How do you repair old LP covers?

muel

I have some old LP covers I'd like to restore.  The vinyl is in great shape but some of the spines are really bad and almost don't exist they have crumbled so much.  Strange how the album art has held up so well.

Share what has worked for you!  I was thinking some kind of archival tape such as http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Book-Inches-Yards-845/dp/B00006IF5R/  or http://www.amazon.com/Archival-Document-Repair-Tape-1inch/dp/B003XEYLZK/

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated!

I kinda liked the 2st one the best.  Ex coworker taped a picture to her locker.  Under the tape has held up well.  the small part that was not covered just faded away.

What I really like about these is their made in USA

The proper way to repair an album cover is to fold HEAVY paper (1" on each side of the fold), use a good glue and glue the paper on the INSIDE of the cover. This way, the repair doesn't show on the outside. When album covers are first put together, The paper holding the cardboard sides is glued on the outside, THEN the paper on which all the artwork and information is glued on the sides. It is almost impossible to repair on the outside without destroying or covering the outside label paper. 

Hope that makes sense!

A couple of observations from a 3M ( and other tape manufacturers ) distributor:  3M 845 is a 3.4 mil ( heavy duty ) book binding repair tape the Lineco product appears to be a very thin page tear repair product.  I seriously doubt the Lineco tape will be suitable to repair a hinged album cover unless it is similarly as thick.  If long term preservation is desired you will need to have a tape that has an acid free adhesive.  3M 845 is acid free and I have no clue about Lineco.  There are likely several brands that fit the bill but will require a little recon.

I am in complete agreement with Rivervalleymgb about trying to repair from the  inside of  cover if at all possible. 

Edited by deep3shot

I have some old LP covers I'd like to restore.  The vinyl is in great shape but some of the spines are really bad and almost don't exist they have crumbled so much.  Strange how the album art has held up so well.

Myself, I'd just go to abay and find a $2 replacement LP & throw the vinyl away.

Myself, I'd just go to abay and find a $2 replacement LP & throw the vinyl away.

Sigh... If only. Some records are really rare and expensive.