What should I set the crossovers to ?

THS

Hello,

I have the following setup. I have listed advertised frequency response. 

Klipsch RF-62 II Fronts: FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 35Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

Klipsch RF-52 II Center: FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 67Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

Klipsch RS-42 II Surrounds: FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 62Hz-24KHz ± 3dB

Klipsch SW-110 Subwoofer

Onkyo TX-NR515

What should I set the low frequency crossovers to ?

I was thinking maybe 50hz for fronts, 70hz for center and surrounds ? 

Thanks !

EDIT: Not sure if it matters but all the walls are soundproof (double layer with green glue) and I build 8 acoustic panels using Safe'n'Sound mineral wool insulation.

Edited by THS
  • Like 1

Have you run the Audyssey program with the microphone?  It will automatically set the cross over (XO) points.  I would start with the Audyssey settings, then make changes from there.

+++

I have the Onk 717, and it very accurately sets the XO to the factory spec XO of the speaker.  For instance my center speaker is rated for 60 hz, and Audyssey got it right on the money.

If you unplug your sub, then Audyssey will automatically set your L/R to FULL BAND, and if you plug in the sub it will set the fronts according to the measured low XO, starting at 40, 60, 80, 90, 100, 120.  Any of the automatic settings can be easily overridden manually via the OSD.

FYI others will offer comments on Large and Small speaker settings, but the terminology Onk uses is Full Band for Large, and then the hz of the speaker for Small.

+++

On my 5.1 setup, I let Audyssey set all the XO points, and I set the sub to 80 hz.  Make sure your sub is set to 80 hz on the sub itself.  Many will tell you to set the sub at its highest XO point (usually 120-150) and then let Audyssey set the XO in the AVR.  This works as well.

FYI there is also a "Double-bass" option if you want more bass.  Consult your manual, which I have found to be very useful.

http://www.onkyousa.com/Downloads/manuals.php?source=globalnav

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Either 80 all around or 60 for the fronts and 80 for everything else if you don't want to use what the receiver chooses.  The nice thing about setting your crossovers manually is you can change them and listen for differences and then pick what setting you like the best.

• Like 3

Either 80 all around or 60 for the fronts and 80 for everything else if you don't want to use what the receiver chooses.  The nice thing about setting your crossovers manually is you can change them and listen for differences and then pick what setting you like the best.

Agree with all numbers.

My center goes down to 60, but I manually set it to 80 thinking the center mainly needs to do voice/dialog and the extra 20 hz would make it more clear. 

After much experimenting, just for fun I lowered it to the Audyssey suggested 60 hz and the voices (esp male) became more full and resonant.  I know voice doesn't dip into that range, but that is what my ears were telling me.  Let your ears be your guide.

That may sound like a contradiction to my agreeing with the above post, but those 60 and 80 hz numbers are solid and will get you to 90% agreement with whatever Audyssey is likely to set.

• Like 1

Please do run Audyssey.

Most AVRs have two controls that are sometimes called crossovers. 

One is a true crossover that reassigns the bass that would otherwise go to the RF, LF, C, and surrounds to the subwoofer.  Audyssey, THX, and most experts tend to recommend that this crossover be set to 80 Hz.  Over the last two years, I have gone back and forth between a 60 Hz and 80 Hz crossover with my front channels.  My surrounds are set to 80.  Some surrounds need a higher crossover to avoid distorting.

The other "crossover" isn't really a crossover, but a low pass filter (LPF), instead.  In a home theater it has a very special job.  The subwoofer output of the AVR or pre/pro has two different streams, which are mixed.  One is composed of the bass that has been rechanneled from all the other channels to the sub output by the real crossover.  The other is composed of special sound effects put onto Blu-rays by the movie people.  These are called low frequency effects (LFE).  Most, but not quite all, experts advise that the LPF (often called LPF for LFE) be set at 120 Hz, because that is what the filmmakers are expecting and banking on.  Because the LFE are going out the AVR subwoofer output, they go to the subwoofer only, as long as the AVR is set up for a subwoofer ("subwoofer yes").

After running Audyssey, most people turn the subwoofer up a few dB by turning up the subwoofer trim on the AVR (not the knob on the subwoofer itself).

• Like 1

It is recommended that the XO be set 15 Hz above the weakest speakers FR.

Example: 

Mains- 35 to 24kHz

Center-67 to 24kHz

Surrond-62 to 24kHz

Sub 25-150(example)

XO range 77 to 150 Hz

XO range 62 +15=77

The correct XO is 80 Hz for a global XO.  The mains can be set lower but, no good reason to do it other than subjective feelings.  I doubt if you will hear any difference with movies or music with the mains at 60 Hz vs 80 Hz.

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by derrickdj1