Klipsch ATMOS Home Speakers?

Sancho Panza

That is actually a pretty cool idea Fuzzy. You could make some slant risers in such a way that you could aim the reflection to the ceiling where you want it to be aimed. Atmos speakers are fixed aim, and really aren't going to work well if the seating position is far enough back that the angle of the reflected sound is too far off axis. 

Those speakers are designed for flat hard surfaces like drywall. If you have acoustical tile dropped ceilings or vaulted ceilings, ceiling speakers have to be used. IMO, Atmos ceiling speakers is what Klipsch should be concentrating on. The problem with ceiling speakers is directivity. With a reflection of sound emanating from the corner channels, the radiated sound is non-directive. The goal of a good Atmos ceiling speakers would be non-directivity and timbre matching the rest of the speakers. Also, timbre matching is a key goal in Atmos for ALL the speakers. In older channel separation types, timbre matching for the front 3 was the goal.

IMO, Klipsch should create a reference line of non-directive Reference II speakers. I flipped this speaker upside down to show one of the ways this could be accomplished.

post-47699-0-15440000-1417748432_thumb.j

• Like 1

There has got to be a better way!

There always is. 

However, willingness and motivation are highly variable...IMHE.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Atmos is cool but i think its in the realm of 3d tv's.  I will give it some time before i jump on the band wagon if ever.  I think its a neat idea and I am all for being immersed.  Just need to see how it pans out

I agree with you on waiting to see how it pans out, but the difference between that and 3D is that everyone that seems to purchase the AVRs and mount the speakers seems to love it--I have not seen on bad review and the new Dolby Surround Sound function to upcovert existing material that's not Dolby Atmos also has rave reviews.

Edited by tkdamerica
  • Like 1

Best I can tell the real push for Atmos is from the movie creators due to making their job easier. If you have Atmos in the home that means they only have to mix the thing one time. Otherwise they have to mix it for Atmos in commercial theaters, then remix it all over again from scratch for your home 5/7.1 setup. The object definitions are already there from the commercial mix. With Atmos in the home they just have to tweak that and dumb it down a little. Ceiling speakers are cool and all but this situation is probably much bigger.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Best I can tell the real push for Atmos is from the movie creators due to making their job easier. If you have Atmos in the home that means they only have to mix the thing one time. Otherwise they have to mix it for Atmos in commercial theaters, then remix it all over again from scratch for your home 5/7.1 setup. The object definitions are already there from the commercial mix. With Atmos in the home they just have to tweak that and dumb it down a little. Ceiling speakers are cool and all but this situation is probably much bigger.

Unfortunately, remixing the soundtrack from commercial cinema to home theater will always have to occur due to other factors, notably the differences in EQ, delays, and position of the surround images (commercial cinemas are set up for more than one or two channels per side or back of the auditorium, in addition to the height channels behaving much differently in a cinema than in a home theater (apparently), as well as the time delays having to be reset for each channel for home theater.  It ends up being a big job, no matter what type of surround soundtrack is used. 

Recommend Floyd Toole's book for these type of discussions--they're excellent.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Random Atmos question.  I've read through Dolby's Atmos literature and it talks about incorporating in-ceiling or up-firing speakers into a 5.1 or 7.1 setup where all surround speakers are at ear level.

It does not address systems which have front height speakers located above ear level.  Anyone know how front heights would be integrated into an Atmos setup?

• Like 1

Just a guess on the FW, FH speakers but, I would think they would work normally, meaning ambience and  large sound stage.  The Atmos speakers will have dedicated channel effects not contained in the FH or FW  channels.

My understanding is that one of the big Atmos advantages relates to the coding of sounds within the soundtrack as audio objects which have spatial coordinates. The Atmos processor then distributes the sound of each audio object across your array of speakers so that the sound appears to originate from a particular point in the room.

This is more than just having background sound effects coming from the ceiling. My question was relating to the ability of the Atmos processor to include front heights within the array of speakers.

• Like 1

Trinnov will be supporting the use of wides in the Atmos processing. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/cedia_expo_2014/part1/sound_developments_ltd.htm

Found this information in the Pioneer file: http://www.pioneer.eu/files/dolby_atmos/resources/files/Dolby-Atmos-Home-Theater-Installation-Guidelines.pdf

With both it seems the wides are considered more front surrounds. This would lead me to think they should be a good match for the other side surrounds. 50 degrees inward max, and L/R channel 30 deg max. They are no closer than 20 degrees apart. See diagram.

post-47699-0-73360000-1424438096_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1