This changes everything (audio rack suggestions requested)...

chuckears

I bought a Mits 55" widescreen tv tonight; it is delivered next Tuesday, and I have a whole wall to re-do: My entertainment center, which holds my 27" Magnovox and all my components is going. In its place, (along with the big-*** Mitsubishi, which is larger than my current EC) I need to find a good (at least 6 shelf) audio rack, with adjustable shelves, preferably around 48 - 55 inches high.

A long tour of the web did not turn up anything I am willing to pay for ($300-$350 is my budget); any suggestions from my learned comrades would be greatly appreciated...

------------------

Klipsch Fortes, Oiled Oak

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Channel

Klipsch RS-3 surrounds

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Harmon Kardon AVR520 Receiver

Sony 5-disc changer

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Old Akai cassette Deck

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Nordost Moonglo Digital Coax

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable

(Future upgrades to include):

A big-*** HDTV

Check the Salamander series of racks at www.audioadvisor.com. I believe certain models are even on sale right now. Not sure if you can get to 6 shelves, but maybe...

Or, you could do like some of us have done and built our own using the Flexy design at http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html (Each of has our own customizations, of course. Mine has 8 shelves and 4 legs and 3/4" threaded rod, etc...)

Doug

------------------

My System

chuckears - Mitsubishi makes audio racks specially for their big screens. I bought a Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609, and I bought their matching audio rack too, retail $399, but I asked for $100 off and the shop agreed. Mitsubishi has them on their website, I'm suprised the audio/video store didn't tell you abou them. They ROCK, excellent build quality and looks PERFECT next to the TV. I will get a pic of my setup tomorrow and post it for you if you want.

Check them out here....

http://www.mitsubishitv.com/accesories.html

I have the one for the 60", they have a 50" one, and I'm sure they have a 55", if you can't find it, email them, they might have them somewhere else.

Hope that helps!

------------------

devil.gifScott

Take a look at mine in my HT link, I got it from IKEA only $280 Canadian. They come in various sizes and ar very sturdy. I too had the same problem, and spent weeks looking for one. This one is a little taller than you want, but it work great for me. It has six glass doors.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

I have the Vantage Point Altus rack from Audio Advisor. It is extremely sturdy and extra shelves can be added as needed (mine has five). It comes with spikes, but I ordered casters and it is SO easy to fiddle with things in the back. Maybe that's not sonically good, but doubt if I could tell a difference.

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

TV - RCA 31"

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638

I use Studiotech.

They are definetly the way to go. I considered Bealla, owned Sanus and Salamander at one time, and StudioTech beats them all.

It's worth checking out.

------------------

TJ Farnsworth

"Imaging is Everything"

----------------------Mitsubishi WS-65819

Mitsubishi SR-HD5 DirecTV

Pioneer Elite VST-37TX

Pioneer Elite CLD Laserdisc

Sony CDP-M555ES CD Changer

Panasonic RP-62 DVD

Mitsubishi HU-S747 SVHS

Klipsch Epic CF-2 Mains

Klipsch Legend KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch Quintet Surrounds

Home Built Subwoofer

Pronto Pro

XBOX

DreamCast

Thanks to all for the suggestions... I have decided to go with a six shelf unit by Metal and Glass... I liked some of the Bello units, but they did not fall within my (current) budget.

The Mits 55809 should arrive Tuesday, and hopefully the new rack...

Not anxious at all,

chuckears

justin,

I got the Mitsubishi 55809: widescreen, with no hd decoder onboard. I was going to go with the Toshiba 57h81, but I found the Mits (0% financing for one year cwm16.gif) - it arrives on Tuesday.

Something I really like about this unit is the wide top - my center channel is going to have a great platform right on top of the TV.

The first thing my wife said when I showed it to her was, "Oh, my lands, that thing is BIG". (Minds out of the gutter, please).

Now comes the scramble to create a wall for the upgrade: I had to move one picture, which led to painting the whole damn living room, and the only downside is I am losing some storage space for videos and blank tapes by losing my old (but nice) oak entertainment center that housed my 27".