what's the ultimate sub build? :)

Paducah Home Theater

The most effective braces go from the center of one panel to the center of the one across from it if you can fit them in around the driver.

Yeah that's what I'm doing with the square dowels, done with everything else, those dowels will be in a "+" shape attached to those braces in the middle of each panel.  Should have made an entire panel with a big circle cut out like in the marty subs maybe but couldn't figure out how to assemble it.  

Derrick, you may appreciate this, been trying to see if there was a feasible US made alternative to the Ultimax just because I hate Chinese stuff, but I'd really only consider it if the voice coil inductance was lower.  Typically a lower Le means less distortion and means less impedance gain up high, which likely means more definition for my beloved bass guitars.  

So:

Ultimax 2+2:  1.48 mH actual measured by data-bass

LMS Ultra 2+2: 1.96 mH

Fi SP4, 1+1, the 2+2 should be worse: 2.61 mH

Stereo Integrity 2+2:  4.0 mH

Sundown ZV4 2+2: 4.0 mH

RE XXX 2+2: 8.42 mH

Only 18 I've found that has a stupid low Le that's better than an UltiMax while maintaining a low Fs, decent xmax, and fairly high xMech, is the AuraSound NS18.  I'm considering that the ultimate at this point.  xMech is 75mm, Le is like 0.41, Fs is 20 hz.  I've never seen anything else be that rounded.  

Thought Fi Q's fit the bill but Fs is still 32 hz and they don't publish Le anymore, not sure what it is, internet chatter seems to think it's higher than I envisioned.  

http://www.parts-express.com/aurasound-ns18-992-4a-18-pro-subwoofer-driver-4-ohm--296-260

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Looks like Mr. Seaton is doubling down on sealed Ultimax's. Four of these will run you the low low price of $8,000. I guess that's each with a separate Speakerpower amp though? Even if you ran three of them as slaves that's $5,400.

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/new-f18-subwoofer-f18-f18-7829726

F18-Mark-stack-800.jpg

The Aura driver is much more costly than the UM 18 by around $400, wow.  Mark Seaton knows a good thing or two on subs.  He will use the UM 18 and add a hefty price tag.  The UM 18 have very low distortion and are just a good bargin.  I love mine.  These subs have not even flinched considering the things I throw at them at reference level.  My room is fairly easy to EQ, no peaks to worry about due to the number of subs and being spread around the room.

Your build is going great and I bet you will be smiling when things are all done.  Now, I am painting the room since it was to light since adding the projector.  I didn't want a big project but, that is what it has become, lol.  I can't wait to see some pic's of your room!

• Like 1

Talked with Mark awhile last night on the phone, he had some interesting ideas, also has a custom Speakerpower amp that he said I could be a guinea pig for. Might just do that. Sounded like it has a softer limiter while still being flat at 7 hz. These cheaper amps like the xls and inuke either limit very hard with relays clacking or they clip and sound like a jackhammer.

I am painting the room since it was to light since adding the projector.  

What are you painting it?  I tried several, finally settled with flat black from the Home Depot.  It eats up stray light and doesn't show roller marks but it scuffs easily.  

It eats up stray light and doesn't show roller marks but it scuffs easily.

It holds dust as well.

yeah I trimmed my room in flat black to match what was already there but I HATE it. Every little scuff shows. Million little scratches around every door handle. You can tell where I have barely touched the vacuum against the trim. Won't have it anywhere in the next theater build.

It eats up stray light and doesn't show roller marks but it scuffs easily.

It holds dust as well.

yeah I trimmed my room in flat black to match what was already there but I HATE it. Every little scuff shows. Million little scratches around every door handle. You can tell where I have barely touched the vacuum against the trim. Won't have it anywhere in the next theater build.

That's why my trim is bright white enamel. :)  I'd never put flat black on trim or doors.  Black maybe, but it would be at least semi-gloss enamel.  

Otherwise it's not really an issue except for kids who aren't trained yet, and idiots like delivery guys who for some reason have to rest against the wall and place a greasy hand on it.  

As for dust, yeah it sucks on speakers that are horizontal, even one step up with matte.  Walls, I don't know that I can say that dust is accumulating on my vertical walls.  What does suck is drywall work, if you ever go to cut any, you better tape the wall up and have plastic sheeting because if it falls on your wall, it will never be right again.  You'll try to wipe it off then it will just look awful afterwards.  

Ceiling though, no brainer unless you're putting a star display up or something, flat black is awesome.  I see all these pictures of people's rooms and the ceiling is glowing, makes no sense to me.  

Sherwin Williams has a matte black in their Duration paint which is scrubbable, but it needs to be sprayed on.  Rolling it doesn't look so hot.  If you can spray and want black, I'd say this should be the best of both worlds, almost flat black with none of the side effects.  

We had a halloween party where a bunch of 3-6 year old kids were over and they were literally scared of my room, they were freaked out about how black and dark it was, especially the ceiling.  They did not like the black ceiling at all, it's like it made them nervous that we were in a cave or something, all they had ever seen was white.  When the lights went out and the screen went black they were pretty uncomfortable/nervous.  It was slightly amusing.  

I am painting the room since it was to light since adding the projector.  

What are you painting it?  I tried several, finally settled with flat black from the Home Depot.  It eats up stray light and doesn't show roller marks but it scuffs easily.  

I am going with a dark blue-gray.  The paint is Semi-gloss and should cut down of light/light reflexions.  The BenQ projector lights up the room like high noon, even on the dimest settings.  Great pic and very vibrant,lol.  There is a mod for the I Nukes that will let them get down in the single digits but, I am not interested because more output higher up with the vented sub is more than enough.  The Aura shakers fill in the gap between 10-15 Hz nicely with the subs.

For me only, there is a point that no more output is needed to still enjoy the movie.  The are some guys putting couch risers with 2-4 couple of 18's.  I am not sure if it is for tactile feel or to launch into space, lol.  I will most likely do a few more wall Tx's since I am into music and SQ is real important.  At least I am very happy with the RF 7 system and have no plans to upgrade any further.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Looks good. Are they easily maneuverable? I'm guessing at least two people to move them, or a dolly.

No, not maneuverable at all, have to use a dolly, you can see the wheels of one to the side a little. I can't even pick one up, it's too awkward. Going to be a total pain when the baffles are on and subs are mounted. Then 300 pounds of granite goes on top of that, but it's in two pieces so I can assemble that in the room. Tried to scoot them last night a little but smashed a corner. It's getting a roundover anyway so it doesn't matter but I won't be doing that again. It would be ok with two people but my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm as much so she's not always available and I don't really have anybody else.

When I built the subs this past summer, I did not put the drivers in until they were down in the basement.  I don't have much help either.  The wife did help but, I still brought a dolly.  All my subs except for the two Martys' and on riser with wheels.  It makes moving them around a lot easier.