Should I get the SF-1s or RF3 system?

cdsang

I have a question about what speaker set I should buy. I was wondering whats a better buy. Should I get the SF-1,SS-1.SC 1 set or the 3 series Reference series speakers? I don't mind paying the extra money if the RF-3 set is that much better. Also I was wondering, how far away should back speakers be away from the back wall? I can do 3 max. I already have it all set up for about 7 feet up the wall. Well any info would be great. Thanx for you time.

3 feet is plenty imho. seven feet up? up the wall?

i had a synergy system with SF-2's inplace of the SB-2's. it was great. but now i am getting an RF system and I will say it is worth the extra money.

go to your dealer and listen to both, only your ears will be able to make the final decision Wink.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

I enjoy my Synergy stuff for movies. Real fun experience. Cant compare to the RF stuff because its more $$ than I'd want to spend. The Synergy arent the best for music.. my Heresys blow them away there. But they are great with movies. Go listen to them is my advice. I plan on enjoying mine for years to come.

ken

------------------

Heresys and Synergys

cdsang-

my experience when listen to both the synergy and reference lines was that the synergy sounded much more layed back and not nearly as articulate as the Reference line. There was no doubt in my mind, i wanted to get the reference line, so i bought the Ref'3s. If you are stretching your budget to get the Ref'3s, then get the RF-3s & RC-3 and then SS-1s for the suround channels.

-Dave

------------------

Home Theater

Well actually I made a small Error. It was the SF-2s Vs the RF-3s. But I don't think it will be much of a difference anyway. I know I can get the syergy system for just 1120. Which I think is a good deal. I have to talk to the dealer about the Reference but he says 80 watts isn't enought power. If you ask me, if I don't have alot of power, wouldn't more effiecent be a good thing? And its ok if i can't max out the system. Well the thing is, I only want to do this system thing once. Also it will be a good thing when I get more power later(if i do). But sound is my biggest thing. O and I can't really try out the system. Well they have this car in the building(yes you read right) that has this system going in it. So its hard to ear the Klipsch with a car just 5 feet out the little room they have for the Klipsch. Yeah, I got a chance to hear the RF-3s without the annyoing car, but I can't compare the Syergyes due to it not being all the same room and that car. So, if the referecees give out alot more detail, then I say its worth it, if its just alittle bit to the point where its almost unnoticeable, then I'll stick with the syergyes. Thank you for your answers.

I just posted most of this paragraph in another spot, so I apologize to those of you who already read it.

I recently bought a pair of new SF-2's. Before doing so I listened to them against the RF-3II's MANY, MANY times at my local Tweeter store. They have the same car set-up outside the room, but closed the room's door at my request and that shut out the noise sufficiently. You should also feel free to ask them to turn off the car's system if necessary. Just because you aren't spending $15,000 doesn't mean you don't deserve good service. I found the SF-2's to be a nice step up from the SF-1's, they just sounded much fuller to me. My novice ears could detect a slight improvement between the SF-2's and the RF-3's, but not near as much difference as between the 1's and 2's. To my ear, the 3's sounded a little richer, but not noticeably clearer than the already clear Synergy speakers. But that's just what I heard. So, I went for the 2's. If money really isn't an issue, get the 3's, I'm sure they are better, if only a little. If money is an issue (which it was in my case), get the 2's. They are great and ALMOST as good as the 3's.

This message has been edited by tripod on 07-30-2002 at 11:52 AM

cdsang

I don't know why 80 watts/channel would not be more than enough in the average size room. I think the SF-2's are listed at a sensitivity of 96dB and the RF-3's at 98dB. Speakers in this efficiency range don't require much power to play loud!

I have a pair of RF-5's (99dB sensitivity) in a 12'x16' room driven with a 2 watt/channel tube amp (that's right 2 watts). I like to listen at high volume on a regular basis and have never maxed out that little tube amp. With a high effiency speaker like Klipsch go for amp quality and don't worry that much about big watts.

Doug C

That sales guy wants to sell you a new reciever and a new amp. It's bullshit. 80watts plenty. And I like it loud. I own a Denon 2802, and it puts out around 80 watts per channal. It's freekin' loud.

IMO, the Ref line is much better.

------------------

Matthew

Klipsch Rocks

"I have to talk to the dealer about the Reference but he says 80 watts isn't enought power."

80 watts is not enough!? For Klipsch speakers! Is the peep mad or just plain ignorant?

From the Synergy SB-2 and up,even 40W RMS per channel is A ok for mid sized rooms.And the same amp power is planty for large rooms if RF-3's and up are used as mains.

Its not like you are buying Totem ManiTwo monitors.LOL

Anyone who knows High-End will tell you these power monsters need at least 200W solid state power amps to start pumping out the goods at realistic levels...and dip under 4 Ohms!

If you ever need a new reciever or amp is to get better quality and not because you lack amp power.Klipsch speakers in general need a few good watts to sing(err SCREAM).

And DOH its no secret the Reference(well to Klipsch anyway)line outperforms the Synergy line.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanx for you answers guys, It might take me a few more weeks to get, but I think I'll save up for then RF-3s. It may not be the best, but there far from the worst. And well, I wouldn't buy from any other speaker company unless its speakers for a car. I am a fan. After I bought my first pair I loved em. So they were little sats that only handled 65 watts with a 93 dB sensitity. They sounded better then anything I heard. So, after that I was hooked. And after I read that story, he didn't seem only as a great speaker engineer, but other good things as well. He may not be famous, but he seems to be just as great as some of the most famous people. So even if I did get the syergyies it would be nice, but I have a feeling i'll be happier with the RF-3s. Well there bigger which is one thing i like, play louder, which i also like and as you guys have said, play better. So thank you guys. So one more question, is monster cable 16 gauge wire good enought?

cdsang - also don't forget that you'll probably want a sub for best HT listening experience, and this adds significantly to cost. While my ultimate goal is to maybe update to the Reference series (or whatever the equivalent is in 10 years or so), like Tripod, I don't feel that I'm missing that much for the budget difference. I love my Synergy system sound.

Also, for what it's worth, I picked up my Synergy series set (SF-2's, SC-1 and SS-1's) for about $925 (new, delivered, and with receipt from authorized dealer!), which left me enough to go after a good sub (SVS).

I bought RP-3's on Ubid, the cost, for that auction anyway, was so cheap I couldn't pass it up. Let me tell you, they sound great! I've read a few posts from members that say to go with the newer and not discontinued RF3,5,7's and I'm sure I would love them but for $528 delivered for a pair I don't think they can be beat, and no need for a sub. Enough of that, love the Reference series but I'm buying a Synergy SC-1 center. One reason, it will fit in my entertainment center and I can adjust it's output level to a level that will match(for me) the RP-3's. I installed IC-650's in the ceiling for my rear surrounds, listened and adjusted output to a good level and I'm loving my HT setup right now. For less than $900 I feel like I've got a great setup. I'm selling my Polk RM 6200 HT's to a friend so my cash outlay is just over $500.

fletch, in case you haven't heard yet, a good match for center is not due to efficiency or output ability, but to timbre/voice matching. the sf center will sound out of place & not give you a near seamless blend as will an rc-3.

sorry if the rc-3 doesn't fit as easily, but you'll be glad later if you find a way to fit in an rc-3 instead.

assuming you have some ear for detail. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa, you might well be correct. I do have some attention to detail, but also have some need for some asthetic appeal as well. So, I choose to go with a speaker that I can place where I want to, and I'll be

able to match it up, perhaps not perfectly, but to provide a high level of sound to my less than perfect ears. I would love to match them all but need to make it look decent.

I know this is off the your matching topic, but is $1365 to much for the whole RF-3,RC3,RS3 package? By the way this is brand new and by an autherized dealer. I think its a good price, but I was just wondering. And the SF-2,SS-1,SC-1 package is $1120. In my opinion its not that big of a jump in price consdering. Well thats all I wanted know for now. And thank you for your answers from the past and futre.