Velodyne F-1800 sub - $150 (Westminster, CO)

opusk2k9

• Moderators
it is out performing my RSW-15 with ease.

I would expect an 18" sub to dig deeper than the RSW-15 as it drops off pretty quickly at 20Hz.  I would think that the RSW-15 would have a tighter bass response and sound smoother.  Not sure which would have more "output".  The Velodyne HGS18 and DD18 would easily give the RSW-15 a run for it's money and likely outperform it.  I just don't see it happening with the F1800.  My F1500 was deep but it wasn't the most refined bass I had ever heard.  It was boomy to my ears.

RSW-15 vs F-1800

That's a beast for sure.  The RSW-15 is a pretty large sub....the F1800 makes it look small.  :D

I figured if anyone would appreciate a photo it would be you. I was surprised at how big it was. I can't wait to put it through the full tests tomorrow.

I would expect an 18" sub to dig deeper than the RSW-15 as it drops off pretty quickly at 20Hz. I would think that the RSW-15 would have a tighter bass response and sound smoother.

There is no reason in general that a smaller sub should have tighter bass.  Larger subs have bigger motors so cone control should be the same in general.  OP, time to put that sub to work! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
There is no reason in general that a smaller sub should have tighter bass. Larger subs have bigger motors so cone control should be the same in general.

Maybe I've been misinformed all of these years.  I thought smaller subs respond faster and "tighter" than larger subs.  Anyone else heard this but me?

I had hear that as well but never experienced it. I just never liked any of the small subs I had because they never seemed to have enough bass for my taste. I also thought these sevo subs were tighter and had less distortion. But I have no idea because I can't find any good information or reviews on the F-1800, even on the AVS forums.

Yes, I remember. I still own a HGS 18. It was two different statements. Made sense in my head;) 1st statement was just saying there's a big difference in surface area between the 15 and 18. 2nd was referring to speed. I was just saying since they're sealed, they still have a fast response. I wasn't implying one was ported.