Bought a New 55" LED Curved 4K Samsung

johnnydrama

And then I returned it. It was the UN55HU7250 model for $1298 on Black Friday and it couldn't hold a candle to my nearly 5 year old Sammy B550 Plasma. I tried calibrating all night and never was able to achieve a satisfying picture quality. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I'm now looking to buy the discontinued Sammy F8500 series Plasma. Hailed as the greatest TV Samsung has ever produced. I was sucked in by the cosmetics of the CURVED screen and never thought PQ would be an issue. Just an FYI to everyone and obviously just my honest opinion. 

• Like 1

And then I returned it. It was the UN55HU7250 model for $1298 on Black Friday and it couldn't hold a candle to my nearly 5 year old Sammy B550 Plasma. I tried calibrating all night and never was able to achieve a satisfying picture quality. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I'm now looking to buy the discontinued Sammy F8500 series Plasma. Hailed as the greatest TV Samsung has ever produced. I was sucked in by the cosmetics of the CURVED screen and never thought PQ would be an issue. Just an FYI to everyone and obviously just my honest opinion. 

If you are able to find one for a decent price you'll be in for quite a treat! I am so pleased with the F8500, easily once calibrated, was one of the nicest pictures I've seen.

Eh, say what you will about LED, but I was able to calibrate a very beautiful picture on my sharp q+ 70" led tv. 4k is garbage tech for now. There is very little source for it, and the picture is just as clear from a good 8 feet away. Closer and you begin to see the difference between 4k and 1080. As for the curve screens, I will never invest in one. Samsung makes a very good tv if you get some of the higher end stuff. 7100 on up looks darn nice.

• Like 1

Yea. I saw one of those curved screenTV's at our local Frys store. It is really hard to tell at store because they are all set to tourch mode. We were just talking about that the other day. When my Sony SXRD goes out I really do not know what to buy. The Panasonic plasma ..got to keeep it .....helps keep the house warm on cold nights

Eh, say what you will about LED, but I was able to calibrate a very beautiful picture on my sharp q+ 70" led tv. 4k is garbage tech for now. There is very little source for it, and the picture is just as clear from a good 8 feet away. Closer and you begin to see the difference between 4k and 1080. As for the curve screens, I will never invest in one. Samsung makes a very good tv if you get some of the higher end stuff. 7100 on up looks darn nice.

Agree, too new to the consumer. i give everything three or four years, by then you will also see if it's going to stick around.

That thought saved me thousands on the 3D that i ALMOST went for a few years back. i know it's a bi-ch to wait, be it's worth it in the long run.

Edited by minermark

I am sincerely more into the projector side of cinema entertainment in my home but I can say without a doubt that for the most cinematic experience and picture quality from television sets the Pioneer elite Kuros were the most stunning I still own an elite 70 inch LED over my fireplace and it doesn't hold a candle to my 60 inch pioneerelite kuri pro 151. The Panasonic plasmas are also up there in terms of amazing cinematic picture qualityThe bright and vivid picture quality that these new LEDs display may be attractive to the untrained eye but after I did set has been calibrated they pale in comparison to the old plasmas. One thing that may add that I believe is a beneficial aspect is the clarity and sharpness but not that accurate in color.

Also keep in mind that no thanks to Samsung's own marketing blunders, "LED" is not OLED. 

CHASLS2 made that point of distinction earlier, but I'm thinking a lot of people simply gloss over that.

There's a huge difference between the two.

"LED" direct-view televisions, as they are currently marketed at the big box stores, are still LCD  <_< ....and that means the image will always ghost and never get dark enough in comparison to anything else.  :emotion-45:

There have been true LED direct-view televisions out for last 20 years in the form of Jumbotron-type large format displays. If you've ever been to Times Square, a major concert, or an NFL game in person, you've been privy to what's only now hitting the consumer home market.

rizzosign.0.jpg

Edited by Quiet_Hollow