3 Channel amp or stereo amp with mono for center?

Scrappydue

The Monoblocks are nice. IF choosing between the XPA3 and XPA5, go ahead and get the 5.

Also, if go Emotiva, join their e-club, buy your stuff, and you can probably come out a little less even after the e-club membership.

Edited by gadgtfreek

The Monoblocks are nice. IF choosing between the XPA3 and XPA5, go ahead and get the 5.

Also, if go Emotiva, join their e-club, buy your stuff, and you can probably come out a little less even after the e-club membership.

Plus, EMO has the occasional closeout, warehouse sales & ebay Store (jadedesign). 

edit: When buying multiple mono blocks from OUTLAW... you can save from 10-30%. (3 blocks save 14%) 

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

Pretty happy with the Emo myself. I run the XPA-5 with KLF series that are crossover and tweeter updated. Mine is Gen 1, 4ish years old with nothing but great performance. Some details to consider between the XPA - 2,3 and 5. I talked with EMO rep Lonnie at an Axpona show and also read a thread he started on the Emo site about actual power out of a multi ch amp when only 2 ch.s are used. Typical of an A/B amp for them to put out more power with fewer ch.s used.

XPA-2   1200va toroidal, 45,000uf storage caps, 300wpc-8 ohms, 500wpc - 4 ohms

XPA-3    850va, 60,000uf, 200wpc - 8, 300wpc - 4(Gen 1),330 wpc - 4(Gen 2) This amp tested two ch driven at 250wpc - 8, 400wpc - 4

XPA-5   1200va, 65,000uf, 200wpc -8, 300wpc - 4(Gen 1) Emo never published the specs on this amp for 2 ch but based on the larger power supply they could be no less than equal to the XPA - 3.

In conversation with Lonnie the question was asked why by the XPA - 2 over the five if they were that close. The 2 had a few more bells and whistles. He stated that the XPA - 5 was way underrated when it came to 2 ch but if the specs were published.... I would expect the 5's specs to be well underrated at 3 ch.s driven as well.

I did order up the 2 and had it for a direct compare with the 5. I still own the five as to my ears it was no less than the equal to the 2.

All that being said you have an incredible set of speakers. If you can order and do a head to head I would surely lean that way! Enjoy!

Depends on speakers. I've had xpa-2/3/5 upa-2 and sherbourn pa7-350. All exhibited a slight hiss from every speaker I've owned Except for my thx ultra 2. Now the hiss was only audible from a few inches from the horn so it was a non issue.

Last night I got a new toy that may hinder me spending money again for a while.

Dont leave us hangin man, what is it???? Cuz based on your past toys, I'm betting this is a good new toy!!!

hmm your on to something. I did just open up a new Svs pc-12 plus for my upstairs living room. Gotta eq tomorrow. But that's not THE new toy. The new toy will probably get its own thread this weekend or early next week. Stay tuned.
  • Like 1

Quick question for those who have/had the Emo XPA-3, XPA-5 or Outlaw Monoblocks....

Considering that you have solid clean stable power (& capacity).... how are they for noise/hum?

Are they quiet?

The only slight hiss I get is through my Emotiva UPA-1 monoblocks. Not sure where in the chain the slight noise is from exactly. It may even be due to being paired with the Commercial Klipsch KP's, cables, my pre.....no idea. I have never tried to track it down since it is very insignificant. I have been listening to my Outlaw M2200's all night and they are completely noise free.

hmm your on to something. I did just open up a new Svs pc-12 plus for my upstairs living room. Gotta eq tomorrow. But that's not THE new toy. The new toy will probably get its own thread this weekend or early next week. Stay tuned.

You are going to put those Palladiums to work with some channel magic? Hmmm..... :D

You are going to put those Palladiums to work with some channel magic? Hmmm..... :D

ill take the guessing out of it. It has nothing to do with home theater or two channel music. Although......

Quick question for those who have/had the Emo XPA-3, XPA-5 or Outlaw Monoblocks....

Considering that you have solid clean stable power (& capacity).... how are they for noise/hum?

Are they quiet?

My XPA-3 was quiet on the RF82ii's for hiss, and no hum. My 7500 had hum issues I had to fix a couple of weeks ago, but that was just DC offset and the larger torroidal transformer than the XPA-3 had.

ill take the guessing out of it. It has nothing to do with home theater or two channel music. Although......

Winters over, great weather has arrived. Not 2 channels.... I'm guessing 2 wheels?
just bought me a harley last summer.....