Very cool - cube in a cube

sputnik

Fascinating yes, but so much more than just that. I've been around machining/machinists for nearly 30 years and this guy has some freakin' skills. The talent of a machinist, artist in one. Not only in machine set up but to visualize the completed piece. Free hand on a lathe no less. It would take countless hours of programming had this been CNC'd. Extremely impressive.

Fascinating yes, but so much more than just that. I've been around machining/machinists for nearly 30 years and this guy has some freakin' skills. The talent of a machinist, artist in one. Not only in machine set up but to visualize the completed piece. Free hand on a lathe no less. It would take countless hours of programming had this been CNC'd. Extremely impressive.

Yeah, I never would've thought you could machine a cube (much less three nested cubes) just spinning a piece of bar stock on a lathe.

Very imnpressive.  I wonder if that technology is why DDD stock took a big plunge.

Edited by sputnik

Wow!

I am still waiting on a 3D printer for carbon atoms. 100% carbon manufacturing is the future. There was some scuttlebutt about a 3D graphene printer, but that turned out to be an IPO ploy for investors. I think it was some scientist in Russia that was supposedly working on groundbreaking technology for 3D printing graphene. I actually bought some of that penny stock and lost money. Not a lot, about $500. Had it turned out, this would have been a huge gainer.

We know how to make polymers very well. We even know how to grow diamonds. When we learn how to print carbon atoms, we will have arrived at the best material strength to weight ratios known to mankind. A space elevator would become a possibility, for instance.

Yeah, I never would've thought you could machine a cube (much less three nested cubes) just spinning a piece of bar stock on a lathe.

My near 30 years were with a Germany based design, engineering, manufacturing company producing multi-million dollar production equipment for the paper industry. Back in the day when most German companies recruited kids in their mid-teens for apprentice programs, since ours was manufacturing based, one of the courses was proper hand filing. Yes there is a right and wrong way to file metal. As a final test they were given a piece of round stock and in a given time, hand file it to a perfect square.

Here in the US many of our best machinists were of Eastern European decent. Well educated, well taught and knew their stuff.

Very imnpressive.  I wonder if that technology is why DDD stock took a big plunge.