Klipsch KLF home theater setups

Jasen

Hey gang:

I was just wanting to hear from all of you who have the Klipsch KLF speakers and what centers, surrounds, components, etc. you're using for your home theater systems and what tweaks you can recommend for better sound performance.

I just purchased the KLF30's and the C-7 center, but am not sure where to go from here (there are quite a few possibilities).

Thanks!

I have KLF 10's up front with a C-7 center. I have an SW-12II subwoofer with Definitive Technology BP 6's for surrounds. The reason for these is that I had them running as mains before I got the 10's. I had traded my KG 4.5's in to get the SW-12II subwoofer and picked up the BP6's for a song at the same store ($325 for the pair) since I thought I liked the bipolar sound (along with a lot of peer pressure). Well, after a couple of years I realized I made a huge mistake and needed to get back into Klipsch speakers and picked up some medium oak KLF 10's for $428/pair. What a steal!! I haven't bothered changing out the surrounds since I don't agree with the pricing on "matching" surrounds. The KSP S6's are out of the question because I would have to pay more for them than I did the 10's and I'm not a huge fan of wsdt (so the RS's don't thrill me either). Another set of 10's would be nice but I don't have the room. I'm just waiting to find a good deal on some RB 3's or 5's to put in the rear, but I think they are asking too much for those also. Maybe if I can get a decent trade in on the BP6's would I consider it.

------------------

My System So Far:

Fronts: KLF 10 (Med. Oak)

Center: KLF C7 (Med. Oak)

Surrounds: Def. Tech BP6

Sub: SW-12II (Black Ash)

Receiver: H/K AVR 25II

DVD: Panasonic DVDR31S

CD: Yamaha CDC 655

Jasen:

Go to the Forum search and do a search for the user name HornEd. This is the most awesome display of KLF series in HT I can remember seeing. There are many posts by him where he explains why he built his system the way he did. HornEd custom built a center channel with a KLF-30!! The setup has three KLF-30s across the front. Check it out.

Congrats on the KLF purchase. You'll love them for HT and music also.

Here's my set-up:

KLF-30 - Mains

KLF-10 - CC

KLF-20's & 10's - surrounds

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sub

I've also got another set of 20's which I'll use as surrounds and move the 10's to the back center when I build a dedicated HT.

As I stated in your other post "I" didn't feel the C-7 was a good match for the 30's, at least at the loud volumes I use when viewing. The KLF-10 conversion does a MUCH better job. I'm still looking for a solo 20/30 to convert for the right price. I got the '10 as a scratch & dent for $150 and used some scrap MDF to make a new front, so a lot less $$$ than a C-7 for much better sound/integration across the front.

I power mine with a Denon 3802, which lets you use 2 sets of surrounds. At 110WPC it has plenty of power and I normally listen at/near reference level.

Gotta love those Legends....Mike

------------------

KLF-30 - mains

KLF-10 - center channel

KLF 10's/20's - surrounds

KLF-C7 - back center

DIY dual Tempest sonosub

This message has been edited by Mlstrass on 08-02-2002 at 09:10 AM

KLF-20's mains

KLF-C7 center

RCR-5's (in-ceiling) surrounds

Velo CT-100. I am going to upgrade to the SVS 20-39PCi before their sale prices are over on 9/31.

Casually looking for another set of 20's to modify into a center channel (a la HornEd).

ROCK ON!

lovin'them legends!!

i want a single med.oak klf-20 to replace my c-7 ctr. ch. the c-7 is a really good center, but it does not(cannot)sound like the klf-20/30. i've got a space problem that will have to be adressed as the klf-20 won't quite fit under my tv stand, but i WILL make it work... Smash.gif i am also very pleased w/the rsw-15, although that was the last speaker i bought. the klf-30 put out some serious bass, but a serious sub, especially w/a digital receiver, made a significant improvement in all-around performance.

congrats!!

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Hey Jasen:

My Yamaha DSP-A1 is runnng KLF-30's for rear surrrounds, 2 Klipschorns for the mains, for center channel a C7 and a JBL S-center, KSP-S6s for front effects, and a KSW-15 and Yamaha YST-something-or other for subwoofers.

I guess my C7 doesn't really match the K-horns, that's why I added the extra JBL S-Center in order to "fill in the holes", so to speak (the amp has the capability of running 2-center channels). The C7 sits on top of the TV and the JBL S-Center sits on the floor below the TV, angled up a bit.

When the old lady is not around I like to crank the amp just to the point at which the eyeballs begin to twitch but not so much that they begin bleeding.

------------------

32" Hi-scan Sony WEGA

Amp: Yamaha DSPA1

Mains: '99 K-horns

Center: KLF-C7 & JBL S- Center

Front Effects: KSP-S6s

Rear Surrounds: KLF-30s

Sub: KSW-15

DVD: Pioneer DV-114

MD: Sony Mini-Disc

Recorder (Walkman)

VCR: JVC S-VHS

This message has been edited by jstanton on 08-02-2002 at 03:23 PM

I would really like to do something like "HornEd" has done with turning a KLF30 into a center channel speaker. I emailed him a couple of days ago but haven't heard anything back from him yet. Hopefully, he will read this post and respond.

It would be great to find out how to reconfigure a KLF30 or KLF20 into a center speaker!

Also, I'm trying to figure out what to use for surrounds. I could get another pair of KLF30's or maybe use a couple of C-7's for surrounds and rear center. I really haven't read anywhere in these posts on which Klipsch surround speaker really matches well with the KLF30's. Thanks!

Jasen

Geez, now I've done it.

This morning I was bidding on a pair of KLF30's on Ubid & the price didn't seem that high, so I figured I would be outbid since there were 7 hours left on that auction.

Well it figures - I ended up being one of the high bidders and now I have a second pair of KFL30's on their way to me. Yikes. I haven't even received the first pair I got from Ubid.

(I may end up with "HornEd's" system after all) cwm8.gif

This message has been edited by Jasen on 08-02-2002 at 07:36 PM

Congratulations Jasen... now you need only one more pair of KLF-30's to complete a basic 6.1 approach to reach Legend Movie Max!

Of course, I use a pair of KLF-C7's mounted vertically on 5' tall bookshelves as front effects speakers in the corners... that frees up the left and right KLF-30's to flank the Mitsubishi 65" HDTV. I use three KLF-30's for the rear array (side/surrounds and rear effects).

Naturally, the crown jewel is a KLF-30 that has a custom motor board that puts the 12" woofers on either side of the stacked tractrix and tweeter horns. Since upwards of 75% of the total sound of a DVD comes through the front center speaker... nothing short of a perfect match with your Mains really does the trick in this key position.

Jumping off the deep end with a pair of subwoofers that can get down to 20Hz at 121.5 dB puts your rig in the realm of Dolby Digital Reference Level for Professional Theaters... a realm fit for Legends! -HornED

PS: Jasen, I did not get your email. While on a weeklong photo safari in my Klipsched motorhome, my 10MB mailbox limit was exceeded and the MSN e-janitor trashed a week of email. I made some room so please try again. -H.E.

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

HornEd,

When you say you mounted your KLFC7's vertically did you just mount them vertically or did you also rotate the horn 90 degrees?

I thought you had to rotate the horn also. To do this it looks like I have to make a new "motar" board.

I have 3 KLFC7's laying around the house. two have never been taken out of the box. I really don't want to cut these speakers up.

I'm thinking I'm just going to build some stands and leave them in the horizontial postion.

Thanks,

Danny

No, dbflash, I purposely DID NOT rotate the horn. I actually prefer a more narrow angle for Front Effects purposes since its dual purpose is to expand the soundstage effect and provide reflections off the ceiling for better ambient sound in an all direct reflecting 6.1 (plus front effects) set up.

I don't remember your set-up off hand, Danny, but I find KLF-C7's do better as side/surrounds and rear effects than they do as center speakers. For center speakers, I still prefer the better timbre match and depth that a "horizontalized" main speaker.

In my experience, replacing a motorboard has always left me the original intact and ready to reinstall. In the KLF series, all drivers may be rearranged without any internal rewiring. So, returning the speakers to "stock form" has not been an issue. Have fun! -HornED

PS: Jasen, a virus has eaten my Norton anti-virus software and munched enough holes in my Win2k Professional that it no longer functions. So I am writing this from my server. For now you can reach me by email at: eddennis@rcn.com

HornEd

If I ever get my HT hooked up I will be using KLF20's for the front. I have 3 KLFC7's. I will use them for center and surrounds. I was going to build stands for the surrounds and mount the speakers vertically but the speakers are new in the box I don't want to cut them up just yet. I am going to try the speakers in both the horizontal and vertical postion without rotating the horn.

Thanks for any help.

Danny

Danny, I have used two KLF-C7's and an Academy as a rear array with three KLF-10's up front in an experiment. I used the three "center speakers" in their horizontal positions on wall mounted shelves.

Then I used the KLF-10's as the rear array when I got the first pair of KLF-30's... and the KLF-C7's migrated to the Front Effects position. And finally, I had six KLF-30's in a 6.1 configuration (plus front effects).

If you can find a lone KLF-20 and turn it into a Center Main in your front array... the three KLF-C7's will make a great rear array in a 6.1 system without cutting them up. Besides, there really isn't enough room on a KLF-C7 motorboard to allow you to rotate the horn.

Putting three KLF-20's in your front array will make a tremendous difference in the sound quality of your HT... since more than three-quarters of the total DVD sound will be directed through the center channel. For an example, set your receiver to a "phantom center" mode and see how good your KLF-20's sound when you are in the middle of the sweet spot.

This point was so valid to Paul W. Klipsch that he designed the Belle, Cornwall, and Heresy as center channel alternatives for Klipschorns in the corners. His favorite was the Belle (named for his first wife who was very critical of center channel designs aesthetically). The LaScala was actually designed as a loudspeaker for Gov. Rockefeller's campaign sweep through Arkansas... and the beautified Belle Klipsch center was a WAF approved redesign of the LaScala.

Try it, you'll like it! -HornED

HornEd,

Thanks.

I will just use the speakers I have. I was thinking about trying to find another pair of KLF20's but, if

everything goes as planned I am going to pick up a pair of Lascala's Friday. This will give me a pair of Lascala's and a pair of Heresy's. All I need now is a pair of KHorns.

KHorns for front, Lascala center and Heresy's for rear. This arrangement is at least a year in the future.

Danny

hornEd..for years i've told customers that calling the center channel speaker the 'dialog' speaker was a misnomer. that anything that is centered on-screen comes through the center channel, thus is it a VERY important speaker, and the reason so much dialog comes thru the center is because most people talking are centered on-screen. for example: pearl harbor dvd,the scene when the planes begin dropping torpedoes,etc. when the japanese tail gunner is shooting at the photographer and pilots on the beach, at first the gun is heard center,RIGHT, then the next burst of gunfire is CENTER. it will really tax an inferior center ch spkr.

you know i want a klf-20 ctr ch spkr, because of 'the phantom' experiment, and certain program material REQUIRES there be AN ACTUAL center channel,especially for off-axis listeners, BUT I MUST make this observation:

MANY dvd concerts, where (for me) the timbre matching of my klf-30's to my ctr ch is VERY important, are also the source material that OFTEN has less-than-normal(MUCH less than 65%)ctr ch information. could this be the audio engineer's attempt to favor the left and right mains which are typically superior to center channel speakers? could it be for those like me who have had to be 'weaned' away from '2-ch is how music should be played' perceptions toward 'hey-this surround-sound music sounds good'?

anyway, the center is important, i like the c-7, but i will have a klf-20...one daycwm36.gif

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Ed:

If you were to use the C-7 Center as surrounds and rear center, would you mount them horizontally or vertically?

Also, from your posts and email, you only modified that one KLF30 as a horizontal center and the other speakers in your Hometheater setup were not modified correct?

Jasen

This message has been edited by Jasen on 08-11-2002 at 01:14 PM