Need help with OTA local HD tv

Thaddeus Smith

Wife is finally interested in killing DirecTV since we mostly watch netflix or local channels. So i just need some guidance on where to start with antennas, receivers, brands to avoid, etc.

No HOA, can install anywhere I want on roof or even the tower behind my garage. I'm about 50 miles outside of Dallas metro.

I use rabbit ears where I live now, and get great reception, but the stations broadcast from the top of a mountain a few miles away.

You don't need a special antenna, but I would think you would need a fairly good sized one.

Try this online program. Put in your zip code and it will show tv stations you should be able to reach, and the drection to point the antenna (degrees).

http://www.antennaweb.org

As you put your mouse on a given stations antenna, it highlights it on the map.

I had a better one, but I can't locate the link right now.

This FCC map tool may give better info:

http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/

Bruce

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 1

I have a Clearstream antenna and really like it.  The higher you put it, the better but be aware that you'll have to properly point it for best picture and most channels.  I used a cell phone as I adjusted it while my wife watched the picture. 

I lived in Krum (outside of Denton) for 6 years and had an antenna in my attic fired towards cedar hill and picked them all up perfectly. Can't remember the antenna I used but I'm in the same situation now being 50 miles from Little Rock and with a Clearstream antenna mounted to the old Dish Network satellite pole, I pick them all up perfectly too. Where are you located?

I'm just NE of McKinney. I have an old antenna stand on the roof I can use. I can go higher up on my brother in law's 100' tower behind the garage (uses it for his wireless ISP business), but then I've got to run coax and higher powered preamps to cover the 80 yds to my living room + tower height.

I currently have my directv dish mounted at ground level with a perfect vision to the sky (best numbers the install tech had ever seen apparently), but that won't be sufficient for OTA.

Basically I can do anything I want, it just boils down to cost and effort. Not worried about sports or cable shows (only watch nascar and I obtain the other shows through alternative means already). My wife just wants the local news and whatever daytime shows are on CBS, NBC, etc.

If Dallas is your closest metro, then yes a directional near fringe, like a Winegard with preamp should just about do it, in a fixed position. If the roof mount is suitable, that may be a good location. Bearing in mind that you may have to go back up from time to time for tweaking. Keep the coax run as short as possible to the main set or junction box. The reason for having a bit larger than called for antenna is, you want to maintain above threshold signal strength for attenuation.

You'll be amazed at how easy you'll pick up stations with even a basic low cost outside antenna.  I think I spent $30 on the one I used in Krum/Denton and I had all of the channels with 80% or higher on strength.  Currently, I go from the antenna to a powered/amplified 3-way splitter as I have the signal to the living room LCD, master bedroom plasma, and one of the kids bedrooms LCD and all get the same channels.  So if you're hooking to more than one, don't forget to add that.

I bought two of these (1 for the main TV and 1 for the lesser used TV's) and a 10db amp (cheap RCA brand at Wal-Mart) for each with single runs of RG6 Quad Shield coax from Parts Express. Mounted it all in the attic and it works great. Terminated the ends with compression F-connectors from Home Depot.

Only problem is if it gets really windy or storms outside, then it pixelates just a little bit, but comes back within a few seconds.

Edited by Mighty Favog

I guess the real problem then is how to route it through my AVR - I don't want to connect directly to the TV, reroute sound back to the AVR, etc.

I ran mine directly to the TV.  My TV has audio out jacks so I went from there to the receiver as an input.  I can get 5.1 when broadcast.

I'm 35 miles out and tried a regular ole Radio Shack antenna in the attic and wasn't real happy. I then installed same cheap RS antenna on a pole attached to my chimney and all is good. I seem to get every HD and SD signal from Bham. 

Here it is:

http://www.radioshack.com/antennacraft-5884-colorking-58-vhf-uhf-fm-hdtv-antenna/1500052.html#start=16&q=outdoor%2Bantenna&sz=12&srule=Price-low-high

I guess the real problem then is how to route it through my AVR - I don't want to connect directly to the TV, reroute sound back to the AVR, etc.

Not happen'n unless your AVR has an digital NTSC tuner on board. I bet not. Like Carl said run RG-6 coax to TV then SPDIF out to AVR. If you have a TV AND AVR with HDMI ARC then you can use that for audio return to AVR. In this case you would go coax to TV and HDMI from DVD/BRP thru AVR to TV (using appropriate ARC HMDI channel, mine is weird it uses HDMI 3 for ARC).

What you want unless grounded to code and even then. Especially then, I would first terminate dc coax with a pass through dc with plenty of joules and anti- burn materials and put in a non flam. environment. Of course I live in Florida but, either way. Been fortunate with my 18 foot mast with a close run into set. Of course it travels through 2 amps on mine,before Sony,lol.