Yamaha V577 - "B" speakers always sound flat?

hydro_pyro

I can't figure this out... I have a 5.1 system with an additional pair of speakers assigned to the "B" outputs, which can be enabled or disabled.

The problem is, the "B" outputs produce a different sound than the "A" front channels. No matter which DSP preset or playback mode is used, the audio tone on the "B" outputs stays the same: Raw, flat, and lifeless, with no ambiance, no enhancements, and no EQ or tone control applied. YUCK! Anything I connect to the B outputs sounds like a cheap clock radio.

Does anybody know how to set up the Yamaha V577 so the "B" output channels sound the same as the front "A" channels? Thanks in advance...

Even without a DSP mode selected... Let's say 2-channel mode... The B audio sounds dull and raunchy... Brutally flat. Perhaps any YPAO settings applied to the main front outputs are not applied to the B outputs.

Of course, I can put it in BI-AMP mode to send an identical signal to both sets of speakers, but then I can't switch them on and off independently with the remote.

Before I sold my RF-82s, I had them connected to my "bi-amp" terminals, my RF-35s connected to "speaker A" terminals, and nothing connected to "speaker B" terminals.

This way, I could run either pair individually or both simultaneously.

If I set "speaker A" to normal, it would just be the 35s.

If I set "speaker A" to bi-amp, both pairs would run.

If I set "speaker B" to bi-amp, just the 82s would run.

I realize this may not help you because you're trying to get some sort of DSP to work with your "speaker B", but you never know.

On the RXV577, there are only 7 sets of speaker terminals. The last two channels are assignable. They can be 7.1 rear surround channels in the BASIC mode, they can be full-range bi-amp outputs for the front channels in BI-AMP mode, or they can be zone B outputs on that setting.

With the unit set on ZONE B mode, those outputs don't seem to be affected by ANY tone, EQ, or mode settings. They are always flat and unprocessed. What the hell were they thinking?

Lately, I just put it in bi-amp mode when I want to run my RF's and RB's together while listening to music.

With the unit set on ZONE B mode, those outputs don't seem to be affected by ANY tone, EQ, or mode settings. They are always flat and unprocessed. What the hell were they thinking?

What they were thinking was that most users will not even use the Zone B mode so they opted not to invest any time and $$$ into it any fancy enhancements.

Just my guess.

Bill