Wheels last one year (and 3 weeks)

USNRET

Our mission dictates that the aircraft are subjected to salt water mist accumulating due to low level flights. Even with fresh water fire hose rinses after every flight the corrosion damage is very costly. It is a constant battle.Just sitting on the ramp in our location subjects the airframe to salt mist. Your (and my) tax dollars at work.

http://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/2014-12-19-000000/cbp-p-3-leads-12-million-cocaine-bust

post-19886-0-60560000-1423363219_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

Our mission dictates that the aircraft are subjected to salt water mist accumulating due to low level flights. Even with fresh water fire hose rinses after every flight the corrosion damage is very costly. It is a constant battle.

the exhaust nozzles must take a hell of a beating - The engine is ingesting all the oxygen that is ladden with salt water vapor

Our mission dictates that the aircraft are subjected to salt water mist accumulating due to low level flights. Even with fresh water fire hose rinses after every flight the corrosion damage is very costly. It is a constant battle.

the exhaust nozzles must take a hell of a beating - The engine is ingesting all the oxygen that is ladden with salt water vapor

While turbine and compressor erosion is indeed a problem (we can install a spare engine in minimal time), airframe corrosion leads to most down time. Our artisans must fashion replacement parts from raw aluminum, heat treat and install; not a quick thing. I am always on the look out for licensed folk that are skilled at this.

Edited by USNRET

While turbine and compressor erosion is indeed a problem (we can install a spare engine in minimal time), airframe corrosion leads to most down time. Our artisans must fashion replacement parts from raw aluminum, heat treat and install; not a quick thing. I am always on the look out for licensed folk that are skilled at this.

good luck  -the electrochemical attack is increased in a hot, moist climate ,areas hit : landing gear -wheel wells -water entrapment  , engine frontal , cooling vents , battery -bildge -wing flaps , spoiler recesses , external -hinges

Edited by Randyh

I've seen that on wheels before but never thought it was corrosion.  Corrosion would be white and chalky.  I've always thought it was chemical etching similar to acid rain.  It could also be from wheel cleaning chemicals or just a bad bond on the clear coat.

Frankly I don't like these but it is what it is. I was advised to go black due to our corrosion issues here.

You'll come to like the new ones, Michael. A quick wash & rinse will keep em clean. A coat of car wax once or twice a year...

I'm battling road salt up here but after 4+ feet of snow in the last three weeks my Town Faire Tire Avenue A608 18" wheels are taking a beating.

post-28997-0-92680000-1423594261_thumb.j

post-28997-0-53000000-1423594275_thumb.j

Ahahahaha! Artisans...

Ohman, Michael. The tinknockers I used to work with at PHI & Air Log would be chucking bucking bars at your head if you called them artisans to their face.