Klipsch Belles questions

bkwa1959

I have a pair of 1985 Belles in walnut and I am going to replace trim on tops and refinish cabinets,I have a chip from trim to try and match color.Has anyone refinished their Belles and if so any help as to what brand to use ,I am also going to replace the AB crossovers with ALK universal crossovers and plan on changing zip cord type wires from drivers.Any information would be helpful,thanks

• Like 1

When you say "refinish" what does that mean to you?  Removing all current finish, sanding, restaining, etc?  Or does it mean rejuvenating?  For the latter, I have used Howards Restor A Finish with great success, either the Walnut, or Dark Walnut colors.  I use 0000 steel wool, rub with the grain, let it sit for 3-4 minutes, then wipe dry.  

• Like 1

the veneer is pretty thin. I would recommend a light 'sanding' with very fine steel wool and a fresh rub of Danish Oil. Anything heavier and you will run through the wood veneer. 

This will get the scratches out and will lessen the contrast for the cup ring. I fear anything further is a complete strip and re-veneer. 

• Like 1

When you say "refinish" what does that mean to you?  Removing all current finish, sanding, restaining, etc?  Or does it mean rejuvenating?  For the latter, I have used Howards Restor A Finish with great success, either the Walnut, or Dark Walnut colors.  I use 0000 steel wool, rub with the grain, let it sit for 3-4 minutes, then wipe dry.  

Do you find that the 'Walnut' colours darken the veneer somewhat?

I always tend to use a natural (uncoloured) oil just to bring back the depth the the grain...

• Like 1

Thanks to the members who gave advice with my questions,I have removed grills,side panels and middle and floor risers to be able to steel wool and use Howard's Restore- Finish to all cabinets,replaced trim that had pieces missing with walnut trim that and everything looks great,waiting on new crossovers from ALK.My speakers had the AB crossovers and was recommended that they be replaced,so I ordered a pair of ALK universal crossovers.I will try and post pictures when finish,crossovers are at least 4 weeks from delivery.Thanks again for everyone's help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally finished with my Klipsch Belles speakers,I bought them from the original owner and due to a couple of moves they needed a little TLC. These had the AB crossovers and 1 tweeter was not working,after doing some searching here and a couple of other sites I decided to replace the crossovers with ALK universal/cornscala crossovers and ALK tweeters with Eliptrac horn tweeters.While waiting for the crossovers I did a light sanding and refinish to cabinets and I also replaced the walnut trim along top front and sides,then added 12ga copper wires to all drivers.I had a small chip on back top right corner and I used some of the original trim from the pcs I removed from sides. I was able to get a close match to the grain and it turned out ok.I will try and post some pictures.

Edited by Bobby Wilson