Help with Dolby and THX settings.

sean5340

My BD/DVD player gives me audio output choices. PCM, PCM Muti-Ch, DTS Re-Encode and Bitstream. It also gives a choice of sampling frequency 48, 96, 192khz.

It seems 192khz and DTS Re-Encode on the player give me the best output. I've played around and found that THX Cinema shows 5.2 output on the display. This setting is WAY better for spoken word. I couldn't make out low speaking and whispers very well before.

Bottom line is I still don't know what all these settings are but playing around has made a difference. Also I put my big *** sub in the attic down firing through the ceiling at my listening position. It is crossed over on the amp at 35hz with 4db of gain from 16 to 22hz. WOW! Huge improvement.

I still have but do not use anymore a Kenwood THX certified amp and I use to wonder what settings and if I should use THX or DD or DTS Master etc etc etc. I would adjust then readjust then set the Crossovers to 80 and then small or large.. hell I was all over the board with settings and mics and sound meters. I never did get use to the THX sound modes as I found them to be a bit thin so I as others have mentioned above would turn off the THX and listen to the DD or DTS-ex etc that the amp had. In my case it was just a matter of selecting or de-selecting the THX button and then if I wanted the THX formats I would cycle through them. As soon as I de-selected the THX button it would cut off all THX functions.

Here is some theory about THX modes taken from Sound and Vision mag http://www.soundandvision.com/content/difference-between-dolby-digital-and-thx

THX modes do not encode or decode audio—instead, they process the sound after it has been decoded by the Dolby Digital, DTS, or any other codec. For example, THX Surround EX in the Integra DTR-7.9 applies Re-Equalization (Re-EQ), Timbre Matching, and Adaptive Decorrelation to the audio decoded by Dolby Digital EX. So you don't choose one or the other—instead, you choose whether or not to apply THX post-processing to the decoded audio. In your case, if you enable THX Surround EX, the AVR applies THX post-processing to the Dolby Digital EX soundtrack; if you choose Dolby Digital EX, the THX post-processing is not applied to the audio.

According to THX, "THX Listening Modes can be used in conjunction with a variety of audio encodings (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc). For instance, THX Cinema Mode does not override material that was encoded with Dolby Digital. However, it does add some settings that help adapt the audio for the home environment.

"Setting your speakers to 'Small (80Hz)' insures that they are passing off the appropriate amount of bass to the subwoofer. If you are not able to do that, for whatever reason, with one or more of your speakers, that's okay. It just means you'll hear a little less bass out of the subwoofer." You won't notice this much at all, since your surrounds go down to almost 80Hz.

You fear that I'll tell you set your AVR to whatever sounds good to you, and I'm afraid I must do just that. If you like the brightness of unprocessed Dolby Digital and the punch of THX Surround EX processing but the highs sound muddled, enable THX Surround EX and turn off Re-EQ.

Edited by gfong

Thanks for that explanation gfong. Now that I have switched to bitstream output on the DVD player the Onkyo is switching automatically to the proper (I assume) format. It sounds really good no matter what movie I throw at it. All of my speakers are "in ceiling" so I was skeptical about the sound reproduction. It does not disappoint. I am not able to run Audyssey at the moment due to not having a mic. so manual settings are what I am using by ear. Clarity is superb and the bass can be felt. I had to back off on the subwoofer 16-22hz gain due to pressure bothering my ears at louder levels.