Am I Crazy? (keep it on topic)

I hope you're ready for the rollercoaster! I think i'm going to pick up a used Schiit Gungnir. Further reading on the Audio-gd stuff reveals some persistent USB issues. And it was going to be nearly $600 after shipping (plus customs).. which is used Gungnir territory.

And it seems to be holding up to the test of time over these past couple years.

And then my rig will be nearly 100% American made, minus the MacBook Pro, for what that's worth.

Skipping the passive pre for the moment. The amp I got from Maynard has dedicated channel controls and I think my aversion towards them is simply a lack of experience. So I'm going to give that another try for the sake of reducing components in the audio chain.

Doesn't airplay compress the music? As in it's a lossy transport... I was just at some audio demo in Chicago where we heard the difference.

Btw, every delta-sigma DAC is upsampling these days, and that's what your high end DACs are using. There are only advantages to this when implemented properly. In fact, when you increase the audio rate (say from 44.1kHz to 192kHz), the sound can actually get worse because you have less oversampling if you're using the same DAC for both. That might sound backwards, and there are a billion caveats to that, but the point is oversampling is a good thing...

picking up Gungnir after work today. USB gen 2 upgrade has been ordered. Using Audirvana+ for the playback software and it seems pretty solid from an audio quality perspective.

It's not ESS Sabre, Schu, but by all accounts its a very detailed and revealing DAC. And I love that absolutely zero resampling takes place in the DAC, VCXO's, etc.

And it's American made. cool.

No passive pre at this point. I've been using the built-in independent channel controls in earnest and it's not so bad.