Isle of man - Superbike - Sun 7 Jun 9:00 EST

mustang guy

Bird hits are scary. I was riding behind a friend who hit a bird at highway speed - just a big explosion of feathers but he was able to recover as well.  Had plenty fat bugs hit my face shield that might've put me on the ground otherwise.  

I wore Shoei helmets my whole life, I always thought an Arai wouldn't fit my round style head as well. About 4 years ago I needed a new race helmet (5 years old is the max) and bought an Arai Corsair V. I have to say it's a very comfy helmet, and the build quality is top notch. My only complaint is shield removal takes a while.

Always wanted a Shoei but the Arai helmets just fit me better.  Picked up a Schuberth modular helmet last year and it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever owned and especially quiet.  Had reservations about a modular but according to everything I read, the Schuberth is just as strong as a rigid full face.  The internal sun visor is really slick.  German.

SchuberthHelmet004_zps8d13f01e.jpg

If a Schuberth is good enough for Michael Schumacher, it has to be good. I like that tinted visor idea, very nice.

I don't believe Schumi wore a Schuberth during his rein in F1.... maybe during his short lived superbike career. I thought (?) it was Arai?

I think if you check closely at past photos Schu wore Schuberth almost exclusivly as do most from F1. Not only a great helmet but German made and Germans are quite loyal to their own engineering. I do see the occasional Arai and just this year Bell is being worn in F1. I believe I've seen Bell on Kimi R this year. And in no way can we compare the Arai, Schuberth etc. to the off the half lids most of buy for bikes. My next to the top Arai was about $700 and I've read that custom fit F1 type helmets can be $5-7K.