Zebra Forte's on USAudiomart

jimjimbo

I would not have to worry about WAF, as they would not meet my appearance status.  I'm glad to see the picture though,  Now I know what I don't like.     No worries about me driving the price up. 

And the site is gone.  Maybe someone liked them enough.

Edited by Taz

Interesting grain structure.

I suspect that we are primarily looking at a quarter-sawn veneer or maybe rift-sawn as opposed to the more-familiar flat-sawn veneer that we see on speakers.

While the grain structure is what makes the quarter-sawn cut more desirable for many people for zebra wood projects, a flat-sawn cut would give more of the traditional look that we typically see. 

Unless a special order, we typically see more flat-sawn veneer on speakers because the flat-sawn method of cutting the log is the cheapest to do and has the least amount of waste.

Sometimes I read the debates on the woodworkers forums and the acoustic guitar forums for arguments about the best method to cut the wood for a particular piece of furniture or best method to cut the wood for a part of a guitar and a lot about grain orientation. :ph34r:

The pictures below show how the grain structue of a wood board changes for the different types of cuts.

Lumber - Quarter-sawn.jpg

Lumber - Flat-sawn.jpg

Lumber - Rift-sawn.jpg

Lumber - sawn overview .jpg

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 3

Let's not forget peeled veneer cut from a big industrial wood lathe.  Usually 4' or 8' long and not as wide.  Seen some beautiful clear fir come out of one of the veneer mills I've worked at.  But the other cuts contain beautiful examples too.   

1000x1000.jpg