Virgin ears and original fortés

davidt

I just purchased my first pair of Klipsch, the fortés, and only have a handful of hours of listening time. While I am enjoying their sound I want to make sure I am getting the most out of them.
Should I assume that some sort of maintenance is needed? They are all original and very clean, in original boxes, from the first owner who said they have been stored for a while now.  Thanks for any input/advice.

• Like 1

I have a set of Forte with new Crites XO and they sound great.  I don't know about changing the tweeter and midrange to titanium.  I am assuming mines has the original parts but, one day I should take a look.  Welcome to the forum David.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Hey davidt, welcome to the forum....

More of the tech guys will chime in......

There are some upgrades that can be done for sure...it's something that I have been kicking around for some time.

Just wanted to say hey....lots of good peeps here and alot of knowledge for sure...

Congrats on a fine set of speakers..

MKP :-)

Thank you derrickdj1,  

John Chi-town set me on the right path.  Since I really am unfamiliar of how the fortés originally sounded, I think I am going to have them recapped first and determine where to go from there.  I hope I'm not wasting my time but feel I should know what changes I'm making...

• Like 1

There are some upgrades that can be done for sure...it's something that I have been kicking around for some time.

Just wanted to say hey....lots of good peeps here and alot of knowledge for sure...

Cheers MKP,

Feeling the love already, or it may be the side effects of being bitten by the Klipsch bug!

• Like 1

I have a set of Forte with new Crites XO and they sound great.  I don't know about changing the tweeter and midrange to titanium.  I am assuming mines has the original parts but, one day I should take a look.  Welcome to the forum David.

Derrick;

Just remove the grills and look at the diaphragm through the tweeter and squawker horns.  If you see a shiny silver diaphragm through either, than almost certainly titanium.

Best regards,

John

Cheers MKP,

Feeling the love already, or it may be the side effects of being bitten by the Klipsch bug!

Yea the Klipsch bug....it bit me about 24 years ago.....damn bugs....

• Like 2

Thank you derrickdj1,  

John Chi-town set me on the right path.  Since I really am unfamiliar of how the fortés originally sounded, I think I am going to have them recapped first and determine where to go from there.  I hope I'm not wasting my time but feel I should know what changes I'm making...

Sounds like you have are going on the right path. Glad to see another on the forum from the NW.

• Like 1

I just purchased my first pair of Klipsch, the fortés, and only have a handful of hours of listening time. While I am enjoying their sound I want to make sure I am getting the most out of them.Should I assume that some sort of maintenance is needed? They are all original and very clean, in original boxes, from the first owner who said they have been stored for a while now.  Thanks for any input/advice.

I'm in same boat to try these horns for first time!! LOL

what did you have b4 these horns? did you here others, or you just choose these right off?

Depending on where you live, post the fact that you would lover to hear some Khorns, LaScalas, Chorus, Forte, Forte II and Cornwalls on the forum.  Fellow forum members love to show off their systems.  All the Heritage line excel in the midrange performance.  The differences will focus on the amount and quality of bass that each speaker produces.  None of the speakers require huge power.  Synergy with the other gear is key.  Also, it depends on if you will have a sub in the system.

• Like 1

Davidt,

You will love the forte's, many years of joy ahead.   I sure loved my pair until the day they started on their 2.5 month journey to the Ukraine.  Forum member Sergai was so pleased the day they arrived in almost mint condition.   Heritage(and extended) Klipsch are few and far between in those parts of the world.

Good idea to refresh the crossovers and a simple(and cheap) install with the "Crites tites" titanium diaphragms if you choose.

Bill

I just purchased my first pair of Klipsch, the fortés, and only have a handful of hours of listening time. While I am enjoying their sound I want to make sure I am getting the most out of them.Should I assume that some sort of maintenance is needed? They are all original and very clean, in original boxes, from the first owner who said they have been stored for a while now.  Thanks for any input/advice.

I'm in same boat to try these horns for first time!! LOL

what did you have b4 these horns? did you here others, or you just choose these right off?

On that system I had an old pair of JBL monitors I bought almost 30 years ago.  When they just weren't delivering so my satisfaction I and considered replacing them.  I remembered a couple of guys who had the same SS vintage receivers (Pioneer SX-1050 & 1250) that I presently have praising the Klipsch.  I realize I need to make some changes there but that's another topic.

I started doing some research and I stumbled across a pair I couldn't pass up!

Depending on where you live, post the fact that you would lover to hear some Khorns, LaScalas, Chorus, Forte, Forte II and Cornwalls on the forum.  Fellow forum members love to show off their systems.  All the Heritage line excel in the midrange performance.  The differences will focus on the amount and quality of bass that each speaker produces.  None of the speakers require huge power.  Synergy with the other gear is key.  Also, it depends on if you will have a sub in the system.

I have only recently considered a sub but hadn't planned on adding one.  I listen 90% vinyl, 5% radio and 5%TV/movies.

Davidt,

You will love the forte's, many years of joy ahead.   I sure loved my pair until the day they started on their 2.5 month journey to the Ukraine.  Forum member Sergai was so pleased the day they arrived in almost mint condition.   Heritage(and extended) Klipsch are few and far between in those parts of the world.

Good idea to refresh the crossovers and a simple(and cheap) install with the "Crites tites" titanium diaphragms if you choose.

Bill

That is quite the journey!

Mine is just beginning.   :) 

Do you suggest changing the diaphragms at the same time?  My intention is to hear them as much to original as possible before any tweaks. 

Thanks,  David. 

I have only recently considered a sub but hadn't planned on adding one. I listen 90% vinyl, 5% radio and 5%TV/movies.

I don't use a sub with my Forte speakers but, depending on the room and distace, a small sub or two could make the bass better in the room and not just at the MLP.  The Forte's are not bass shy with a 12 in. woofer and a passive radiator.  For now just take a few week to listen to the speakers before changing anything.  This way you can see how they handle a wide variety of music and see what, if anything is missing in the sound.  I like to change only one thing at a time also.  This way you can see if it really made an impact on what your are hearing.

• Like 1

Do you suggest changing the diaphragms at the same time?  My intention is to hear them as much to original as possible before any tweaks. 
While I see practically no complaints from others' changing to titanium, I'd be just a little cautious, since the change will surely change the character of the highs, even if subtly.  As I've said a number of times on the forum, I once tried out a different tweeter than the K-77s on my AK-4 upgraded K's, and went right back to the K-77's.  I wonder if many preferred the greater detail from the other tweeters, and didn't mind the slight change in compatibility.  To me, it was audible clear down to the bass, even though it was only the tweeter!  I didn't go for it in the long run.

Just sayin' to be cautious.

• Like 1

While I see practically no complaints from others' changing to titanium, I'd be just a little cautious, since the change will surely change the character of the highs, even if subtly.  As I've said a number of times on the forum, I once tried out a different tweeter than the K-77s on my AK-4 upgraded K's, and went right back to the K-77's.  I wonder if many preferred the greater detail from the other tweeters, and didn't mind the slight change in compatibility.  To me, it was audible clear down to the bass, even though it was only the tweeter!  I didn't go for it in the long run.

Just sayin' to be cautious.

Thank you!