70's Vinyl

Mike Lindsey

Since I have had the Scott hooked up to the La Scala's, I only have one source for music at the moment and that is my turntable... a 1989 Dual CS-5000 with a Shure V15V-MR cartridge. Since my Rega Planet won't be here for another 2 weeks, I have had the opportunity to play a lot of vinyl the last couple of days.

My collection has about 550 albums, all purchased during the 4 years I was stationed in Germany from 1978 to 1982. The genre is mostly pop and rock, ranging in years from 1970 to 1982. Most people would agree, this music and timeframe would not be considered a source for audiophile type recordings. But I have to tell ya, I have found a few quality recordings amongst my collection. Here are a few that I think are outstanding:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Harvest 064-96918)

Heart - Dreamboat Annie (Arista - 062-98323)

Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill (MCA - 37040)

Supertramp - Crime of the Century (A&M HAM2) Half-Speed Master

Santa Esmeralda - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Casablanca)

Supertramp - Even in the Quietest Moments (A&M AMLK 64634)

Unfortunately, I have also played some real dogs. The Police's Outlandos D' Amour comes to mind. Even Pink Floyd's Meddle was nothing to write home about. Most of the stuff has just been middle of the road but I've got another couple of weeks to sample more. I have the entire Steely Dan collection on vinyl and will get around to playing them all by the weekend. I also have Pink Floyd's The Wall, DSOTM, Animals, Relics, Obscured By Clouds and what I believe to be their first album, The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (recorded in 1967).

If anybody has good quality recordings from this time period and genre, please let me know what they are. It's possible I may have it too. At the rate I'm going, it may take a year or two before I go thru everything.

BTW, I have been cleaning every album with my Nitty Gritty Mini-Pro prior to playing it for the first time. Upon cleaning, I then put the album in a VRP record sleeve. If it's in a sleeve, I know it has been cleaned on the machine. That too has made a big difference...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Mike,

Would you happen to have Elton John-Madman Acroos the water ? Give it a try the horns opening track are amazing on my Scott with heresy's. Turn it up to about 95db and watch out.

Also would you happen to have Bruce Springsteen-The Wild. The innocent the E Street Shuffle another awesome recording.

How about the Eagles-Hotel California known to be the best 70's LP Ever !!!

I'll think of more later ! I'm a 70's rock nut.

Craig

Well I wasn't too impressed with Madman Across the Water. My copy has a very bad pop during Tiny Dancer and I couldn't listen to it. The title cut had boomy bass and just average clarity.

Hotel California on the other hand is an excellent recording. Very deep and tight bass on the title cut. Crisp, clear highs with good separation of instruments and vocals. I would put it right up there with the others I mentioned.

Keep 'em coming...

Mike

Mike,

Sounds like you & I have some pretty similar tastes in '70s music. I also have a large collection of albums mostly ranging through the '60s, '70s & '80s. I'm hoping to retire at the end of this year. So I'll get back to trying to get my collection in a database. Going through it with a collector's guide. And I'm sure in the process I'll be listening to some of those oldies but goodies - sorry, I mean classics.

I'm interested in the cleaning equipment you were mentioning - Nitty Gritty Mini-Pro & the VRP record sleeves. Where can I learn more about these & are there any good internet sources to purchase them? Some of my vinyl has seen better days due to my youthful ignorance in not properly caring for them, but alot are in excellent condition. I want to preserve what I can. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

Any of you have 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'?

How does that double LP sound?

I like that one, haven't heard that on LP since the early '80's.

'Funeral for a friend' 'Love lies bleeding' are my fav.

What was the one album that had 'Island girl' and 'Grow some funk of your own'.(I think that was the name of the song.)

Yeah, I used too listen to quite a bit of Elton John.

Mike,

I use to have tons of vinyl until my ex-wife told me they mysterious disapeared. I still have about 20 half speed masters by MFSL wich are in excellent shape. As far as best album of the 70's I would have to say there are only a handful, some of them mentioned above.

All pink floyd from DSOTM thru the Wall are excellent. All of these were extreamly well engineered.

And of course Hotel California which I just bought on DVD Audio. Wow the sound on this DVD A is just..Amazing. whether in 2 channel or 6 channel surround.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

I have the DVD Hell Freeze over of the Eagles its absolutely amazing live music either in 6 channel or 2 channel. I actually think the 2 channel thru my tube amp is slightly warmer and less fatiging.

I haven't scored Yellow Brick road yet I've been looking but haven't found a unscratched version yet. I buy about 15 to 20 albums from a local used LP shop every month.

Craig

Why no CD?

Get a $50 Sony to hold you over.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

You can't compare a concert DVD to DVD Audio. I have some excellent sounding concert DVD's. whether I listen to them in PCM 2 channel or DD and in some cases DTS. They still don't have the sonic qualities of a DVD Audio disc.

I have Hell Freezes Over too and it is very good. But if you want an outstanding concert DVD then buy Roger Waters In The Flesh. The sound and setup features on this disc is the best I've heard and seen hands down and the DD is excellent. Roger as well as PF have always played in Quadraphonic Sound so you get excellent DD surround on this DVD. This is one of the only true DD Surround Sound concerts on the market. All of the other concert DVD may be in DD but they are recorded with mics in the back to pick up ambiant sounds. With In The Flesh you get true 360 degree sound. So if you like Pink Floyd, You'll love this disc. Now go out and buy it and get ready for the best sounding concert DVD on the market. Oh yeah, the bass on this will give your sub a fine workout too!

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

I'll add:

Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus (Master recording two record set of live performances)

Patrick Moraz - (self titled) Keyboard player that was Rick Wakefield's replacement with YES when he took an hiatus in the middle of their popularity. Excellent.

Jean Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean - Electonic fiddle that is a work out for dynamics.

All the Alan Parsons Project albums are well made and excellent mixing - my only problem is that I only really enjoy about half the mixes on each album (However, 'I wouldn't Want to be Like You' may be my favorite vinyl cut of all time).

Ditto on Yellow Brick Road and all the Supertramp stuff (Supertramp mixes and quality was always high). Madman across the Water has a really bad press made for the Columbia Record club, so you need to find one that wasn't made for that (sorry, Don't know how to tell the difference, but got a copy at a retailer after a really bad version from Columbia House).

Pink Floyd 'Darkside of the Moon' - still very neat in its discrete sounds. "The Wall" is also a favorite, but my pressing isn't quite as good as Darkside.

That is a shortlist of my favorites - I use a Beogram 1700 for listening pleasure.

------------------

Hwatkins

quote:

Originally posted by lovedrummin:

I'm interested in the cleaning equipment you were mentioning - Nitty Gritty Mini-Pro & the VRP record sleeves. Where can I learn more about these & are there any good internet sources to purchase them? Some of my vinyl has seen better days due to my youthful ignorance in not properly caring for them, but alot are in excellent condition. I want to preserve what I can. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Lew,

You can get all the info you need on Nitty Gritty from here and can get them new from places like:

http://www.garage-a-records.com/nitty.html

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?hdnMfg=Nitty+Gritty&MFGID=91

http://www.needledoctor.com/showcat.cfm?catnum=10&parentcatnum=4

I have found Garage-A-Records to be the cheapest if buying new. Just call them and they will quote you a price.

I however wanted the mini-pro because I am lazy, and also because I have a large collection that needs cleaning. This machine cleans and vacuums both sides at the same time. It retails for something like $879 (mini-pro 2 in Oak) and I ended up getting mine from www.audiogon.com for $425 delivered which is a very good deal. When buying used, that is the best place to find them.

These machines will not do as good a job as doing them manually, but I really didn't want to fuss over it. I bought some disc doctor brushes as well to do some manual scrubbing if need be.

A lot of people here also prefer the VPI machines, so you may want to check those out as well. The best price on the Discwasher VRP anti-static record sleeves were found at Sleevetown .

Let me know how it turns out...

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by NOS440:

Mike

I goofed I ment to say Honky Tonk Chateau the song I'm talking about is Get Back Honky Cat the horns on this song are incredible turn up loud !!!!

Honky Chateau is the only EJ album I do not own before 1977. There are some good horns on Caribou that I will check out today however...

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

Any of you have 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'?

How does that double LP sound?

I like that one, haven't heard that on LP since the early '80's.

'Funeral for a friend' 'Love lies bleeding' are my fav.

What was the one album that had 'Island girl' and 'Grow some funk of your own'.(I think that was the name of the song.)

Yeah, I used too listen to quite a bit of Elton John.

I have GYBR on vinyl and will check that out as well. I remember it got a lot of play back when I was in Germany. Will report back on that.

"Island Girl" and "Grow Some Funk Of Your Own" were on the Rock of the Westies album, which came out in 1975. I have that one as well, although not one of my favorites. I really like Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player, Tumbleweed Connection, Madman, Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy and hist first album, simply titled Elton John...

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by SCOOTERDOG:

And of course Hotel California which I just bought on DVD Audio. Wow the sound on this DVD A is just..Amazing. whether in 2 channel or 6 channel surround.

I have the DVD-A version of Hotel California as well, and agree it is an outstanding recording...

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by SCOOTERDOG:

I have Hell Freezes Over too and it is very good. But if you want an outstanding concert DVD then buy Roger Waters In The Flesh. The sound and setup features on this disc is the best I've heard and seen hands down and the DD is excellent

I have both of these as well and actually think the DTS version of HFO is of better quality than the DD version of In the Flesh. I love both and they get played more than any other DVD I own, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it. Smile.gif

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-16-2002 at 07:34 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Conductor:

Dire Strait's first album.

Dylan "Blood on the tracks".

Paul Simon "There goes rhymin' Simon"

Supertramp "Breakfast in America"

Little Feat "Dixie Chicken"

Gerry Rafferty "City to City"

All sound great sounding LP's on my Khorns.

I have Dire Straits's first 3 albums on vinyl, along with all the Supertramp (never much cared for Breakfast in America, however). I do not have Dixie Chicken but do have Waiting For Columbus. I also have Gerry Rafferty's first 3 solo albums after Steeler's Wheel broke up. I will check them all out and let you know what I think.

Thanks for all the suggestions...

Mike