Hospice crawfish fest

dtel

• Moderators

Well it was fun and I ate a lot of crawfish and will go back next year.

I would guess they raised a lot of money, most people working were volunteers.

One crawfish escaped that I know of.

post-9700-0-54640000-1429556897_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

• Moderators

So first they are steamed, then they are soaked in the seasoned water?

I guess that's the way to do it if you are repeating the process a lot.  Not like doing a low country boil just once.

No way, there boiled in the seasoning then soaked in it also. We'll leave the steaming for lobsters up north. :D  

Your right that looked like a lot of work, I will just walk around and eat, the easy part.

Of all the crawfish I tried only 2 were not great, one a little to salty, another to mild, the rest were good. Most had the normal stuff, sausage, heads of garlic, onions and mushrooms. but a few had other different vegetables, like snap beans, broccoli and some other things. tjhat was nice it gave you chance to try different things. And I did :emotion-21:  

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Yeah forgot about competition; no doubt many recipes &/or methods...

So first they are steamed, then they are soaked in the seasoned water?

I guess that's the way to do it if you are repeating the process a lot. Not like doing a low country boil just once.

No, there boiled in the seasoning then soaked in it also.

Your right that looked like a lot of work, I will just walk around and eat, the easy part.

Of all the crawfish I tried only 2 were not great, one a little to salty, another to mild, the rest were good. Some had the normal stuff, sausage, heads of garlic, onions and mushrooms. but a few had other different vegetables, like snap beans, broccoli and some other things. tjhat was nice it gave you chance to try different things. And I did :emotion-21:

• Like 1

Hey Elden,

I'm jealous as all get out!

Looks mighty tasty and like a lot of fun!

Kevs dad puts on a lot of family boils and Kevin has a custom made table with holes in it covered in Formica that a customer built for him. They also have the big rectangle trays just like at a restaurant and load you up. Boy let me tell you sumptin, that Coon-*** can peel! He will get through 5 in the time it takes me to get through one. A lot of memories from when I was living in Louisiana!! I hope yawl got real swole and had a lot of fun! I thing that your Wild Turkey Honey would go real fine with them Mud Bugs as well!!

VERY jealous.... Roger

• Like 4

• Moderators

Check out the scary dude with the hospital wristband in the third picture above (post #4 picture 3). The drink wristbands are red. Escaped from the funny farm. :)

He obviously didn't like being in the picture....

Well they may have had some escape from the funny farm ? He never said anything, if he had a problem it was his.....maby he didn't want his wife to see him with a friend ? :o

The wrist bands were put on everyone as you went in, red was most people and I think blue for people on teams. I wish there were drink wristbands.

• Like 1

• Moderators

^^^ someone stuck a hollowed tail back in that cooked crawfish & staged that photo...

Ah look it's uncooked,  there were ditches or low spots behind the backs of each row, being it was thousands of pounds a few got away I guess? 

Here is some kids playing in it and catching some runaways, It rained for days before this. They were also purging the crawfish in big tubs and draining the saltwater off there, I would guess that's going to be a lot of dead grass back there.

post-9700-0-92840000-1429558189_thumb.jp

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

dtel,

This was free?(except the beer). Or was it one price admission then all you can eat?

Looks like a heck of a good time either way.

It was $30 a person and all you can eat with 3 bands, drinks, beer or daiquiris you paid separately , we surely got my $ worth and plan on going back next year. This was the 11th annual and our first. 

Crawfish is around $1.79 live right now, by the time you add in seasoning cost this was a deal, especially for as much as I ate, and without the work.

84 lumber set up banks of sinks which was nice to every once in a while wash your hands to get the seasoning off.......wouldn't want to touch you eyes by accident ! :o

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2

• Moderators
Kevs dad puts on a lot of family boils and Kevin has a custom made table with holes in it covered in Formica that a customer built for him. They also have the big rectangle trays just like at a restaurant and load you up. Boy let me tell you sumptin, that Coon-*** can peel! He will get through 5 in the time it takes me to get through one. A lot of memories from when I was living in Louisiana!!

I have heard about Kevins boils, he lives in the perfect place for it, Laff I ete.

Bet I could keep up with Kevin peeling, been practicing all my life. :)

• Like 3

• Moderators

Dtel,

You know this is 2 weekends in a row you had a heck of a good time. You are living right :). I'm envious.

Thou shall not covet.....Thou shall not covet....

I know I don't deserve all this fun,  :blink:  but I have to say I don't leave home much so I will be making up for it for a while at home working,....or until something good comes up. :o  :D

I usually tell people I am home unless I'm out of the country (cruise) a couple times a year and it's true, except for an occasional trip to the French quarter which we haven't done in a good while. I leave here to get stuff from home depot or the other hardware store across town and there are whole building completed I had never even seen started. I really don't get out much except for a good reason, and I have to say this was a good reason. :emotion-21:

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
I took like 14 Lobsters to one of the boils and Brandon wanted to throw them in the boil!

Always wanted to try that, I think it would work, the meat is about the same texture, the crawfish is built just like a miniature lobster. But $ has always stopped that idea.

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

Yep, twist off the head and grab the meat with you teeth and pinch the tail to get the meat out, quick and simple, and of course pinch the head while sucking out the fat and juice, it's how it's done.

Wish I had some more right now, I can easily eat 20 pounds !

• Like 2

• Moderators

Dtel,

You know this is 2 weekends in a row you had a heck of a good time. You are living right :). I'm envious.

Thou shall not covet.....Thou shall not covet....

If you only knew how much convincing it took to get dtel out of the house for the second weekend in a row.  I told him, "get used to it"!   :)    

• Like 2

This sounds like an awesome event!!! I have never had this type of boil. Sent the wife looking for some of the spice you mentioned and pulled out some crab legs from the fridge, if she cant find it I will do my usual of old bay and homemade Cajun/blackening seasoning.... Wish we could get fresh crayfish around here, the Asian markets have them, but they always look lethargic. Fun event it would be worth the trip it sounds like....

• Like 3

• Moderators

This sounds like an awesome event!!! I have never had this type of boil. Sent the wife looking for some of the spice you mentioned and pulled out some crab legs from the fridge, if she cant find it I will do my usual of old bay and homemade Cajun/blackening seasoning.... Wish we could get fresh crayfish around here, the Asian markets have them, but they always look lethargic. Fun event it would be worth the trip it sounds like....

There were a lot of people from surrounding states and other areas of the country.  If you let us know we could always ship you some crab/shrimp/crawfish boil seasoning!