What should I upgrade?

notruck

My 6.1 home theater system currently consists of:

• Yamaha RX-V3000
  • Klipsch KLF-10 x4
  • Klipsch KLF-C7 x2
  • Klipsch KSW-15

Initally, I need (or think that I want) to replace the Yamaha receiver and add another KSW-15 for a 6.2 system.  Compared to what is currently available, should I start over or just upgrade my receiver?  I really want to upgrade the receiver to obtain HDMI connections but do not want to loose my 6 channel inputs.  Also, if I cannot find another KSW-15, should I replace the KSW-15 with two sub's of another make/model?

Please point me in the right direction .......

• Like 2

If it were me, I would consider upgrading your Receiver and your Subs.  The KLF-10's are fantastic speakers and the fact that you are running 4 of them is sweet!  Others will chime with their suggestions.

Completely Agree

• Like 3

HDMI is mostly great. Keeps the rat's nest from behind your receiver. A receiver upgrade would certainly be good. As far as the sub, if you give your room specs, I am sure someone will chime in and give you their opinions on what they think your needs would be. 

Back to the receiver..... I personally like Yamaha receivers and you are probably already a little more familiar with their menus etc. since you are currently using one, Personally, I think receiver brands are a Ford vs. Chevy type of thing. There is a general consensus that Yamaha has the best reliability of the major brands. Yamaha is also pretty liberal giving you legacy connections like component video on all but the lowest models. The biggest negative I can give Yamaha is that they rate power output with two channels driven (as do many other brands,) but output power really takes a hit when multiple channels are driven. For example, Sound and Vision tested an RXV-775 and was able to achieve 122.8 wpc @ 0.1 THD with two channels driven. At five channels, it dropped to 38.2 wpc and 32.2 wpc with seven driven at the same THD. In a real world scenario with subs taking a lot of the work, you may still be ok, but it is definitely something to keep in mind.

All of them, except maybe really high end stuff drop a good bit in output when multiple channels are driven, so it is not exclusive to Yamaha. Yamaha just seems to throttle back more than most. http://www.soundandvision.com/ gives some real testing of receivers if you are interested.

Bryant

• Like 1

I never really got into the 6.1 stuff...it just seemed like an incomplete step to 7.1. You might try going that route. Your 3000 should still fetch a pretty penny, and you can use that to get a really nice AVENTAGE receiver that'll get you where you want to be for the time being. I'd run 5.1 until I could get a nice pair for your rear surrounds.

Upgrade Priority:

#1 Amplifier (AVR) - see if you can get one with latest and greatest technology and 0.05% THD

#2 Center Channel - HT is 50% Center Channel (e.g. RC-64 II), 25% bass via Subwoofer or Big Speakers for mains, rest % for R,L,RL,RR (if possible add FWL, FWR, SRR, SRL)

Good Luck and Enjoy !!

Upgrade Priority:

#1 Amplifier (AVR) - see if you can get one with latest and greatest technology and 0.05% THD

#2 Center Channel - HT is 50% Center Channel (e.g. RC-64 II), 25% bass via Subwoofer or Big Speakers for mains, rest % for R,L,RL,RR (if possible add FWL, FWR, SRR, SRL)

Good Luck and Enjoy !!

I'm going to disagree , I haven't heard the RC-64II but I have heard the KLF-C7 which is a very good center and I'm pretty sure the best center for KLF-10's short of another KLF-10 :D

• Like 1

Lol, not wish to start the war here, you're going to disagree to RC-64 II, which you've not heard :D

Strictly speaking for HT, it's all about center channel from where you're going to hear dialogues and base via sub-woofer, rest is providing directional sound to create the 3D sound effect  ;)

One of my colleague, who suffered with "muffled" movie dialogues. Moved around the center channel multiple times. When he heard the RC-64 II, he couldn't belive how clear, dynamic and punchy it was. Btw., I've no affiliation with Klipsch, but just stating the fact after few years of experience - in fact since Klipsch introduced RC-64 II ;)

I never really got into the 6.1 stuff...it just seemed like an incomplete step to 7.1. You might try going that route. Your 3000 should still fetch a pretty penny, and you can use that to get a really nice AVENTAGE receiver that'll get you where you want to be for the time being. I'd run 5.1 until I could get a nice pair for your rear surrounds.

I run 6.1, and I like it fine. I have 7 LaScalas, but getting the wire run requires a lot of work, and the single center rear is pretty damned good if you ask me. In my situation, it is about 40' from me, however.

• Like 1

Lol, not wish to start the war here, you're going to disagree to RC-64 II, which you've not heard :D

Not saying which is a better center speaker . I just believe the KLF-C7 is a better match for KLF-10's 

I could be wrong and it won't be the first or last time  :D

Strictly speaking for HT, it's all about center channel from where you're going to hear dialogues and base via sub-woofer

I agree, as a matter of fact I agree so strongly I have an MCM for a center  and I have a Danley DTS-10 in my truck waiting for a friend to help me bring it in  :D

I firmly believe matching L,C,R is the best option when possible !  I also believe timbre matching is very important across the front 3 so althought I haven't heard the RC64II I still think (and again I could be wrong) the KLF-C7 is better for him and that a subwoofer and reciever or amp/PrePro are better places to spend his money.

Definitely Not a War just a cival discussion with differing opinions  :)

Holy Crap you have some nice gear !

Edited by Gnote
  • Like 2

Upgrade Priority:

Good Luck and Enjoy !!

I disagree with #2 - HT is mainly dialogue  - however his center channel is a perfect match for his mains :huh: .  His speakers are fine - his main issue that I see is his receiver ^_^ .

Strictly speaking for HT, it's all about center channel from where you're going to hear dialogues and base via sub-woofer, rest is providing directional sound to create the 3D sound effect  ;)

One of my colleague, who suffered with "muffled" movie dialogues. Moved around the center channel multiple times. When he heard the RC-64 II, he couldn't belive how clear, dynamic and punchy it was. Btw., I've no affiliation with Klipsch, but just stating the fact after few years of experience - in fact since Klipsch introduced RC-64 II ;)

If the user changed to the RC-64 II (which I have heard) - it would completely change the timbre of his front stage. He would also have to change his mains from the KLF's to Reference series (I'm not arguing here either :) ). The KLF's are voiced differently than the Ref II's.  Unless the OP wants to do an entire make-over...don't touch the front array at all.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What type of room treatments are you using?  If it's a space where you can add some, you'll be amazed at the upgrade in sound.  I covered 20% of my room, and I'm amazed by the improvement.  If imaging and clarity are what you're looking for, give it a try.  ATS Acoustics takes returns on some stuff, and so do other sites.

• Like 2

• Moderators
What type of room treatments are you using? If it's a space where you can add some, you'll be amazed at the upgrade in sound.

I will agree.  You can have the best gear in the world but if your room is an echo chamber (like mine used to be), the sound will be muddy.  Adding panels to my room definitely added clarity and detail that was missing before.  I used to think acoustic panels were snake oil but after adding mine, I totally see the value.  DIY is the way to go if you are handy.  It will save you up to 75% on the cost.