Klipsch RF 7 II and RC 62

Consien

hello

I am new to the forum. I have a pair of klpsch Rf 7 II and as a center a rc 62. I think it sounds great, but I when read the forum, the only centre which would suit these speakers is the rc 64. 

Anyone else also playing wiht a rc 62 instead of a rc 64 II. Why should I upgrade, is the difference that big ?

Why should I upgrade, is the difference that big ?

The finish is the same real wood, so everything matches. The tweeter is what I think is the same 1.75" driver as the RF-7ii.

Most importantly though, for concert blu-rays, this center has super tight midbass when you crank it. I've never heard a center that sounds so good on drums and bass, it anchors much more than voices to the screen really well, just really detailed and tight. It won't cave your chest in or anything but the attack on drums just sounds so sweet. The 62 may be voice matched enough to work but I don't think it can keep up with the 64 in this regard.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Obviously you have some interest in the 64ii or you wouldn't be asking the question. If it's an upgrade itch, I'd scratch it like I did a month ago. The 64 sounds a little bigger and more a tad more nuanced. There is a huge price difference between the two, but in the end I think the 64 will satisfy you in the long run. Remember, the 64 is a sealed speaker and the 62 is front ported. I think it loses a little bit of meat but gains in other areas.

The RC 64II is the Klipsch center for the 7 II's.  Will it be a night and day diffference?  It depends on if the RC 62 not doing the job for you.  The RF series use the same type of tweeter and drivers expect the size.  I use an old RC 64 with RF 7's and am pefectly happy.  Some will say that the tweeter of the front thress should be the same.  For me, the 1.25 tweeter keeps up with the RF 7's 1.75 in. tweeter.  As mentioned, there is a sizable price difference between the RC 62 II and RC 64 II.

You have to also consider space constraint if this is going in a TV stand.  Others will chime in with there opinions and experience.  Once you get the itch, it dose not go away easy, lol.

hello

I am new to the forum. I have a pair of klpsch Rf 7 II and as a center a rc 62. I think it sounds great, but I when read the forum, the only centre which would suit these speakers is the rc 64. 

Anyone else also playing wiht a rc 62 instead of a rc 64 II. Why should I upgrade, is the difference that big ?

Consien,

Welcome to the forum.

I bought an RC-62 and a pair of RB-35's at Sound Advice back in April 2008.  When a pair of mint cherry RF-63's came up for sale on my local craigslist about 2 weeks later, I returned the RB-35's and purchased the RF-63's.  I ran them with my RC-62 for over a year with great results.  When an online retailer put their RC-64's on sale for $575.00 shipped, I immediately jumped on the deal.  As good a center channel as the RC-62 is, the RC-64 is in another league.  It complemented my RF-63's in a way the RC-62 could not.

No regrets at all selling the RC-62 and keeping the RC-64.

Bill

here's my thought. when you can find one for a really good deal, snag it. while i am sure its a little better sounding, i am sure it is the matching one for timber purposes. 

while i do not feel the rc-64 is in a "different league" (sorry bill) i do believe it is a slightly better center. most people you read that think it was a big upgrade all had smaller centers before AND got a good deal on the 64. so when you take into account that you might have only payed a couple hundred to upgrade its easy to think its night and day better. but if you bought a new rc-64ii at 1300 or got even a deal like 899 like some places sell them "open box" for and sold your rc-62ii for 300 if your lucky i don't feel the 64ii is even close to being 600 better. now if you could snag one in the 600$ range i would say for 300 to have a bit better performance, matching tweeters, and real wood veneer (which is much nicer) then id say that is worth the 300$ 

All of this is just my opinion. most will disagree with me and that is fine. i have had every gen 4 reference center klipsch offers, the thx ultra center, and also now a cinema center channel. so i have kind of bracketed them in a performance ratio based upon their retail price and then also i always remember what i picked them up for and sometimes that plays a big factor in upgrading. when it can be done cheap, its much easier. 

I can directly compare the RC-64 with a KL-650-THX and in my opinion the RC-64 is in fact in a different league on the midbass. Hell it takes three KL-650's just to hold my RC-64 up, I'm using them as speaker stands temporarily. :) THX actually sounds better in terms of being more realistic on male voices but it can't hang with the 64 on drums and bass guitar. Music in general sounds better on the 64 due to warmth and more realistic (less tinny) cymbals, but on certain instruments it goes way beyond that, on some material the 64 is very strong while the sound is barely there with the THX, it's a pretty big difference. Kick drums are anchored to my screen which was never possible with the THX. With that in mind, I can't imagine that the RC-62 would be significantly better than the THX in this regard. All of them are nice but the 64 is pretty amazing.

• Like 1

Remember, the 64 is a sealed speaker and the 62 is front ported. I think it loses a little bit of meat but gains in other areas.

The 64 handles bass so well that Audessey on my system tried to cross it over at 40 hz. You're not losing any meat.

• Like 1

Remember, the 64 is a sealed speaker and the 62 is front ported. I think it loses a little bit of meat but gains in other areas.

The 64 handles bass so well that Audessey on my system tried to cross it over at 40 hz. You're not losing any meat.

:o  :D

Edited by Mudkicker

I can directly compare the RC-64 with a KL-650-THX and in my opinion the RC-64 is in fact in a different league on the midbass. Hell it takes three KL-650's just to hold my RC-64 up, I'm using them as speaker stands temporarily. :) THX actually sounds better in terms of being more realistic on male voices but it can't hang with the 64 on drums and bass guitar. Music in general sounds better on the 64 due to warmth and more realistic (less tinny) cymbals, but on certain instruments it goes way beyond that, on some material the 64 is very strong while the sound is barely there with the THX, it's a pretty big difference. Kick drums are anchored to my screen which was never possible with the THX. With that in mind, I can't imagine that the RC-62 would be significantly better than the THX in this regard. All of them are nice but the 64 is pretty amazing.

your hearing is so much different than anyone I know. Haha. I have never had one person to my house that thought my thx ultra stuff was brother (tinny) sounding than any if my reference speakers. The thx ultras in my opinion are much more laid back. And as for producing vocals better? Well that's what center channels are for. Not for kick drums so I'd disagree with you there. Not sure which mode you listen to your music in but really shouldn't be any drums coming from your center channel. Thx just isnt a very musical speaker which most of us all know. I'd say both have their place.

your hearing is so much different than anyone I know. Haha. I have never had one person to my house that thought my thx ultra stuff was brother (tinny) sounding than any if my reference speakers.

I was specifically talking about cymbals. RF-7ii's and the RC-64 has a lower and fuller tone than THX on cymbals and hi-hats when directly comparing the same material, aka. playing Metallica through them at high volumes. Comparatively, yeah the THX is a little tinny here, cymbal crashes seem to have a higher pitch and not as much lower depth. This is the only time I have noticed this.

The thx ultras in my opinion are much more laid back.

Yes they are very flat which is great for speech. "the clone wars" is awesome on them. I really like them but do think the high end reference stuff has a much better rock growl.

And as for producing vocals better? Well that's what center channels are for.

I think the RC-64 exaggerates the lower frequencies of male voices sometimes. That's the only thing I don't like. Crossing over at 80 hz helps with this a ton but it still happens sometimes. THX sounds better in this regard, more realistic.

Not for kick drums so I'd disagree with you there.

Not for the 60-80 hz part of kick drums as compared to your wall of six 15's, no. But, the attack of the beater on the skin does in fact sound really nice and super tight. The thud from the subs follows the attack and it is anchored to the screen.

Not sure which mode you listen to your music in but really shouldn't be any drums coming from your center channel.

I'm not talking about two channel music, I'm talking about concert blu rays like the Metallica "through the never" movie that I watch 2-3 times a week. Yeah, drums and lots of other stuff comes through the center, and yeah, the RC-64 sounds nice when it does.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Again, your opinion......you know what they say about those...

• Like 1

Not for kick drums so I'd disagree with you there. Not sure which mode you listen to your music in but really shouldn't be any drums coming from your center channel.

I am with MLO on this one.  When listening in "Enhanced Stereo" mode on my NAD pre/pro, I feel kick drums in my chest coming from the center channel(as well as fronts).  The sealed cabinet puts out very accurate reproductions of kick drums like Heresys do.

Bill 

One thing for sure, front ported has no real bearing on how good the RC 62  center may be.  I prefer front ported for easy placement.  In the end, the OP has to decide.  Once you have an RC 64, few ever go back.  Heck I ran my RF 7's with an Icon VC 25 and that kept up just fine.

I am with MLO on this one.  When listening in "Enhanced Stereo" mode on my NAD pre/pro, I feel kick drums in my chest coming from the center channel(as well as fronts).  The sealed cabinet puts out very accurate reproductions of kick drums like Heresys do.  
guess i am a more a of a purist. if it comes in 2 channel then i only listen in stereo. if it comes in surround then i listen in whatever codec it comes in. and for home theater i would still take a center that produces vocals better than a center that sounds better with drums.  

for home theater i would still take a center that produces vocals better than a center that sounds better with drums.  

What if your center channel does both well? ;)  :D

guess i am a more a of a purist. if it comes in 2 channel then i only listen in stereo.

The center channel "centers" the kick drums kind of like in the photo.

90s_live.jpg

Bill 

Edited by willland

What if your center channel does both well?

you traded your 64 for a kpt series speaker?? :lol:  :lol:

The center channel "centers" the kick drums kind of like in the photo.

i guess i should throw in a blu ray concert over the weekend and see if i can hear what you guys are talking about.

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

i guess i should throw in a blu ray concert over the weekend and see if i can hear what you guys are talking about.

Watch "through the never" and crank up One and Master Of Puppets. Super tight kick drums coming through the center. Something that may surprise some people is that a good chunk of the bass drum sound actually comes through the tweeter. 2-4khz gives kick drums a real nice snap, makes it sound super tight. The RC-64 sounds great with this kind of material.

Thanks guys will go look in to it. I think sound is a very personell thing, but I can honestly say that when upgrading from the 82 to the RF 7 that was a big step forward, Amazing sound, So hopefully I will experience the same with the center, any toughts on this ? will I have the same wow factor ?