you guys should like this...

MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

the other day i was watching an auction for an amp that bob carver built.  apparently he builds high end amplifiers and lists them on ebay occasionally.  i have always wanted to know if bob carver had ever met paul klipsch.  having a line of communication that went to bob carver, i seized the opportunity.  following is our communication.  i hope you enjoy this as much as i did.

-- MKP :)

To: audioshopper
Subject: fj40pickup has sent a message
Sent Date: Feb-06-15 12:59:08 PST

Dear audioshopper,

Hi Bob, hope all is good.

I just have a question I have always wanted to ask you. Did you ever meet Paul Klipsch? You and Mr Klipsch are my audio heroes.
At my house my wall-o-Klipsch is powered by wall-o-Carver amps...lol lol...
and also at my auto shop...my Klipsch-Pro's are powered by my TFM42....oh yea we jam at the shop.
take care Mark ;-)
- fj40pickup

Dear fj40pickup,

Hi Mark,

Well, you certainly have some great audio, that's for sure. Thanks for writing, and YES I did meet Paul Klipsch. It was long ago and he came to visit me in my Phase Linear days at the Phase Linear factory. I cannot remember why he came, but I do remember the visit and the lunch we shared plus a plane ride in his personal airplane. It was during lunch that he showed me how he sand-papered the bottoms of his feet. It was so he could "feel" the rudder pedals better and therefore fly more smoothly. He wore sandals and we could see his sanded toes too. After lunch he took us for a ride in his Cessna 310 twin. We flew over Puget Sound to Vashon island and back, talking about loudspeakers all the way. He commented that he was very happy that he was not in the amplifier business, and I was just as happy not to be building speakers at the time.

Warmest and best my new friend,

Bob Carver

- audioshopper

• Like 5

Cool! 

I was reading something Carver wrote a while back how he reverse engineered a transformer winding pattern of some great power supply, and uses that pattern to wind his own. I thought that was pretty cool. Not only that he is using the winding pattern of that great PS, but that he admits he copied it.  That is character, IMHO.

• Like 2

Thank you for posting. Good stuff. I had a chance to briefly meet Paul in the late '70s in St. Louis at Filip's Stereo Place. Flip was an audio dealer and PWK fan and had asked Paul to give a presentation to prospective and past customers. Being new to audio, I just listened. Wish I could have heard the details of his conversation with Mr. Carver!!

• Like 1