Suggestions/wisdom for my new media room

specialkk

I'm in the process of building a new house and have a 2nd floor media room that I'm looking for suggestions on how to outfit.  I need a recommendation on a 5.1 or 7.1 system including in wall front, left, right, and ceiling surround/rear speakers and a receiver.   Room is constructed as per the attached picture.  I'm looking to keep the system cost reasonable $1500 or so if possible.  Main use of the room will be for watching movies and that's about it... will be hooked to a 4k TV.

Any help would be appreciated!

post-61509-0-40740000-1438057486_thumb.j

• Like 1

I'll start with some round numbers.  $1500 is a very modest system, so I would advise going with a 5.1 system.

• AVR 100 wpc - $500
  • Speakers - L/C/R $200 each total $600
  • In-wall surrounds - $100 each total $200
  • Sub - $400

So I've already shot the budget by $200 and we still don't have speaker wire or banana plugs for at least a $100.

To get a decent system you are just about going to have to go used for the speakers, especially the L/C/R and sub.  I've seen used Klipsch systems for about the amount of money you want to spend.

I'll leave it to others to suggest specific items, and to blow your budget worse than I did.  :rolleyes:

+++

Where are you located?  We have some members here who are unbelievable in finding quality used Klipsch in just about anybody's neighborhood.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Check out the Klipsch Garage Section.

Zeus1211996 has some outstanding home theater speakers that are close to your price range.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158212-klf-30s-c-7-medium-oak-klf-20s-10s-klf-c-7-black/

+++

Here is a complete RF-42 system for $1000 near Cleveland.  All you would need is an AVR.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/5088608033.html

• Like 2

As Sancho mentioned, your local Craigslist will be a great resource in putting together a good system on a budget. Also, places like accessories4less will help you get a better bang for your buck on an AVR. Monoprice and Parts Express are really great for the wire, plugs, and everything else you need.

• Like 2

Check out the Klipsch Garage Section.

Zeus1211996 has some outstanding home theater speakers that are close to your price range.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/158212-klf-30s-c-7-medium-oak-klf-20s-10s-klf-c-7-black/

+++

Here is a complete RF-42 system for $1000 near Cleveland. All you would need is an AVR.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/ele/5088608033.html

the rf-42ii setup would be descent but for a tiny bit more this set can be had new. I payed 1000$ if I remember for my same set from asd when I bought it.
  • Like 2

How important is surround sound for you?

$1500 into a normal two channel system could sound really nice, and then leave you options for upgrading down the road.

Klipsch by far makes the best in wall speakers, but I'm not sure you could manage an entire system for $1500. The R-3650-W II is $300 each. So five of those already kills your budget. I would try to stick with the units with actual horn loaded tweeters....If you go the dome tweeter route, then you could probably save a lot of money with another brand, and get similar results. It's the type of technology that dominates the sonic signature - all the rest is nuance.

• Like 2

Perhaps skip the in walls get w nice set of quintets for less than 500 new. Get you a denon x1100 from accessories 4 les for 250$ and then you can spend 799 on a Svs PC-2000 that has a small footprint. Barely over budget. In fact you can shop around for the quintets and find them for much less probably. You could get the older series that were nice gloss black and get the matching gloss black cap for the sub for 50 more.

• Like 2

How important is surround sound for you?

$1500 into a normal two channel system could sound really nice, and then leave you options for upgrading down the road.

Your 2.0 suggestion is solid, and of course I was thinking the same thing, but my variation was a 3.1 L/C/R with a sub, but essentially the same idea you are going for, which is put quality into the front sound stage right away, and save upgrade $$$ for down the road.

I see others now suggesting brands other than Klipsch, I knew that was coming too.  Since this IS the Klipsch board, I thought it might be best to first suggest the brand of our hosts, but obviously there are alternatives.

+++

The OP did ask for suggestions for an in-wall solution, but my suggestion is "don't do it."  I know on paper it looks like a clean solution, but free standing speakers will give you many more options with regards to placement and upgrades, whereas if you go in-wall, you will lose versatility and there is little resale value for in-wall speakers.  You would really be unhappy if you put $1500 into 5.1 in-wall speakers and they did not sound good.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Good luck with your endeavor, you came to the right place, many experts reside here.

Note: make sure the person in Bedroom #5 is invited to the movie(s) :emotion-21:

I was looking at that floor plan and thinking the same thing.  :lol:

After we help Mr. Special K spend all his money on speakers, someone really ought to offer some guidance on soundproofing and room treatments, since room treatments can be as much as 50% of a great sound in the home theater/media room. 

He is in the unique position of building a room from the ground up, so this is a great time to get things right from the start.  Many people here have built dedicated home theater rooms and can offer great suggestions based on experience.

+++

Also consider reading the information in the Klipsch Education Center:

http://www.klipsch.com/education

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Good luck with your endeavor, you came to the right place, many experts reside here.

Note: make sure the person in Bedroom #5 is invited to the movie(s) :emotion-21:

I was looking at that floor plan and thinking the same thing.  :lol:

After we help Mr. Special K spend all his money on speakers, someone really ought to offer some guidance on soundproofing and room treatments, since room treatments can be as much as 50% of a great sound in the home theater/media room. 

He is in the unique position of building a room from the ground up, so this is a great time to get things right from the start.  Many people here have built dedicated home theater rooms and can offer great suggestions based on experience.

+++

Also consider reading the information in the Klipsch Education Center:

http://www.klipsch.com/education

Well seeing that room first, sharing a common wall IS a learning curve.

Im not one to crush a mans dream(s) so i will not input on this.

• Like 1

Thanks to all of you for the wisdom.  I had to laugh when someone brought up bedroom 5 - that isn't really a bedroom, it's an office for now, but will have sound batting in the wall. 

To answer some questions: yes, looking to do in wall/ceiling install.  The boss will not allow speakers sitting on the floor no matter how pretty ;) so I'm working within what I've been given.  This is in Dallas so I don't know if there is a good alternative on craigslist - I wouldn't immagine that people are selling used in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

I was considering using http://www.klipsch.com/r-2502-w-II-system/details  and adding http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A740BL-7-2-Channel-AVENTAGE-Receiver/dp/B00J8HV5D2

This puts me at about $2200 but I think would make this room really rock for watching movies in, but since I'm not an expert - I defer to yall.  Thanks again for all of your help.

• Like 2

Thanks to all of you for the wisdom.  I had to laugh when someone brought up bedroom 5 - that isn't really a bedroom, it's an office for now, but will have sound batting in the wall. 

To answer some questions: yes, looking to do in wall/ceiling install.  The boss will not allow speakers sitting on the floor no matter how pretty ;) so I'm working within what I've been given.  This is in Dallas so I don't know if there is a good alternative on craigslist - I wouldn't immagine that people are selling used in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

I was considering using http://www.klipsch.com/r-2502-w-II-system/details  and adding http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A740BL-7-2-Channel-AVENTAGE-Receiver/dp/B00J8HV5D2

This puts me at about $2200 but I think would make this room really rock for watching movies in, but since I'm not an expert - I defer to yall.  Thanks again for all of your help.

Dallas eh ?

You have a few experts that are closer than you know :emotion-21:

I wouldn't trust that general contractors are expert in soundproofing material.  I don't know what to use, but some materials are better than others.  I also know there is a special green glue used for wall panels, and some soundproofing techniques that are used to isolate sound in a room.  We need some of our home theater guys to weigh in on this.

To answer some questions: yes, looking to do in wall/ceiling install.  

The boss will not allow speakers sitting on the floor no matter how pretty ;) so I'm working within what I've been given.  

"the boss will not allow...?  Hummph.  :rolleyes:

We also have some guys here who can help you with your negotiating skills.  You know, you allow her to put doily's on all the furniture in the living room, she agrees to stay out of the media room, that sort of thing.  :D   But then again we have some divorced guys here, so maybe you better take the negotiating tips with a grain of salt. 

This is in Dallas so I don't know if there is a good alternative on craigslist - I wouldn't immagine that people are selling used in-wall or in-ceiling speakers.

I don't know anything about in-wall speakers, but the Klipsch package you referenced looks pretty good!  The Yamaha AVR is 7.1 and there is an updated version of it.  You should note it does not support Atmos.

The argument about having free standing speakers goes to setup and upgrades, but I would like you consider the upgrade argument.  You may start with a 5.1 system, but 7.1 is already out there as a mature technology.  Atmos is an emerging technology and has a lot of buzz right now.

I prefer 5.1 (and in some cases have gone back to 3.1) but others like the new stuff and are buying Atmos ready receivers and already planning on Atmos setups.  If you want to future-proof, consider the Atmos ready receiver.  If you are sure it's something you do not want, then you are good to go.

Edited by wvu80

Ditto the Atmos receiver....

You don't need the vertical effects speakers to take advantage of Atmos....the secret sauce is in how the multi-channel is processed differently based on your speaker locations.

Btw, when you run the speaker wire through the walls, I would highly recommend running PVC conduit. It doesn't cost much up front, but makes pulling new wire soooooo much easier. And I would recommend running conduit anywhere that it might make sense to have speakers or projectors or TVs or whatever crazy scenario. You don't have to pull wire, but having the conduit in the wall gives you the flexibility...