Broadcast signal on widescreen tv's (Mitsubishi) ...

chuckears

I am close to purchasing the Mitsubishi WS-55809, and have a concern about viewing regular cable programs and 4:3 video sources:

More than half of my family's viewing will be from the 4:3 source perspective, and I have read that the Mits widescreens do not do the "stretch" very well.

(It is recommended that any stationary picture, such as the black bars you would get on the sides of the screen when watching a 4:3 program on a widescreen, constitute less than 15% of your viewing time)...

can any Mits widescreen owners share their experience? What are all my "formatted to fit your <4:3>screen"films going to look like, and what are the better stretching options?

I will make this purchase this week if my fears can be allayed...

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 surrounds

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

A big-*** HDTV

No experience with MITS. But I have been wrestling with the same issues as you. Kind of a predicament isn't it? One kind of burn-in if you get a 16:9 screen, another kind if you get a 4:3 screen, or at least unrealistic stretching of the picture.

If you set up your display properly using something like the AVIA DVD, you are much less likely to have a problem with uneven phosor wear whichever aspect ratio you chose. Most people have the levels set way too high. I have read comments in other forums from people who have done this and have no problem with either direct view or rear projection sets.

I don't think everything broadcast will be 16:9 in our lifetimes, even once everything is digital. ATSC has 14 formats, some standard definition, some hight definition. Only the high definition formats are 16:9. Broadcasters are free to chose how they use their bandwidth. My local CBS affiliate broadcasts HD on one subchannel SD on another subchannel. Fox has said they will not do HD. Apparently they want the extra bandwidth to be free for their affiliates to use for something else.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the WS-55819, which is almost the same TV i got for $2650 if that helps you price search. They have a few different options for viewing normal broadcasts. I ended up using the normal stretch option. There is one that will keep the center normal and only the ends stretched and it seems to look weird when people or text scrolls from the edges. There is a zoom to fill the picture and it will cut off the top and bottom of the picture which works unless your on a close up of a persons head and you can only see from the nose down. I don't know if the burn in will happen, i have heard yes and no. Overall i'm happy with the TV, if you change the settings on your DVD player the picture looks normal and sharp. You will have to play with the alignment and color setting to get things looking good. I would buy it again, i have bought two Mits so far and i think they are well built and last, almost 15 years on my first RPTV.

------------------

KSP 400

KSP C6

KSP S6

KSP C6 Rear Center

M&K V-75 Sub

Denon 3802

JVC 701 DVD

Mits WS-55819 HDTV RPTV

I have a Mits 65869 and I use the same mode as Lovebohn. It really is not noticeable after the first couple of days or so. So much 4:3 material is framed to focus on the center that the slight distortion on the edges really does not bother me.

If you want to use the 4:3 mode and the gray bars do not bother you then don't worry about burn in. The Mits will vary the position of the 4:3 picture on the screen to prevent burn in.

There is also an Expand mode which is great for 4:3 shows shown in widescreen (like Enterprise, ER, West Wing) This mode zooms the picture but keeps the 16X9 aspect ratio. It is great for music videos too.

Hope this helps. BTW i love my TV!

laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

Thanks to all for the advice... I hooked up the Mits on Tuesday, and am still getting used to the standard stretch mode, but love the DVD's I have watched...the set is a little unforgiving of the source material - local standard cable varies wildly in appearance from channel to channel, and my DVD of Hunt for Red October looked so grainy to me last night I could barely stand to watch it. (I actually put in a source material I had already seen to make sure my settings had not been changed).

I really wish Mitsubishi had included more consumer-level settings for tweaking, but I can understand their reluctance to let Average Joe mess around with the settings.

The red push is noticable, but I have an attenuator coming in the mail tomorrow to reduce it to acceptable levels. There really should be a law against manufacturers boosting the level of red input, just to sell tv's off the showroom floors...

i have the very same tv.

if you want to FINE tune the video, go to the grid where you do the convergence, you see just a +

hit the audio button, now you have...

++++++

++++++

++++++

++++++

i do htis periodically since we move the tv around some when playing pool, never fear, we just added onto the game room and now it is too big Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Check out the wide screen Sony XBR models. It has three stretch modes, and built in HD convertor. HD alone is worth the look. I have a 57" model purchased just prior the Olympics. Recently noticed the price on the 65" model is now equal to what I paid for the 57" model ($1K difference). I assume the 57" price fell accordingly. That's the rub when buying new technology.