what's the ultimate sub build? :)

Paducah Home Theater

21's please...just wait a while and go with the 32" big boy.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2244754-new-ist-mach-5-32-sub-thread.html

Different company, same size.  $7,500 for the driver alone.  

https://www.facebook.com/DS18SOUND/posts/788947791232239

12342820_788947777898907_185584023788066

• Like 1

I use to keep up on all the ID subs but, have lost a lot of interest in them since DIY is a far better and cheaper options  Reading stuff up on DIY is also more interesting.  And, for the life of me, I don't know why there is so much sub A vs sub B concerning ID subs.  Setup and the room play such a big part of the sound.  Plus, do all those guys really have the subs setup to perform best?  There are not leaps of different sound from SVS compared to PSA, to HSU, RA, ect., lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

I use to keep up on all the ID subs but, have lost a lot of interest in them since DIY is a far better and cheaper options Reading stuff up on DIY is also more interesting. And, for the life of me, I don't know why there is so much sub A vs sub B concerning ID subs. Setup and the room play such a big part of the sound. Plus, do all those guys really have the subs setup to perform best? There are not leaps of different sound from SVS compared to PSA, to HSU, RA, ect., lol.

ditto.

Some of these companies are becoming quite good with their marketing engine.  SVS is getting almost as good as Klipsch in the marketing department.  People like that stuff.  

Also I think the DSP functions help these guys out quite a bit.  They're not just subs and an amp.  They're messing with the DSP to boost the low end and kill common room mode issues in normal sized rooms right out of the box.  People like that stuff.  

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2206417-stereo-integrity-ds4-18-a.html

Looks like Stereo Integrity is working on an ultimax killer. More xmax, lower voice coil inductance, 4" voice coil, lower Fs, American made, at least ten bucks cheaper, slightly higher efficiency... Dayton's going to be real bummed out come April.

First transmission line I've seen in home theater.  

http://www.e-e.com.au/brands/wisdom-audio/wisdom-audio-sts-subwoofer.html

Ha, they call it the ultimate too.  

http://www.wisdomaudio.com/pdfs/Wisdom_STS.pdf

Dual 15's... 5,000 watts on top of a 101 db sensitivity.  130 db output at 20 hz and apparently only 3 db down from that at 15 hz.  It doesn't say whether that's in-room or not, but that's measured at 1 meter so I doubt it.  Each 15 has a 4" voice coil and can handle 2,800 watts each.  This is out of a cabinet that's only 17.5" wide.  That's nuts.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 3 weeks later...

That's a blast having the kids help!  By the way Metro, the room looks great!!! :)

Thanks man.  

Finally got these working last night, since you study the math and whatnot I thought I'd ask you about the response.  I don't understand what happened but the low end like 15-25 hz is WAY louder than before.  Scrappy was calculating it at like a maybe 4 db gain since I doubled subs but theoretically I'm actually a little less power per sub, but I don't believe that.  Turned my amp down three clicks and its still a little overbearing.  My mains can't keep up anymore, they get to where I can't listen to them way before the subs crap out, even with the subs boosted, which used to be 6 db but should be more now.  I was expecting better low end response, that was the entire point, but quite not to this extent.  I had a 40 hz peak due to the room but I can't say that its there anymore, movies with sine wave sweeps is strong and smooth all the way down.  In other words, they sound more like ported subs that are tuned below 20 hz rather than sealed ones, they just take off down low rather than fade away and beg for EQ as would be expected with sealed.  

I'm 4' from the back wall, and them being lined up in a row may be acting as an array, not sure if these things have anything to do with it or not.  These new boxes are much heavier as well.  I haven't ran Audessey yet, but I've got a MiniDSP on its way so I'd just be wasting my time running it now.  Will be dinking with REW quite a bit at that point.  

Metro, that is part of the beauty of using multiple subs.  More spl, better low end response, less power, less distortion, better room response.  A role of subs is an array which delivery even more bass.  Nothing to do until you can run sweep and then EQ to a flat response.  At this point it will be about balance, not sheer power.  You want things to sound like they are well mated in the movies.  Sounds like mission accomplished!  The thing about an array is directivity out to the seating area vs omnidirectional.

I don't know why you don't believe me. Look at the spec sheet for your amp. It clearly states 775 watts per channel at 4 ohm. Which is exactly what your dual 2 ohm sub is wired at before. So 775 before. Now you are running two subs at a total load of 2 ohms. Amp states 1200 watts per channel at 2 ohm stereo. 1200 watts to a channel with two

Woofers. I'd say split it equal and you are getting 600 watts per woofer.

And if you just left your amp where it was before and hooked new subs up of course it's gonna be louder. You went from 1550 watts and dual 18's to 2400 watts son 4 18's. Makes sense to me.

Also aren't your boxes thinner?

And also, i feel you and I have became pretty good friends, not sure why you would come on here and say don't believe what I was telling you?

I don't know why you don't believe me.

I believe you just fine on the amp output.  What I don't believe is that I only gained 4 db down low.  Has nothing to do with amp specs.  Don't read too much into that.  

This amp isn't even exactly the greatest sub amp, as I mentioned last night it has an admitted 6 db per octave slope below 20 hz, which to me is unacceptable.  Crown doesn't even try to hide it, plus you can't override or change the limiters, which absolutely sucks.  But, I'm just not having an issue with it, not getting to the point where it matters.

They're the same thickness but cabinet grade MDF is much heavier than baltic birch, and I braced the hell out of it.

And if you just left your amp where it was before and hooked new subs up of course it's gonna be louder. You went from 1550 watts and dual 18's to 2400 watts son 4 18's. Makes sense to me.

When you both double your subs and double your power, theoretically you're supposed to get 6 db of gain. I figured that's where the 4 db number came from. I just feel like I'm getting more than that down low. Up high like 70-80 hz its not like that but now its like the lower it goes the louder it gets.

I don't know why you don't believe me.

I believe you just fine on the amp output. What I don't believe is that I only gained 4 db down low. Has nothing to do with amp specs. Don't read too much into that.

This amp isn't even exactly the greatest sub amp, as I mentioned last night it has an admitted 6 db per octave slope below 20 hz, which to me is unacceptable. Crown doesn't even try to hide it, plus you can't override or change the limiters, which absolutely sucks. But, I'm just not having an issue with it, not getting to the point where it matters.

They're the same thickness but cabinet grade MDF is much heavier than baltic birch, and I braced the hell out of it.
well I've always been told by many guys smarter than me that adding a second sub would net you 3db you added two so 6 seemed right. I'm sure this is approximately also. So since you added two woofers but not at the same power I just did some quick match and came up with 4db. I mean they say 6db is tice as loud. Do you not feel like your that much louder?

And I didn't mean thinner wood. I meant the enclosure. Less deep?

If I remember right my old ones were about 20" high and 18" deep and 30" wide, had two of them, ended up being like 5 cubic feet after displacement. New ones are about 20x20x49 external, divided in half, a little over 4 cubic feet after displacement. So not really less deep, they're less wide and 20% smaller in terms of volume.

well I've always been told by many guys smarter than me that adding a second sub would net you 3db you added two so 6 seemed right.

Supposed to gain 6 if you double your subs and power which yeah guessing a 4 would seem about right. Supposed to gain 3 if you just double power. Not sure if you just double subs and spread the power out.

If I remember right my old ones were about 20" high and 18" deep and 30" wide, had two of them, ended up being like 5 cubic feet after displacement. New ones are about 20x20x49 external, divided in half, a little over 4 cubic feet after displacement. So not really less deep, they're less wide and 20% smaller in terms of volume.
man I wouldn't think it would make a big difference. But that 2" in depth could change frequency response. Like as far as placement I mean. Technically your woofers are 2" further out now. So that would slightly change where peaks and nulls would at theoretically.