Need help picking a new receiver $300 max

bobendele

Thanks for all the replies and offers!

I ended up getting a Denon S700W and I am even more pleased than before (still being a newb and all).

Haven't had too much time to play with it; just hooked everything about an hour ago. I did notice after doing the Audyssey set up it did set the F-30s to large? It also set up the freqs for all the other speakers and it sounds pretty damn good as is; the only reap]on I mention it is that they are not at the THQ recommended 80hz. Just curious if most people tend to stick to the recommendation of just play it by ear?

Just wondering in your original post you stated klipsch recommending a receiver with more power than the 90w sony yet you got a 75w denon?

Hello all,

So I've had my set up for a few weeks now and have throughly enjoyed it; however I have noticed at higher volumes the smaller speakers just can't keep up to the sub. If I turn the sub way down its still like the smaller speakers just aren't getting very loud. I shot Klipsch support line an email and apparently my receiver isn't producing enough power and could actually damage the speakers. Bellow is my current set up. According to Klipsch I need at least 150 watts to run the F-30 floor speakers to their potential?

Klipsch F-30 floor speakers

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 35Hz-23KHz ± 3dB SENSITIVITY: 97.5dB @ 2.83V / 1m POWER HANDLING: 150W RMS / 600W Peak

C-10 premium center

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 100Hz-23KHz ± 3dB SENSITIVITY: 93.5dB @ 2.83V / 1m POWER HANDLING: 50W RMS / 200W Peak

S-10 premium WDST surround sound (pair)

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 95Hz-23KHz ± 3dB SENSITIVITY: 89dB @ 2.83V / 1m POWER HANDLING: 50W RMS / 200W Peak

BIC America F-12 sub

• Frequency Response: 25Hz - 200Hz
  • Sensitivity: 90dB
  • Recommended Power: Built-in Amplifier Power: 475 watts Dynamic Peak, 150 watts RMS continuous
  • Impedance: 8 ohms

Sony SRT-DH520 receiver

AUDIO POWER SPECIFICATIONS

POWER OUTPUT AND TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORTION:

(USA model only)

With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20 – 20,000 Hz; rated 90 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.09% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.

Just curious if anyone would / could suggest a receiver in the $300 price range with the proper wattage to run this set up?

I had f30s and run them on an NAD 275BEE 150wpc power amp. They were awesome and kept up with my velodyne cht12q

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies and offers!

I ended up getting a Denon S700W and I am even more pleased than before (still being a newb and all).

Haven't had too much time to play with it; just hooked everything about an hour ago. I did notice after doing the Audyssey set up it did set the F-30s to large? It also set up the freqs for all the other speakers and it sounds pretty damn good as is; the only reap]on I mention it is that they are not at the THQ recommended 80hz. Just curious if most people tend to stick to the recommendation of just play it by ear?

Just wondering in your original post you stated klipsch recommending a receiver with more power than the 90w sony yet you got a 75w denon?

The denon AVR S700W has a RMS peak of 165 watts per channel. Given the other speakers I am also running in the system I figured this was a good compromise........? The Audysee auto cal / mic feature really made thigs easy (for a starting point at least)  and I am very pleased with how the system sounds now. Also was pretty surprised at the inceased picture quality from using the Denen to the old Sony sound bar and the other Sony I used for a short time.

If this system is still under powered, I cant tell like I could with the Sony; but then again I dont know any better either and I could be missing out on so much more.

• Like 1

If you watch this one it can be had for about $350 as an open box. Just check in once or twice daily.  Free ship and no tax. I know its streaching but it has been great for me with my RF-62's. Also you get a 3 year warranty.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX2100/Denon-AVR-X2100W-IN-Command.html?tp=179

My local dealer uses this for demoing their Klipsch speakers. Yamaha open box for $315.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV477/Yamaha-RX-V477.html?cc=02&tp=179

Edited by stygz

If you watch this one it can be had for about $350 as an open box. Just check in once or twice daily.  Free ship and no tax. I know its streaching but it has been great for me with my RF-62's. Also you get a 3 year warranty.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVX2100/Denon-AVR-X2100W-IN-Command.html?tp=179

My local dealer uses this for demoing their Klipsch speakers. Yamaha open box for $315.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV477/Yamaha-RX-V477.html?cc=02&tp=179

Thanks, stygz I went through accessories4less. I didnt know about crutchfield, but that has some great prices as well!