Need help picking a new receiver $300 max

bobendele

Save up and buy a receiver based off of performance, not price.

Some really awesome advice there, honestly.

I'd limp by with the Sony until you could get yourself a real receiver that you'd be happy with and will actually suit your needs.

• Like 1

I wouldn't touch any of them either, if you go 3-5 years old, they all still have HDMI, 4K, and 3D. The 4K at this point is a waste, as they are already changing everything.

Any of the Yamahas RX-A1010 and up to the RX-A2020 SERIES will be fine at 110 watts per and 140 watts per, don't worry to much about the 30-40 watts of power. I run KF-28's,C-20,2 sets of RS-14's, KB-15 and 2 subs through my receiver and have no issues, you'll calibrate everything with the hook up mic.My Synergy/ICON system is 9.2 channels and ICON is basically the Synergy line with a different cabinet,that's it. There is a very slight difference in crossover, but they have the same power ratings.

Any receiver that does not specifically state all channels are pushing the same power is going to drop with output power and will drop more as you add more speakers.

If Yamaha isn't for you, try the Onkyo TX-NR709-809 and models younger than them. The 709 is 110 watts, and the 809 is 130 watts.

If Onkyo isn't for you try the Denon X2000 SERIES,3000 SERIES,and 4000 series on older models, they will give you more power, or go Marantz 6000 and 7000 series with older models. 110 watts and better.

My receivers are 140 watts per channel, and 125 watts per channel for the livng room and family room, my bedroom is 90 watts per channel but is also pushing smaller bookshelf speakers and only 1 sub. Both the other systems push 9.2 channels.

• Like 2

You might try looking at used Pioneer's then as well. I've found some really killer deals on VSX models over the last few days on Craigslist. I'd put a Pioneer ahead of an Onkyo any day...

Yamaha's RX-A models are the only way to go right now, but even the older ones are probably out of your budget at $300.

Edited by IbizaFlame

you  may be able to get a 1010 for that price, but I wouldn't go below that model as the A7 series is basically the RX-V series, and the A8 series doesn't have enough pop IMO.

I forgot to mention Pioneer also

OP, there is interest from other members on the 2 receivers for sale in this thread. Please let us know as we strive to do these things in an orderly fashion on this forum. You were the first one offered these things so if you want one of them, we will honor that. If not, we need to move to the next ones in line. Please advise Sir.  Thanks

There's a Pioneer near me for sale for $100:

http://iowacity.craigslist.org/ele/4916213903.html

Could check into it as well. It's not an Elite, so it wouldn't compare with the other two receivers offered in this thread, but it'd be at least a step up from your Sony.

mxr guy is a stand up guy as well. Don't hesitate to do business with him.

+1

I especially like that he's selling a receiver because he doesn't like the display. That sounds like something I'd do too. :D

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

mxr guy is a stand up guy as well. Don't hesitate to do business with him.

+1

I especially like that he's selling a receiver because he doesn't like the display. That sounds like something I'd do too. :D

Thanks Ibizaflame. I was really looking forward to that Marantz too. Literally had it hooked up 1 day and it sounded great. Damn getting older and losing 20/20 vision sux!!! I would think "younger" eyes would do fine with it. 

Haha...I like seeing information on the display windows as well. Though admittedly my longing for information is more because...I like indicators and lights. But then the problem becomes sleeping in the same room as the audio equipment and sleeping with all those lights on. I can't win.

Thanks for all the replies and offers! 

I ended up getting a Denon S700W and I am even more pleased than before (still being a newb and all). 

Haven't had too much time to play with it; just hooked everything about an hour ago. I did notice after doing the Audyssey set up it did set the F-30s to large? It also set up the freqs for all the other speakers and it sounds pretty damn good as is; the only reap]on I mention it is that they are not at the THQ recommended 80hz. Just curious if most people tend to stick to the recommendation of just play it by ear?