My Forte's are a tunning fork

derrickdj1

I have had my Forte speakers for a few week and have been enjoying them in the HT along with the RF 7 system.  Since I had the Fortes I have develop and echo when playing the RF 7's system for music.  I re-ran MCACC(Pioneer autocalibration) to see if it's reverb function would get rid of the problem.  I have even moved speakers in the limited space available but, echoing contined.

Well, I guess I need room treatments?  As I started making some acoustic panels it popped in my head, the Forte's are acting like a tunning fork.  Certain frequencies from the RF 7's were sharing the resonace frequency of the Forte's cabinet, lol.  If you strike a tunning fork and have an identical one held next to it, the second tunning fork will start to vibrate with the first tunning fork even though you did not strike the second fork.  The two forks have identical resonance, lol.  I thought this was a funny problem for a 2 ch system.

To fix the problem I put the big subs between the to speakers.  The heavy MDF is pretty dead and breaks up the resonance frequecies due to the heavy MDF. :P  I also ended up with some acoustic panels.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

An interesting side effect of having too many speakers :P

Yes.  Maybe this summer I will move the Fortes to another room after I charm the wife a little,lol.

I thought the first comment would be to check the bracing in the Forte, lol. 

Interested to know how you went about making the panels? And from what materials?

Acoustic Panels:

spray adhesive/wood glue

tacking nails

thumb tack

cloth from fabric store

2 ft. long 1x2 soft wood for top and bottom of panels

yard sticks for vertical portion of frame

R13 insulation(ticker/denser insulation is recommended but hard to make reasonable panels due to tickness)

• Like 1