Finish this analogy...

mattSER

Okay, I did not mean this as a quality comparison, so let me rephrase:

Onkyo's aggressive, attacking signature sound is to Marantz's warmer, sweeter sound

as

Klipsch's forward, aggressive signature sound is to __________'s warmer, more laid-back sound.

Okay, I did not mean this as a quality comparison, so let me rephrase:

Onkyo's aggressive, attacking signature sound is to Marantz's warmer, sweeter sound

as

Klipsch's forward, aggressive signature sound is to __________'s warmer, more laid-back sound.

Are we talking current production? Both Onkyo and Marantz are what I call mass consumer electronic products and I have no experience with those kind of products. Also I don't think Heritage Klipsch have a forward aggressive signature at all. My H3s are very neutral. Perhaps you can ask a more detailed question and include the model numbers you are trying to compare. 

Yeah, I guess my stupid analogy thing isn't working...

Anywaaayyy, I'm asking for my mom. She prefers a much warmer sound and does not like the horn-loaded sound of her KGs.

So what would be a warmer, more laid back alternative to klipsch?

B&W? Polk?

Edited by mattSER

What?? Damn, this throws a wrench into everything I thought I knew. I've always read that Marantz were warm and tube-like.

GREAT, now I have to go audition a Marantz

hold on buck! that's only my opinion....and I am NOT an audiophile! the reason I say this is that after owning a few onkyo receivers, and getting tired of them breaking down on me, I bought my current SR-5002. MUCH cleaner sound, and MUCH louder than any other onkyo I've owned.

I know that my Marantz has more watts per channel, but the difference in sound was quite dramatic........even for a "mass consumer"such as myself! :rolleyes:

Edited by angusruler

What?? Damn, this throws a wrench into everything I thought I knew. I've always read that Marantz were warm and tube-like.

GREAT, now I have to go audition a Marantz

check out accessories4less.......very good prices on reconditioned Marantz electronics. just bought a UD 5007, and a CC 4003 from them. as a matter of fact, I bought my SR 5002 from them quite a few years back.

Really? Your onkyos were breaking down? My favorite thing about my onkyo is its durability.

I've gone through MANY mass market receivers(Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc) and eventually had problems with all, especially the two pioneers.

I've had my onkyo 530 for almost a decade, beat the hell out of it, and it just refuses to quit.

I've just avoided Marantz because I've always heard that their signature sound is warm, smooth, and sweet. Not exactly my style.

matter.....sorry to be a pain...but....I think Marantz is more aggressive than onkyo. which is why I used to be an onkyo user, and am now a Marantz kindaguy!

Marantz of today is not the warm "tube-like" Marantz(especially their vintage tube amps) of yesteryear.  You have to step up to the Reference Marantz to even come close, IMO.

I think Onkyo/Integra is dead on neutral, today and vintage 80's/90's.  Have not heard their 70's gear.

Bill

I'll check out a modern Marantz if I can, but that would be more for myself if anything.

I got my mom some klipsch KGs because they are definitely the smoothest, warmest klipsch series I've ever heard, but I think she just wants a direct radiator.

There are a few pairs of B&W 602 for sale locally. Would these be warmer than most klipsch?