Disappointed with my RF-7s....

mattSER

So I've been living with my RF-7s(first gen) for about two weeks now and I really want to like them, but I'm having some major problems.

This is the first time I've actually experienced the notorious Klipsch harshness and listening fatigue.

I've read about adding a 10ohm resistor to to HF board, but I'm really not very willing to crack these babies open and try my hand with a soldering gun.

So I have a couple of questions.

1. Can it be that my room is just too small? How would a larger environment affect the balance of the horn vs the woofers?

2. Does the resistor mod reduce output of the horn across the entire frequency range of the tweeter? Or does it only affect the lower frequencies that cause the "ringing" and harshness?

3. If the resistor mod effects the horn's entire range, can I simply bi-amp the RF-7s and reduce the power to the horn slightly in comparison to the woofers? Will this give me the same results as the resistor mod?

Like I said, I'm not willing to modify the speakers myself for risk of damaging or deterring future buyers if I end up selling them.

As of right now, my RF-35s sound much better to my ears than these RF-7s. The 35s simply do not deliver the strong impact of, say, a snare drum to the chest like the RF-7s, but they are so much more well balanced and pleasing to my ears.

AM I CRAZY?!?!?

2. Does the resistor mod reduce output of the horn across the entire frequency range of the tweeter? Or does it only affect the lower frequencies that cause the "ringing" and harshness? 3. If the resistor mod effects the horn's entire range, can I simply bi-amp the RF-7s and reduce the power to the horn slightly in comparison to the woofers? Will this give me the same results as the resistor mod?

It only affects the harshness.

Bi-amping will not help.

Send me your two crossovers and 2 resistors and I'll put them on there for you and send them back.

I can't imagine the resistor mod hurting resale.  All you'd have to do is snip one wire and the stock sound will return.

• Like 2

I guess what I'm most worried about is just opening the speakers. Is there anything I can accidentally ruin? Such as seals?

I have absolutely NO experience doing anything like this. My roommate has a soldering gun and will help me with that part of it. I'm just completely paranoid about opening them up and not getting things back together correctly.

I also have a ? are you driving them with an Onkyo ? I tried that...not good. You have to have a really good front end for 7's. I had mine hooked to Rotels, BK, Parasound, Outlaw and the like and loved em' for 10 years. As to the mod...if you're even kinda handy should be no trouble.

Edited by Fish

I also have a ? are you driving them with an Onkyo ? I tried that...not good. You have to have a really good front end for 7's. I had mine hooked to Rotels, BK, Parasound, Outlaw and the like and loved em' for 10 years. As to the mod...if you're even kinda handy should be no trouble.

Agree on both counts.

To pull the crossovers you need to pull the tweeter at a minimum.  That's the only way you can remove the wires.  The tweeter is pretty heavy so it's best to lay the speaker on it's back.  I can talk you through it if you're interested but you do need to give them a good signal and clean power to get the best out of them.

driving them with an Onkyo...not good.

QFT

I had to google that :blink:

Me too, and I'm pretty sure I'm the youngest one here

I'm picking up an Emotiva later today. I'll try that out before making a decision on the mod.

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll be back later.

It saddens me that the consensus on my Onkyo is so negative, but it should work well as a pre-amp, right?

• Like 1

It saddens me that the consensus on my Onkyo is so negative.

well... Surely no one expects an Onkyo to be a "be all end all type" investment in amplification.I am sure from a HT perspective it would perform moderately.

But 2 channel deserves better.

Edited by Schu

Well, now I'm wondering if these speakers are too much for me anyway now.

Now I'm going have invest in new separates and probably modify the crossovers...

If I run my PC directly to the Emotiva, will I be able to judge the sound quality accurately without a nice external DAC?

What's the consensus on how Emotiva plays with the RF-7s?

I think the crux of what is being said is... it's not the speakers.

though even the 7's could probably be mod'ed to perform better.

what is your listening room like? hardwood or bare floors?

Edited by Schu
  • Like 2

I think schu kinda nailed it. To answer your ? the Emotiva is ok with 7's, as long as the Onkyo is out of the mix. Having said that, I chased that rabbit down a deep 10 year long hole with 7's, with much success. Then I realized I used to love music when I was a kid, listening on an AM radio or 45 record. I now listen to the music not the mechanics.

Edited by Fish

The room is carpeted and pretty "warm" overall. I don't think the room is much of a problem.

I think the issue I'm having now is the fact the I was really happy with my RF-35s and 25s, but now with these RF-7s I'm opening up a whole new road that I don't think I can really afford to travel.

And I was going to sell my 35s and 25s to cover the purchase of the 7s, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to be better off selling the 7s because they are easily worth more than the other two pairs.

I have a few months to make a decision, so I'm just thinking out loud here. :-)

And Fish, I totally get what you're saying, but I'm happy listening to the mechanics by day and the music at night. Remember, I'm in a state where "extreme listening enjoyment" is legal.

• Like 1

Think of the RF-7 like a looking glass with the amplifier and source on the other side, and your view through it just got a whole lot clearer.

Onkyo has been leaning on "noise shaping" (a fancy term for vector-based error correction) to sell their antiquated A/B amplifier sections for well over a decade now.

We've all been saying the same thing, it's time to try a different amp / receiver. 

The good news is there's some excellent gear floating around the web these days. You don't have to break the bank.  B)