11 of Greatest American Race Cars of All Time

Travis In Austin

I have owned a few.  And from years back the stories are always how they out performed in the corners, but more horsepower would then catch them on the straights.  No car is perfect, and I prefer handlers over muscle.  To each his own.  The 164 would take a 90 degree corner at 35 mph with one chirp of the tires, and run all day at 145 mph down the freeway.  All in Italian leather luxury.  Not everyone is into that.

I have owned a few.  And from years back the stories are always how they out performed in the corners, but more horsepower would then catch them on the straights.  No car is perfect, and I prefer handlers over muscle.  To each his own.  The 164 would take a 90 degree corner at 35 mph with one chirp of the tires, and run all day at 145 mph down the freeway.  All in Italian leather luxury.  Not everyone is into that.

If they were so great, why don't you own one now???

My Mustang would do over 145 when it had a 390 in it, I ran it from Lima to Ft. Wayne Indiana at 145 when I was a kid with the 390. It will go faster than that in the quarter now, what would your Alfa do, 85 mph maybe in the quarter?

I don't plan on being in the mustang for ever though, there is a guy up near Detroit making exact Aluminum copies of the original GT-40. I plan on eventually selling the mustang and putting my all aluminum Cammer down into one.

• Like 1

When i was young, had a friend with an alfi, dead before he made 18.

Something in the steering gave up on coast hwy, normal speed, car veered instantly to the right and in two seconds was off a cliff on to the beech 80' below.

Edited by minermark

Count yourself lucky you haven't been seduced.  The coarse blabble versus the refined growl often said only second to a Ferrari is music compared to garage band.

I think you are drinking the cool aid again, parents good friends owned two Lamborghinis, You haven't done crap till you have put your foot deep into 1,400 HP and I have.

If they were so great, you would still own one instead of just being a has had wanna be, JMHO of course.

I couldn't say.  European cars are not designed to do the things that American muscle is.  The roads are different, there are not so many straights.  Like I said to each their own.  The very measure of a quarter is not discussed with European cars.  They are never raced in a straight line except by a few punks.  You have your niche with what you know.  I will say the 164 at top speed was as stable as most cars at 55.

I have no experience with Lambos.  And you are now plunging into one upmanship instead of discussing relative merits.  I did not grow up as a rich shit punk assed superiority complexed buttwipe.

In the memory of Boxx, right about now he would be chiming in with

> :o

Edited by minermark
  • Like 1

I have no experience with Lambos.  And you are now plunging into one upmanship instead of discussing relative merits.  I did not grow up as a rich shit punk assed superiority complexed buttwipe.

:o

You know you liked that post.

I dont see you getting many "Likes" for it :blink:

Edited by minermark

The 1,400 HP wasn't the Lamborghinis, I was saying that a V-12 and 200 mph isn't much of a thrill when you have put your foot deep into a 1,400 HP big block. ;)

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Maybe some of us just want a refined road car. Maybe some of us don't have Babe Ruth's baseball bat in the wrong place.  Maybe impressing you is the last thing on my mind.  Especially given your last post where you sink even lower into genitalia talk.

Maybe some of us just want a refined road car. Maybe some of us don't have Babe Ruth's baseball bat in the wrong place.  Maybe impressing you is the last thing on my mind.  Especially given your last post where you sink even lower into genitalia talk.

Well you are the one that started ranting and raving, with a tirade of name calling. That is my honest opinion of what you are acting like.

If you like cars that wont get out of there own way, why are you getting so upset at what I think?

And where do you get off getting so offended after repeatedly trying to start crap about me regaurding Roy in the other posts, repeatedly I might add.

Edited by twistedcrankcammer