RB-81 as a center

Mudkicker

I am currently gutting my basement and prepping for home theatre.  I have RF-82 as my Fronts and am thinking of using a single RB-81 as a center.  I would like to mount it to the wall right above the TV using an adjustable wall mount and angle it down.

1.  Is it a good idea?

2.  Will it look ugly?

3.  What wall mount do you suggest that can support and tilt the RB-81?

Edited by Mudkicker

I ran an RB-35 as a center between RF-25's and it sounded fantastic, sadly, it didn't pass the WAF. That's is how I ended up with wall mounted Gallery series in the living room. Had it been up to me it never would have changed. The sound was much more dynamic and full than it is now, even with the addition of one heck of a mini sub picking up the slack for the lack of bass in the Gallery's sound. It should be noted that when I did that the horns were nearly perfectly horizontal across all three front speakers. Very even sound output having not mounted the center either higher, or lower than the towers. Good luck!

Edited by Tremors

Believe it or not I am unable to find one single picture online of the setup that I want to achieve.

Might be easier to set the thing on the ground kinda like this.  If you were to put one above the screen, the top of the bookshelf would be close to whatever that round thing is on the wall and the tweeter will be pretty far away from the screen.  

Hometheater1.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I used these Pinpoint Mounts with my RB-35's and they are fantastic.  The only problem is they only angle down about 7 degrees.  Not sure if that is enough angle for your setup.

Did you have to drive a screw into the speaker with this mount?

I have the same mounts with my RB75's. The instructions tell you to use small screws thru the side clamps into the speaker. Not wanting to do that, I drilled a hole thru the mounts bottom plate and went into the threaded hole on the speaker bottom. Very sturdy mounts imo.

I believe the RB81's also have a threaded insert on the bottom

post-51278-0-52100000-1416006249_thumb.j

• Moderators
Did you have to drive a screw into the speaker with this mount?

The clamps are very secure but I didn't want to take any chances of the speaker falling several feet.  Would likely kill someone.  I ended up putting two of the included screws in the bottom of the speaker.