Back into the Fold - ed Horn again

richieb

Hi All:

After some time away from the forum for various reasons I am back to where I started some 40 years ago finding a a fairly nice pair of '78 LS/BB La Scallas in my locale. My first LS were ordered new from the factory around '77 or '78 with a nice walnut stain, they were beautiful, for get this, around $1800/pr. I believe. Should have the new here in the next few days. Too big for upstairs so down they will go inot a semi-finished basement. (Have yet to accept the trendy "man cave" title for what is a finished basement). Most likely will switch between a Dennis Had KT66 SE, Eastern Electric with a quad of 6BM8 and Audio Sector gain clone Patek integrated. A nice belt drive CEC cd will round out the simple system. Getting anxoius to hear a full horn system once again this time driven with tubes. Same seller had pr. of Corns for sale but really wanted the quintessential PWK horn sound. And since I have owned LS, Belles, CW, Heresey, Forte and now even Quartets for upstairs listening I think I knew what my heart felt. Most likely new networks very soon, leaning toward Deans but need to wrap my mind around networks that equal the value of the speakers, we'll see.  

Oh, can anyone tell me if there are still openings for the April Pilgrammage in Hope? Early spring sounds like a great time there and might make a very enjoyable bike ride.

Thanks all

• Moderators
Oh, can anyone tell me if there are still openings for the April Pilgrammage in Hope? Early spring sounds like a great time there and might make a very enjoyable bike ride. Thanks all

Welcome back

And yes sure there are openings for Hope, it's not a Pilgrimage like in the past it's more of a group getting together to show appreciation for PWK and the employees. Take a ride and join in.

welcome back richie,  Deans ALK's for my 69 k-horns

Can you explain - are the Deans a copy of ALK's design using Deans higher grade caps etc. or his own variation of an ALK design? 

I do not want to start anything here as I know there have "differences" regarding networks I just want clarification for an educated decision. Looking at Deans web site I see three LS designs with the Type A w/Jensen/Jupiter caps for the OEM "smooth, rich, enveloping soundstage" which I most likely favor plus Super X and charged coupled. I have two thoughts on this one being spending as much for the networks as I did for the speakers but knowing that at my age I will not be letting these speakers go so I may as well go for the best sound possible without straying far from the original design/sound parameters. Meaning new drivers, horns, etc. and then at some point it is no longer a Klipsch speaker.

Thanks

Oh, can anyone tell me if there are still openings for the April Pilgrammage in Hope?

Details up in the "Forum Meetups" section.  PM me as to number in your party to get on the mailing list. 

Hey...you go back to the old days!  You'll find it a bit more peaceful...some say boring but I prefer "civilized." 

Welcome home!

Dave

Hey...you go back to the old days! 

Yeah been a Klipsch lover for many a year and hung around the Forum starting in the early 2000's I'd guess. For a long time my password would not let me in and to no avail even with Amy's help. I could never switch my password as the softtware was recognizing a specific word for my IP address. Finall had to give up and just lurk on occasion. Anyway everythings good now and with LS soon arriving I can contribute on occasion. Thanks for the welcome back Dave - 

Rich