Need help with OTA local HD tv

Thaddeus Smith

I have a Fry's local to me.. i may go check them out during lunch one day.

Figure a Big single "Ovenrack" UHF array is about $60, if i ever get on my roof again im going to double up on mine.

I get Frisco stations @85 miles away with one array.

• Like 2

Before you go with a parabolic uhf or 2 bay,4 bay,8 bay uhf antennas, make sure they are not calling for a vhf/uhf/directional antenna such as the winegard. The traditional type and style for dual reception as, vhf is still used for certain channels in various locations per my experience.Let me show you.

• Like 1

Before you go with a parabolic uhf or 2 bay,4 bay,8 bay uhf antennas, make sure they are not calling for a vhf/uhf/directional antenna such as the winegard. The traditional type and style for dual reception as, vhf is still used for certain channels in various locations per my experience.Let me show you.

Good point.

The reason i did NOT show or elabrate on VHF is that it is for the most part gone, and will be totaly gone in our lifetime.

• Like 2

n example of a directional. Looks like they are building more features into the system since I last looked. Just make certain the antenna type/size is correct for you.

Just to repeat, bigger is better for staying on station and signal attenuation.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=HD8200U&d=Winegard-Heavy-Duty-Platinum-VHFUHFFM-HDTV-Antenna(HD8200U)&c=TV Antennas&sku=615798398491

If all uhf:

http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=SHD9095&d=Winegard-HD-9095P-UHF-Yagi-Style-HDTV-TV-Antenna-(HD9095P)&post=

High vhf channel w/ uhf:

http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewitem.asp?p=HD7698P&d=Winegard-HD-7698P-High-Definition-VHFUHF-HD769-Series-Antenna-(HD7698P)&post=

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

Good point.

The reason i did NOT show or elabrate on VHF is that it is for the most part gone, and will be totaly gone in our lifetime.

Have not looked lately Mark, so thanks for that update.
  • Like 1

The good ol FCC ripped off us Hams for a boat load of FREQ's some years back and this HD/Digital Coversion is part of it.

The original Tv station equip for VHF is cheap compared to Hd/Digital at 5 times the cost, anything anyone is pulling in on VHF will simply disappear once their new equip is up and certified.

Actually I do recall the hub bub about them wanting the vhf frequency. In the meantime, use a vhf antenna directional if called for. FCC and their timetables get pushed back all of the time, if history is any lesson with them.

• Like 1

I love my father in law, but I'm trying to keep him out of this project.. otherwise I'll end up with a 60ft tower, 4 antennas, and study material for my own HAM license before I can even blink an eye.

I will not, and DO NOT talk about Ham Radio to any youngin today. you are maintaining a wise choice Grasshopper.

What i do push youngin's toward is Electronics/Pc's/Software/Gaming/Rc stuff and a stint in the service.

• Like 2

I love my father in law, but I'm trying to keep him out of this project.. otherwise I'll end up with a 60ft tower, 4 antennas, and study material for my own HAM license before I can even blink an eye.

I will not, and DO NOT talk about Ham Radio to any youngin today. you are maintaining a wise choice Grasshopper.

What i do push youngin's toward is Electronics/Pc's/Software/Gaming/Rc stuff and a stint in the service.

My brother in law (same age) is a HAM, but he's not into SCUBA with my FIL, and I am. I try to connect wherever possible with him, but HAM bores the bejeezus out of me.

He loves to catalogue things, is a big geography nut, and an electrical engineer specializing in RADAR technologies.. it has always been a primary interest of his. Birding, SCUBA (so he can do fish surveys while diving), firearms and ballistics are his other major hobbies.

The link for the FCC site to look up station (with maps, and data) show what the stations are broadcasting on, UHF, Hi-VHF, Low-VHF. All you have to do is put in your zip code. I think the other link allows you to put in Lat/Long. to be more accurate.

Bruce

• Like 1