Geek question - Loudness recording

BBZink

Good Day,

I have used this Spek free software to monitor the quality of my recording and so far, it seem a lot of recording are bad recording with no dynamic range!

So, Is there a software that exist to unloudness music?

Thanks for listening

That could also be used when you are listening to your iPod, iPad or iPhone for re-EQing your tracks to match your hearing in each ear..  The link that I posted above is for your hi-fi system using a computer to play your discs or music downloads to un-squash your loud music tracks.

If you are trying to produce un-squashed tracks from your squashed tracks, then I'd recommend using something other than mp3s or AAC tracks for best results.

Edited by Chris A

Thanks

i found this for the old me on headphone, anyone try it?

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/hearing-corrector/id914949292?l=fr&mt=12

Thanks for ex squashing it, but another question, does sound enhancer is an unloudness device? from apple? and mastering for itunes, mean they unloudness it and than AAC it?

many sunday questions have i?

regards

ps, still reading your link, will get back to you then

Edited by tapajeurs

I'm not arguing, but I'd like to clarify so when I impress my friends with my knowledge I don't look like an idiot!  :D

I read the article you referenced.  It uses the word "squash" only in the title, and it uses the word "squeeze" once in the article.  I've never heard the word before in this context, only "compression.  Is "squash" a commonly used term, or is it more of a cute nickname? 

In other words, is it like the word "squawker" used for mid-range.  It is a goofy sounding word, but 100% accepted as the proper term.

Please pardon my ignorance, in advance.  It's just hard to be a snobby audiophile and use all the fancy words if I don't know what I'm talking about.  B)

Is it "Coke" or "Coca Cola" (...or soda)?  Is it Chevy or Chevrolet (...without the "t')? 

Squash is a term that mastering engineers themselves use to describe the process (a verb), to describe the finished product ("squashed tracks") as an adjective, and as a preposition ("I squashed the mixes").  Compression/compress sound more formal and to me, and much less emotive of what's actually happening.  Especially when used to the levels that the technique is being used today (http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year/desc).

I like the word "squash" to describe the process and the degree of its effect on the finished product--so I use it.  So do mastering engineers.

This is English--and you can "do" almost anything that you like with it...and people usually do...even on this forum. :rolleyes:

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1