As soon as its listed here, I go check Ebay. Who else does that?

JL Sargent

I would expect a break from a friend or family member if they had something I wanted to keep and use for myself, not to flip, but I would not expect to pay any less than they paid, especially if they just bought it. If they were in a bad way financially (hence the need for the sale) I might offer them more based on the circumstances.

Every time you sell something to someone for below market value you are basically reaching into your wallet and handing that person money, period. Some can afford and are inspired to do such things while others depend on the revenue created by the sale. Not everyone is in the same pair of shoes.

And I'll repeat that when I gave someone on this forum a very nice tube amp for a bargain basement price they bought it and turned it over almost immediately to make themselves a buck. This is the reason for these posts of mine on this subject. That still bugs me to this day. I would not do that here, but that's just me. I'm not that desperate for a buck.

This can work both ways though.   A couple of years ago, I purchased a nice pair of speakers from a long time forum member for about the max that the market would bare for them.  After buying them, I later found an earlier thread where the seller was sharing his excitement at finding this exact pair of speakers for 1/4 of the price that he had sold them to me for.  He had basically flipped them for a 400% profit without having done anything to them (no added value on his end).   What bothered me even more was the speakers had been listed as "almost mint" but it failed to disclose what that "almost" was.  In this case, it was a 4"+ water damage spot on the top of one speakers that was not severe or even real noticeable unless you looked for it or rubbed your hand across the top and felt the raised grain but it bugged me so much that I eventually had glass tops made so I would stop thinking about it.  These speakers had to travel to get to me and I agreed to the purchase price based on the listing.  I agreed to buy them sight unseen and placed a lot of trust in the seller.  In the interest of full disclosure, that water damage should have been mentioned but doing so would have resulted in a possible counter offer and less profit for the seller.   I felt a bit taken advantage of which would not surprise me with ebay but it did happening here and like you.....it still bugs me to this day.

Mark

Edited by mwells

yep. water damage should have been disclosed. think that issue is a deal breaker. the item is not as described. in addition to that paying top dollar. i wouldn't feel good about that either. 

I would not be comfortable making a profit like that selling to a forum member. It's just a bro thing.