Calling all Marines

The Dude

Any Marines out there with challenge coins.  If so I have a couple of questions.  1 what are they(I have seen them and know the physical shape) but what do they stand for.  Second, do you have them displayed in a shadow box or something of alike.  Reason I ask my uncle has about 30 or so, and I would like to make something for him to display them.  However I am not where he is and do not have access to them.  So I will have to do some research and take a guess how to build a display for him.  Any help appreciated. 

Sailor not Marine but I use one like these. Easily made.http://www.thecaseworks.com/servlet/Categories?category=Military+Challenge+Coin+Holders+and+Displays

Purpose? At one time when someone claimed to have been part of a unit you challenged and a coin must be presented to show proof. It got "more lax" from there. I have a few that have deep meanings and the rest I gave to folks that collect them.

Example: when as a civilian I went to retrieve the EP-3 from China during the "Hianan Incident" I got a couple of coins from folks that were appreciative.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1