Oppo is Awesome

Rivernuggets

I bought a defective Oppo BDP-83 off Craigslist.  The seller never described the problem.  He shipped it to me because our schedules prevented meeting somewhere between Milwaukee and Madison.

Contacted Oppo last Saturday over email just to get the ball rolling.  Figured they'd get back to me on Monday.  Within an hour someone emailed me back!  Another back and forth email and I had an RMA number for returning the unit to be repaired.

I guess the symptom of the tray not opening can happen with 83's.  They're repairing and sending it back this week sometime.  All I had to pay was shipping to them.

I've read about their great their customer service in the past.  VERY true.  It's rare to have a company get back to you on a Saturday.

Oppo rules.

• Like 2

The tray was bad enough Oppo had to replace it which put me back $79.  Arrived today with a new box and packaging.  They somehow addressed the smoke smell from the previous owner.  Cleaned out the inside or they have 'new electronics' smell in spray cans.  It even had that clear plastic layer over the front display for shipping.  It's like receiving a new BDP-83.  This will be used in my two channel set up.

It may be ?

Maybe they have a stack of 83's to trade out if a hopeless one (like mine!) arrives.

service like this makes it easy to figure out where to buy when needed.

Exactly!  Purchased a new 103 earlier this week and it arrived today with this repaired 83.  The 83 will be for two channel and the 103 replaces a Sony Blu-Ray we've had for six years.

Oppo party in the house!

• Like 1

I bought a defective Oppo BDP-83 off Craigslist.  The seller never described the problem.  He shipped it to me because our schedules prevented meeting somewhere between Milwaukee and Madison.

Contacted Oppo last Saturday over email just to get the ball rolling.  Figured they'd get back to me on Monday.  Within an hour someone emailed me back!  Another back and forth email and I had an RMA number for returning the unit to be repaired.

I guess the symptom of the tray not opening can happen with 83's.  They're repairing and sending it back this week sometime.  All I had to pay was shipping to them.

I've read about their great their customer service in the past.  VERY true.  It's rare to have a company get back to you on a Saturday.

Oppo rules.

They sticking tray door is a common problem with that particular model.  

They sticking tray door is a common problem with that particular model.

They said if the tray hasn't been forced in any way, it (most of the time) can be fixed with the owner only paying shipping to Oppo.  Mine was having reading errors along with the tray issue.  They replaced the loading mechanism.

Very cool they fix the problem and support a discontinued model.  They sent an email with every step of the process.  Just a great company with top notch players.

They repaired the door on mine. We never experienced reading errors, but the tray door kept acting-up, and I finally got frustrated enough to call them. At first, I spoke with an oriental fella who spoke very poor english, and we ended up getting disconnected. I thought he hung up on me and was initially upset, but less than 3 min. later, someone called me back (I guess they had caller recognition), apologized for the disconnect, and took care of me. Shipping fees were all we paid too.

I really appreciated their customer service, it is the way it should be and more. And the quality of their BluRay / DVD players are among the best available, JMHO. There's no shortage of 5 star reviews, and I liked our old 83 so much, I purchased a 105 about a 2 yrs. ago.... and going to buy another for my kids television upstairs, actually, I'm going to give them my old 105, and get the Darbee edition for myself.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

I really appreciated their customer service, it is the way it should be and more.

Yes, a model for many other companies.   :emotion-21:

There's no shortage of 5 star reviews, and I liked our old 83 so much, I purchased a 105 about a 2 yrs. ago.... and going to buy another for my kids television upstairs....

Same here.  After reading about the amazing Oppo for years and experiencing their customer service first hand I bought a 103.  Been wanting to upgrade our Blu-ray for a while.

actually, I'm going to give them my old 105, and get the Darbee edition for myself.

After some time with the 105D please compare it to the 105 and post your thoughts on both.  Looks like the 105 has been discontinued.

Edited by Rivernuggets

Same here. After reading about the amazing Oppo for years and experiencing their customer service first hand I bought a 103. Been wanting to upgrade our Blu-ray for a while.

Did you get your music streams going yet?

Not yet,  only because I haven't set aside the time.

Everything has worked very well and was easy to set up.  Found our router and linked to that in a few minutes.  Watched a couple movies.  Load and response time is way faster than our Sony.  Streaming Netflix and Pandora has been fun.  Really enjoying this player.  Been too distracted with it in my free time to set up personal music collection streaming.

I'll post when I get the tunes from our desktop going.  Or it will be a question.  :D