UPDATED WITH FINISHED PICS: Help...120", 135", or 150"?

dewthedru

This pic says it all. BTW, my side surrounds are at about 10.5' from where the screen will be and I can't really move them back much without having to patch the ceiling.

I'm thinking the 135" makes the most sense for my space. BTW, that TV is 50" if you need a reference point. I'll be moving all components over to the wall on the right.

http://m.imgur.com/hxPdfW5

Thoughts?

Edited by dewthedru

Everybody is going to have a different opinion, but the THX recommendations would be on the low end of your choices, probably even lower, if thats what your seating distance is. I wouldn't get too carried away at 10.5'. That's about what mine is and I just got a 110" 2.35:1 screen and love it. We tried 120" 2.35:1 but my wife didn't like action movies at that size. A 110" 2.35 is 100" across which is the same as a 115" 16:9 and video games at that size made me dizzy, way too much motion. I could do a 120" 2.35:1 myself but at 10.5', personally I couldn't stand anything more. 135" 16:9 at that distance would be really uncomfortable to me.

I'd go with 2.35:1 whatever you do unless you primarily only watch cable TV or play video games.

hmmm...i think i'd rather move the seating back to the recommended distance than settle for a smaller screen.  according to the calculator on projector central, i should be sitting 13' 8" away from a 135" screen.  of course, that's subject to personal taste...

i'd have to move the side surrounds back a foot or two in order to have them directly to the side of my listening position.  i'm assuming having them directly to the side is important?

according to the calculator on projector central, i should be sitting 13' 8" away from a 135" screen.

Yeah you didn't mention the actual seating distance earlier, I was thinking 10.5' was at a back wall. If you can get further away then go for it. The only other thing I noticed is that some of your choices are kinda close to the ground if you can recline.

i'd have to move the side surrounds back a foot or two in order to have them directly to the side of my listening position.  i'm assuming having them directly to the side is important?

Ideally they're supposed to be between 90-110 degrees. How important that is is debatable I suppose.

according to the calculator on projector central, i should be sitting 13' 8" away from a 135" screen.

Yeah you didn't mention the actual seating distance earlier, I was thinking 10.5' was at a back wall. If you can get further away then go for it. The only other thing I noticed is that some of your choices are kinda close to the ground if you can recline.

Ideally they're supposed to be between 90-110 degrees. How important that is is debatable I suppose.

110 degrees forward or back?

• Moderators

I recently went through the same question....what size should I go with?  Currently I have a 103" that is 11' from my front row.  I've never felt that totally immersive feeling you get when you go to the movie theater.  I bounced back and forth between a few sizes and even briefly considered going with a 16:9 but decided for my room, the best format is 2.35:1 since I watch about 90% bluray and only an occasional video game in 16:9.  My new screen will be a little closer so I will be around 10' with a 150".  It will be close to wall to wall with my speakers directly behind an AT Screen.

You can see a video of my room in my signature.

I recently went through the same question....what size should I go with?  Currently I have a 103" that is 11' from my front row.  I've never felt that totally immersive feeling you get when you go to the movie theater.  I bounced back and forth between a few sizes and even briefly considered going with a 16:9 but decided for my room, the best format is 2.35:1 since I watch about 90% bluray and only an occasional video game in 16:9.  My new screen will be a little closer so I will be around 10' with a 150".  It will be close to wall to wall with my speakers directly behind an AT Screen.

You can see a video of my room in my signature.

enjoyed your video.  i'll probably almost certainly go with 16:9 as we play a ton of video games in our house and i don't see that changing anytime soon.  

i think i'd rather move the seating back to the recommended distance than settle for a smaller screen.

I'd rather have my sound right and have my screen a comfortable and proper size but to each his own. :)  A bigger screen but sitting further back is really only gaining you bragging rights, at the expense of having to deal with a weird surround setup, having your screen down too low, possibly killing all hopes of having a rear row of seats, and having to pay more for the screen.  Doesn't make much sense to me.  

• 4 weeks later...

So...I went with a 135" Silver Ticket screen and the Sony VPL-HW40ES pj.  I think I'm pretty happy with the setup.  My sound leaves a bit to be desired now that the speakers are farther apart.  Need to do some tweaking.

The picture quality is good to very good.  We watched Guardians of the Galaxy the other day in 3D and it was stunning.  Netflix looks fantastic and I'll be watching a normal movie tonight to check out how a normal BR looks.  

We moved the sitting position back to about 13.5" and now the side surrounds are about 18" in front of us.  Not sure if it's worth the effort of moving them back or not.  Kind of tired of patching up the walls.  We'll see.

Anyhoo...here's the after pic.

I'll be painting the front of the soffit the same color as the back wall and putting up a velvet-covered frame under the soffit and ceiling on the left...similar to what Edgar did with his setup.  Might put velvet curtains up as well on the two sides against the wall.

And then new subs.

And then....

post-50408-0-09030000-1421941562_thumb.j

• Like 2

Man it looks great but I'd pull them mains out a bit and toe them in a little. That will fix the "far apart" issue I bet your experiencing.

I agree.

Why not put the cool black couch in the main seating position? This would at least get some breathing room from the front left channel.

Yeah pulling them out will help but toe in will make a huge difference in the sound

this makes a huge impact on panning and imaging. I know once I brought my 3 kl650s down to ear level and behind my screen with the left and right toed in to the MLP it made for a perfect front sound stage behind the screen.

• Moderators
Man it looks great but I'd pull them mains out a bit and toe them in a little. That will fix the "far apart" issue I bet your experiencing.

Agree with Scrappy's suggestions.  I would also add to angle your center channel upward so that the horn aims directly at your ears.  That will also make a huge difference.