HELP!!!..K-horns blowing fuses!

jstanton

Last night my K-horns both blew their fuses at the same time. Replaced them and they did it again after a few minutes. I checked the wiring to the amp (Yamaha DSP-A1), jiggled all the connections and made sure there weren't any loose strands shorting to the wrong post or anything like that. Replaced the fuses again and watched a movie thru the amp with no further problem.

However I'm afraid that if I turn them up to the level I had them when they blew before (I was listening to some fairly loud music), they'll blow again.

Any ideas what might be causing them to burn fuses? I've had them for several years now and this is the first time this has happened...

Thanks

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony

Amp: Yamaha DSPA1

Mains: '99 K-horns

Center: KLF-C7

Front Effects: KSP-S6s

Rear Surrounds: KLF-30s

Sub: KSW-15

DVD: Pioneer DV-114

MD: Sony Mini-Disc Recorder (Walkman)

VCR: vc-what? what difference does it make??

I would be looking a little sideways at your amp. There is a real danger of damaging your horns particularly the mids and tweeters.

The fact that fuses are blowing on both channels make me suspect that the amp is failing.

Were you applying a lot of boost on the tone controls by any chance?

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Hey Lynn:

Yes I was playng a bit with the tone controls at the time while playing The Who Live at Leeds, "Heaven & Hell" at the time. I was attempting to push the volume towards live concert levels at the time, but I've played that loud a lot longer than that before though and not had any problem.

I just got off the phone with Klipsch Tech Support in Indianapolis and the guy I talked to said he didn't know what to tell me, that it could be too many things, and just to replace the fuse. Had nothing whatsover to suggest besides that.

Do I just wait and see if the fuse blowing continues and watch for plumes of smoke or wait for something to fail catastrophically?

Thanks

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony

Quote:

Yes I was playng a bit with the tone controls at the time while playing The Who Live at Leeds, "Heaven & Hell" at the time. I was attempting to push the volume towards live concert levels at the time, but I've played that loud a lot longer than that before though and not had any problem.

End Quote:

Leave your tone controls flat and try the same piece or pieces that you were playing. If the the fuses remain intact then you were likely over equalizing.

As Ray Garrison c>said in another similar thread:

http://216.37.9.58/cgi-bin/ubb/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum1&topic=002244

"If you were boosting the deep bass by 15dB (quite possible if you had the bass control cranked all the way over) and you were playing the system at max volume level, you were pumping almost FORTY TIMES as much power into the woofers (assuming the amp was able to deliver full power at whatever volume level you were using) as you were putting into the midrange. No wonder the k33 gave up."

I strongly suspect that is what happened to your horns and fortunately the fuses blew before the woofers died. That said; Do not assume that you can persistently overpower the Khorns with impunity. Before the fuses burn out - a metal filament literally melts from excessive heat - that excess power has been overheating the Voice Coils of the Khorn's drivers and ever so slightly deforming the wire and the form it is wrapped upon. Even if you never actually kill your speakers you may permanently impair them. I don't think it likely that driving them so hard as to blow the fuses a couple of times will have caused any damage but repeatedly abusing the speakers in that manner is a very bad idea.

This message has been edited by lynnm on 07-31-2002 at 09:19 PM

Hey Lynn:

Well, after extensive testing I could not duplicate the fuse blowing episode in my K-horns I described yesterday. Last night I pushed the system well past the point I had had it at and for a relatively extended period of time. So whatever caused the fuses to blow previously, it seems to me like it wasn't dependent on the playing level or it would most likely have done it again. What I am hoping is that it was just some transitory effect (?).

However, this little episode is bringing up another question. I have the K-horns bi-wired. The way they are bi-wired, the second set of fuses (for the tweeter & midrange) are now by-passed, leaving them "unprotected". So when I blew the fuses the other night it was actually the woofer which blew: the tweeter and midrange kept working.

Is it a good idea to have the tweeter/midrange unprotected like that? Hopefully the woofer was protected, but the tweeter/midrange definitely were/are not.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions?

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony

The midrange and tweeter should be fused as they are more delicate than the woofer. That said so far as I am aware most speakers have no fuses at all.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

For what it's worth, I'd strongly recommend against bypassing the fuses, particularly if you're pushing to concert levels. Much easier to blow the mid and tweet than the woofer.

I'd also be suspicious of your amp. You may have a problem that is just starting to show up as sporadic, but will get more frequent and severe w/ time.

You could have had a hiccup in the AC supply making some transient the filtering in the Yamaha power supply could not eliminate. When pushing your amp to extremes you are entering risky territory. Especially with Mid and Tweet fuses bypassed. Forewarned is forearmed.

Hey Guys guess what I found when I got home last night? There was no power in the electrical outlets the system was plugged into, as well as to several other outlets in the house. What was weird was that resetting the breaker did not return power. In fact, the breaker wasn't even tripped...

I reckon the landlord's gonna have to get the electrician out, but I guess this catastrophic loss of house AC current is pretty much consistent with there being some sort of electrical disturbance upstream from the amplifier (which for some reason didn't affect the amp but toasted the fuses in the K-Horns).

Also, several days ago the TV (which is on the same line) turned off for no apparent reason. Hmmmm....

Will a Lowe's or Radio Shack power conditioner suffice for protection from this sort of electrical anomaly?

Why are k-horns fused when most speakers aren't?

Also, would anyone have any idea why the house current would not come back on after flipping the breaker?

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony WEGA

Center: KLF-C7 & JBL S- Center

MD: Sony Mini-Disc

Recorder (Walkman)

VCR: JVC S-VHS

This message has been edited by jstanton on 08-03-2002 at 11:12 AM

You did pay the power bill didn't you?

IMHO you should leave the breaker for the circuit in question off until the reason for the failure is determined. Could be bad wiring, bad breaker, bad panel, etc. All are potential fire hazards.

Fuses can get "tired" if operated close to their limits. I have seen fast acting fuses droop as they aged. Finally, after awhile, they blow when they shouldn't.

Klipschorns are fused to protect them from people like you.

If you were trying to drive your Klipschorns to live concert levels, and were trying to get the same kind of bass out of them, I can imagine blowing the fuses and/or tweeters. Maybe you should get a good subwoofer so you don't have to drive the Klipschorns as hard.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to be a jerk or something, but why do you need so much volume to drive your K-horns, if they dont burn up, youll have no hearing to enjoy them anymore anyway!

So i guess youll have to enjoy them by feeling the bass!!

So if i were you id keep the woofers working!!

In a logical reply, un biamp them back to original, and see what happens?

If this was taken as a harsh comment i apologize!

From one K-horn lover to another

Regards Jim

Just get some solid metal bar, and you will have about a 30,000 amp rating!!!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

• 1 month later...