Epik Empire

Montego

The key is to go for that 15 Hz and up strong. If you can do that, extra extension will not even matter for most people. Even super strong 20 Hz like the Obital Shifter will give you all you want.

I don't know Derrick after obtaining 5 and 10hz in my room I'm not sure I could go without it anymore I have become spoiled on the ULF. In 4500 cf certain sealed options can work to pressurize it still. Edited by MichaelandKlipsch

Stong was the key word on 15 hz and lower or 15-20 Hz.  You need to be able to do these at a minimum of 105 db at the MLP.  Those JTR subs definitely fit the strong category Michael.  One day, I will get down to your nect of the wood where you can give me a demo, lol. :)

Sealed subs can give you the ULF if you have enough of them, enough power, and enoug excursion and displacement.  A vented similar sub has roughly 10 db advantage between 15-25Hz which is a lot.  To get the addition 10 db would take 3 more sealed subs in the 15-25 Hz area.  This is why some of the guys on AVS have 8-16 sealed subs in a room, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

Sealed subs can give you the ULF if you have enough of them, enough power, and enoug excursion and displacement.  A vented similar sub has roughly 10 db advantage between 15-25Hz which is a lot.  To get the addition 10 db would take 3 more sealed subs in the 15-25 Hz area.  This is why some of the guys on AVS have 8-16 sealed subs in a room, lol.

That's good to know!

• 2 weeks later...

Stong was the key word on 15 hz and lower or 15-20 Hz.  You need to be able to do these at a minimum of 105 db at the MLP.  Those JTR subs definitely fit the strong category Michael.  One day, I will get down to your nect of the wood where you can give me a demo, lol. :)

You guys just need to build an IB and be done with it. :emotion-14:

• 3 weeks later...

I've had four of these for 2-3 years. So far, no problems (knock on wood).

I listened to a lot of subs before I settled on these, however, for me, they are/were local which made return logistics, if needed, much easier. The parallel drive arrangement works really well to virtually eliminate cabinet vibration. I sometimes suspect the real reason Epik is out of business might be because of some kind of patent infringement on Paradigm's similar "Vibration Canceling Design Architecture", albeit using a larger number of smaller drivers.

Yes, the going out of business thing bothers me, but if the amps start failing I'll just replace them with units from Hypex or some outboard power amps from Crown, Mac or equivalent. The parallel drive arrangement works really well. I listened to the Klipsch subs before buying the Epik Empire. The Empire's can outplay anything Klipsch makes in the same class, at a lower price. IMHO, unfortunately, Klipsch has never made a really great sub. Recently I purchased a SVS PC-2000 for the home theater. Klipsch should have bought SVS out long ago.

FWIW, Epik's owner/founder Chad Kuypers, Mark Seaton of Seaton Sound (also known for their subwoofers) and Tom Danley (Danley Sound Labs) all worked together when they were employed at Intersoncis where Danley developed the notorious Servodrive subwoofer. Mark Seaton told me this during a long chat at the 2013 AXPONA show. The point is, don't get too hung up over one manufacturer or another. These guys all know each other and are friendly competitors.

EDIT:  or maybe it was Sound Physics Lab (instead of Interservo). But anyway, according to Mark Seaton, they all worked together at one point.

Edited by artto