HDMI Sync Issues with Panasonic AE8000u

Youthman

• Moderators

At the same time I purchased my Panasonic AE8000u, I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR5008 receiver. When I first picked up the receiver, it was locking up on me so I sent it off to Onkyo to replace the HDMI board. Upon returning, that did not fix the locking up issue I was having so I took it to a local Authorized Onkyo Repair Center and they fixed the issue.

The new projector is working great but there are a lot of times when I turn on the Projector and Onkyo that I get a blank screen. I typically have to switch inputs on the Projector to get it to sync up. Any ideas what would cause this or better yet, how to fix it? How can I tell if it's the Onkyo or the Panny that's the issue?

Divergent.jpg

Did you try high-speed good quality (lower gage) cable? I believe, your run must be longer than typical HT set up due to the projector mounted on the ceiling.

Couple of links on selecting a specific HDMI cable for your needs (1) Type of cable (2) Length of cable

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/how_to_connect.aspx

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/finding_right_cable.aspx

Quote:

25 to 100 feet - If you need to send a 1080p signal more than 25 feet, or a 1080i signal more than 49 feet, active electronics will help boost the HDMI signal to compensate. You can purchase either a stand-alone booster box or an active cable, where the circuitry is embedded in the connectors themselves. Both types require an external power source.

Unquote:

Edited by pite

• Moderators

My son just told me today, he exited out of a game on the PS3 and the screen flickered (like it usually does between inputs) and it went to a blank screen.  Wonder if the High Speed HDMI cable would fix that?

• Like 1

• Moderators

That's interesting that the cable that I'm using and linked to now on their website says it supports up to 1080i.  I'm wondering if they changed the stats on it after coming out with the new "High Speed" cables. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

As USNRET said, have you tried the order in which you power the devices on? I had similiar issues with an onkyo tx sr805 ~5 years ago. The "fix" was the order the devices were powered on.

Sorry, I didn't see where he had posted.  I had considered it and that might help on the boot up but what about when my son just exited a game in the PS4?

One thing I guess I can try is to use a different HDMI cable that I have from the PS3 to the Receiver.  Who knows, that might resolve the issue. 

• Like 1

Yes, you can try the order of turning the devices on, but, in reality, if HDMI specification is properly implemented then it shouldn't be the case. Since, I've never dealt with Onkyo I can't comment.

I never have had an issue as in order of turning on the devices e.g. I turn on various devices such as Samsung TV, Sharp TV, HTPC, Denon SACD player, Denon DVD Player, Samsung Blu Ray player, Samsung DVD player as and when I wish.

The interesting thing that I found from your link related the HDMI cable:

Description
40ft 24AWG CL2 Standard HDMI® Cable - Black

A Standard HDMI® Cable from Monoprice is the only way to ensure that you have the ability to pass the standard signals authorized in the latest HDMI feature specification.

The CL2 rating on this cable indicates that its outer jacket has been designed to burn more slowly, thereby making it safe for use inside or through the walls of residential classed buildings. The CL2 rating ensures that your cable installation complies with fire safety codes and insurance requirements.

TIP: It is a good idea to test cables and connections before installing them inside a wall. If there are any issues or problems, we can help you resolve them before you spend the time, effort, and expense of installing them inside the walls.

This cable supports the following HDMI features:

• 720p/1080i Resolution - The Standard HDMI Cable has sufficient bandwidth to transfer 720p/1080i video signals between 720p/1080i rated source and sink (display) devices

The 720p/1080i drew my attention. Not sure, if there is a possibility for you to check with High Speed Cable with a shorter run.

That's interesting that the cable that I'm using and linked to now on their website says it supports up to 1080i.  I'm wondering if they changed the stats on it after coming out with the new "High Speed" cables. 

Unfortunately, there was a period of time, when many manufacturers labeled/advertised their HDMI cables incorrectly.

• Moderators

Yeah, I noticed that too Pite but it has always worked before with my Yamaha and HK receiver with the Panny AE3000u.  Problem is I changed two components at the same time (Receiver and Projector) so I'm not sure which is the issue.

(1) TX-NR5008 THX Ultra2 Plus Certified 3-D Ready 9.2 Channel Network Receiver

HDMI Version V1.4a (supports 3D video and Audio Return Channel)

(2) Panasonic PT-AE8000U

http://www.panasonic.com/business/projectors/PT-AE8000U.asp

Scanning Frequency - HDMI:  480p, 576p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 1080/24p, 1080/60p, 1080/50p

In case of Panasonic PT-AE8000U, it doesn't clearly say anywhere regarding HDMI type, but I can infer from the scanning frequency and "The PT-AE8000U full-HD 3D home theater projector....." that it's 1.4 or 1.4a type to facillitate variuos 3D formats.

AE3000u: That seems to be a non-3D projector from circa 2008, potentially HDMI 1.3.

Confirmation: http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/projector_spec_4506.pdf (page 2)

Terminals: HDMI IN

HDMI connector x 3, HDMI™ (V.1.3 with Deep Color, x.v.Color™* 7 ),

HDCP compliant

Edited by pite
  • Like 1

My son just told me today, he exited out of a game on the PS3 and the screen flickered (like it usually does between inputs) and it went to a blank screen.  Wonder if the High Speed HDMI cable would fix that?

I use the Redmere 40' cable with no problems at all..

As USNRET said, have you tried the order in which you power the devices on? I had similiar issues with an onkyo tx sr805 ~5 years ago. The "fix" was the order the devices were powered on.

Sorry, I didn't see where he had posted.  I had considered it and that might help on the boot up but what about when my son just exited a game in the PS4?

One thing I guess I can try is to use a different HDMI cable that I have from the PS3 to the Receiver.  Who knows, that might resolve the issue. 

When I had problems with HDMI handshake with the BenQ 1070... I ended up replacing all my HDMI cables to the same brand (Redmere), and the problem went away.

- General info regarding HDMI 1.4 and type of cable (standard speed or high speed)

http://www.cnet.com/news/still-more-reasons-why-all-hdmi-cable-are-the-same/

- Active cable

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9431&seq=1&format=2

However, before buying a new cable, I would connect the projector and receiver with known-good High-Speed HDMI cable (6-10ft) and see that it works all the time.

Good luck man!

Edited by pite
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I haven't ordered yet but am glad I hadn't.  I just remembered.....when we rebuild the new front wall to 150", the projector will have to be moved back to the back wall so instead of 40', I'll need a 50' HDMI cable.  That would have not been cool.  LOL