Isle of man - Superbike - Sun 7 Jun 9:00 EST

mustang guy

The way he recently changed his riding style to compete with Marquez and Lorenzo, pretty amazing, especially while in his late 40s.

Though he's been racing since the age of 16 and won his first GP championship on 125 cc 2 strokes at 17, Rossi is only 36 years old...

Update: The superbike races have been postponed until tomorrow (Sun 06 Jun). I assume at 14:00 GMT, which is 9:00 EST.

Here is the qualifying list:

http://www.iomtt.com/~/media/Files/2015/Start-lists/RST%20Superbike%20Start%20List.pdf

For those of you who are into bikes, I tore up my yard with this thing the other night.  Brand new top of the line Sherco that a friend bought to use as a demo for a specialty bike shop.  The engine is insane, just super fast to rev up and back down, you can make it burp and bring it back to idle in virtually no time.  I've ridden a Yamaha YZF450 and this thing is more fun for woods riding.  

11390379_1599131917030020_86641953869802

I've never seen one of those up close. I sold my Husky TE510 a year and a half ago and miss it. Was thinking of getting a little RM-Z250 to fart around on here at the house. I will look and see if there is a Sherco dealer anywhere nearby. I like the looks of that thing!

Here are a couple bikes I did have:

08 Husky TE510 stripped down for racing. 60HP at the rear tire and a bike that weighs 236 lbs dry weight...

IMG_1612-1.jpg

03 DRZ with Yoshi exhaust, Keihin race carb, Excel Rims, Talon Hubs, and Pilot Powers tires. I REALLY miss this little bike!

IMG_1637.jpg

I also had an RM-Z250 but can't seem to find any pics.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

The way he recently changed his riding style to compete with Marquez and Lorenzo, pretty amazing, especially while in his late 40s.

Though he's been racing since the age of 16 and won his first GP championship on 125 cc 2 strokes at 17, Rossi is only 36 years old...

Yea I meant to say late 30s….still an old guy to still be racing, pretty impressive.

I ride a One Liter Duc Eater

Anybody know what it is?

S1000RR.   :)

I ride a 13 R1200 GS LC

ELcyirs.jpg

That's a nice bike, looks like fun. They are definitely becoming more popular.

Yea that S1000rr is a mean machine for sure. I would love to ride one, especially on the track. 

• Like 1

Anybody know what it is?

Almost always it's the skill of the rider not the displacement of the bike. I've seen many a boy racer on 1000cc repli-racers humbled by skilled old men on Goldwings. I'd venture to say less than 5?% of sport bike riders get anywhere near the bikes capabilities.

• Like 1

Anybody know what it is?

Almost always it's the skill of the rider not the displacement of the bike. I've seen many a boy racer on 1000cc repli-racers humbled by skilled old men on Goldwings. I'd venture to say less than 5?% of sport bike riders get anywhere near the bikes capabilities.

Speaking of Duc eaters, this is what was left of my Duc after I ate it.  Good reminder of my skillz to look at this from time to time.  The TT would eat me up -  I doubt that many mortals could recover from those "little wobbles" at those speeds with feet off the pegs.

HPIM1046.jpg

Edited by sputnik

Anybody know what it is?

Anybody know what it is?

I would guess it's probably less than 5%, very few people can take a modern bike to it's limits….I know I can't :D

Speaking of Duc eaters, this is what was left of my Duc after I ate it.  Good reminder of my skillz to look at this from time to time.  The TT would eat me up -  I doubt that many mortals could recover from those "little wobbles" at those speeds with feet off the pegs.

HPIM1046.jpg

HOLY HECK!!! I hope you were okay. That's a lot of damage. Did you get rid of the bike, or salvage any of it?

"One Liter Duc Eater" was a term used to describe Honda's Early 2000s World Superbike. They got tired of losing championships with their V45 (750cc V4) against the Ducati 1000cc V twins, so Honda made a 1000cc V twin of their own, called an RC51. It won 2 WSBK and 1 AMA SBK titles. They are becoming rare, pretty unique bike.

post-58190-0-98380000-1433630869_thumb.j

• Like 2

Anybody know what it is?

S1000RR.   :)

I ride a 13 R1200 GS LC

ELcyirs.jpg

That's a nice bike, looks like fun. They are definitely becoming more popular.

Yea that S1000rr is a mean machine for sure. I would love to ride one, especially on the track. 

That's my next bike, after I get my little girl her first car. I've loved the GS for a long time now, but they shot-up big time in price. I nicely optioned Adventurer will run $30k+

• Like 2

Right you are Ceptor

Three years ago I bought a mint '03 Nickey Hayden RC with only 1200 miles. A viscous sport bike for sure. Too radical for this old man but damn did she run and the sound from those gear driven cams, Wow. True mechanical music. Honda pulled out the stops when designing the bike as they were determined to take it to Ducati. And take it to them they did. And it didn't hurt it was piloted by Nickey in his prime.

• Like 1

HOLY HECK!!! I hope you were okay. That's a lot of damage. Did you get rid of the bike, or salvage any of it?

I was hurt pretty bad and still have some minor complications but I'd be dead if I weren't wearing good gear.  At the very least, if I weren't wearing a good full face helmet, I'd be so horribly disfigured that I'd want to be dead.  There were some good pieces left on that bike (I think I saved the Sargent seat) but that's the last time I saw it -  I was still in a wheel chair then.  I'll never stop preaching about good gear.

• Like 1

Right you are Ceptor

Three years ago I bought a mint '03 Nickey Hayden RC with only 1200 miles. A viscous sport bike for sure. Too radical for this old man but damn did she run and the sound from those gear driven cams, Wow. True mechanical music. Honda pulled out the stops when designing the bike as they were determined to take it to Ducati. And take it to them they did. And it didn't hurt it was piloted by Nickey in his prime.

Excellent!! The Nicky model is the most desired, getting very hard to find a deal on those. I like the 05/06 color scheme also, the black/charcoal colors with the silver stripes look great. Mine has the Sato low mounts, air box and a custom tune, the sound is addicting.

I was hurt pretty bad and still have some minor complications but I'd be dead if I weren't wearing good gear.  At the very least, if I weren't wearing a good full face helmet, I'd be so horribly disfigured that I'd want to be dead.  There were some good pieces left on that bike (I think I saved the Sargent seat) but that's the last time I saw it -  I was still in a wheel chair then.  I'll never stop preaching about good gear.

ATGATT (all the gear all the time) that's my motto also. People look at me funny sometimes with full face, boots, gloves, and jacket when it's 100 degrees out, but that gear can make a difference. Glad you made it through that….scary stuff for sure.

My Arai helmet did it's job beautifully.  The insurance company took it.  I wish I could've kept it but at least got to keep my face FWIW.  

Gotta be a full face helmet.  Riders who think they're protected with beanies or open face helmets should look at this study.

http://www.motorbiketimes.com/feature/gear/helmets/study-open-face-helmets-offer-as-much-protection-as-no-helmet-$21383483.htm

Edited by sputnik
  • Like 2

I have a couple of mesh jackets I wear when it gets real hot. Same with gloves; ventilated. Boots for sure. Full face helmet, and SNELL rated for me. Arai's

My Arai helmet did it's job beautifully.  The insurance company took it.  I wish I could've kept it but at least got to keep my face FWIW.  

I wore Shoei helmets my whole life, I always thought an Arai wouldn't fit my round style head as well. About 4 years ago I needed a new race helmet (5 years old is the max) and bought an Arai Corsair V. I have to say it's a very comfy helmet, and the build quality is top notch. My only complaint is shield removal takes a while.

• Like 1

A bird flew into my path on I 30. I was at 95 to 100 on a BMW K75S. It hit me just above the face shield so hard that it almost knocked me off the bike backwards. It took both lanes to regain control, then I stopped and sat on the side of the road looking at my chipped helmet. Poor bird.

SS

• Like 1

Bird hits are scary. I was riding behind a friend who hit a bird at highway speed - just a big explosion of feathers but he was able to recover as well.  Had plenty fat bugs hit my face shield that might've put me on the ground otherwise.  

I wore Shoei helmets my whole life, I always thought an Arai wouldn't fit my round style head as well. About 4 years ago I needed a new race helmet (5 years old is the max) and bought an Arai Corsair V. I have to say it's a very comfy helmet, and the build quality is top notch. My only complaint is shield removal takes a while.

Always wanted a Shoei but the Arai helmets just fit me better.  Picked up a Schuberth modular helmet last year and it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned and especially quiet.  Had reservations about a modular but according to everything I read, the Schuberth is just as strong as a rigid full face.  The internal sun visor is really slick.  German.

SchuberthHelmet004_zps8d13f01e.jpg

Edited by sputnik
  • Like 1