Help with Heresy distorted sound

BananaMoonpie

Hello, this is my first post, so I appreciate the input in advance. Recently I obtained a pair of Klipsch Heresy locally and I have been enjoying them very much but this morning while listening to a piano recording I noticed some kind of distortion on one of the speakers, I thought at first it was the recording and tried others and experienced the same problem, then I tried switching the speakers and the problem followed the speaker, also tried a pair of KG 3.2 with no distortion. I never noticed this with other types of music and even now I can not clearly hear most of the time  but as I mentioned its allways there when listening to piano recordings the louder it gets the more I can hear it. I would really apreaciate  any advice on where to start.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Start by figuring out which driver it is.  Take a towel and cover 2 of the 3 drivers while music is playing and see if you can isolate which one is giving you problems.  Next, gain access to the crossover, loosen and tighten all the screws at each terminal.  Report back your findings.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help and welcome. I have done as suggested and the woofer has no rubbing and feels identical to the other speaker, all screws on the crossover have been loosen and tighten again.I tried covering the drivers and the distortion seems to come from the mid range driver.

Edited by BananaMoonpie
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forums...

Is this the original model of Heresy, where the back comes off? I can't find the link right now, but someone posted info on screws on the K55 becoming loose, causing some buzzing/distortion.  I'll keep looking.

Also, make sure it is tight on the horn (K55 threads onto the horn).

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

Is this the original model of Heresy, where the back comes off?

If it is, the backs can buzz also as there's no seal on the stock ones.  One way to check and see if this is it is to place pressure on the back of the cab and see if the noise lessens.

If you truly believe it's the mid horn (driver), swap it with the known good mid horn to be sure.

• Like 1

I had a mid horn on a Khorn do that. I had a set of new the little $1 gaskets from Crites laying around. Unscrewed the driver off of the horn; took out the old crusty compressd gaskets and installed the new ones.

Wala! Solved the same problem. The magic was back for a $1.

I have swamped it and its still there  so Im positive its the mid range. Is replacing the  diaphragm an option? I have seen a guide on how to do it at Bob Crites site and it's simple enough for me to do it, or should I replace the whole driver?

If you can replace the diaphragm there's no need to replace the whole driver.  As Rhetor suggested, check the gasket first.

Pretty sure its a Heresy I

H1's back comes off and the speaker wire terminals are 2 screws at the top of the back, drivers come out from the rear.

H2's back is not removable, the drivers come out from the front and has a round terminal cup on the bottom half of the back.

So...this sound like the Heresy 1.5 (as some would call it). During the change from the K-55 to the K-52H. The earlier ones had a threaded mount, while the later ones, as used in the H II, had the four bolt mount.

Bob C. sells the diaphragms for those in pairs. I would replace them both and keep the good one as a spare.

Bruce