Birthday Deja Vu

Mallette

As I mentioned to those offering gracious birthday wishes, we are in Texarkana looking at downtown buildings for a loft retirement and space for an idea I am working on for a Regional Musical Heritage Center to celebrate the rich and varied musical heritage of this area. If you are not aware of it the ground has barely be scratched to Texarkana and the areas contribution to world music. However, this is one of those personal moments.

One of the buildings we have viewed is the Pena's and the building that adjoins it in the 100 block of E. Broad. I had no real idea of what to expect as I really didn't remember what either of these were when I was growing up. But as I stared up the stairs between them I had a sense of deja vu and mentioned I remembered that my mother had once gone to a dentist downtown. I was, perhaps, 8 years old. I remembered entering a street level door and climbing a long flight of stairs. When we reached the top, there were legal bookcases with the glass doors in the hall stretching into the distance filled with casebooks. I could not remember the dentists name, but I recall that he was white haired and wore white scrubs. What I remember mainly was that his equipment looked like something from the old Flash Gordon movie serials and even at my age I had a feeling it all came from about the time those were made. The floor stand with the drills and tools was of white porcelain and had evil looking arms sticking out with pulleys and wheels, reminiscent of the things you see in abduction dreams hovering over the abductee.

Of special note was the dental x-ray. It was a dead ringer for Ming the Merciless's air defense ray guns with dark rings of decreasing size pointing toward it's target. At the other end was a soccer ball sized crystal sphere. In the center a perhaps 2 inch diameter cathode cut off at a 45 degree angle. When the doctor X-rayed my mother, I watched as a red spot appeared on the anode. It was really strange. She wanted me to see the doctor as well and I protested mightily speaking of these strange things. She eventually found me a young dentist, Dr. Bann, who had the latest equipment. Still no fun, but I felt so much better about the whole thing.

Back to the present. We made it to a long hall as I finished vocalizing my deja vu moment, and, as I turned towards the Broad street front of the building saw the image I have posted here. I immediately recognized the name. Dr. Melze. Nothing remained of the equipment but to stand again where one has not been for 55 years or so and remember...priceless.

It's what I am home for.

Dave

post-7390-0-96380000-1439040836_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I immediately recognized the name. Dr. Melze. Nothing remained of the equipment but to stand again where one has not been for 55 years or so and remember...priceless.

I love moments like this--It's something insignificant and then all of a sudden it's there and a moment in time is frozen from the past like a still frame picture. Who'd a thunk that 55 years later you would be reflecting on that event and then taking a picture with your phone! :huh: Crazy, beautiful world we live in.

Edited by Zen Traveler
  • Like 1

That story conjures up memories of going to my Godfather's dentist office in Oak Cliff.  One of his sons and granddaughter are now dentists and in their office is that white porcelain set up now refurbished and repurposed into a lamp with a plaque explaining where it came from.  Every time I see it I just know I used to spit into its sink.

While our research indicates an acceptable way to deal with lead based paint is to simply know it down and seal over it, this place, much as we loved it's totally original 12 rooms down that hall all with that type of window, transoms, and 8 of them with skylights there is another we are revisiting Monday AM and may make an offer on.  Not going to queer the deal by going into it...but if we get it a look at the kitchen it comes with is going to make our place a must stop on the way to Hope for our Forum friends. 

Dave

• Like 1

• Moderators

Things happen for a reason, if it's meant to be it will, good luck and whatever happens I hope it's best for you and that young hippie chick you married. :o  :D  Sorry couldn't help it, I think she's a cool lady.  :)

• Moderators

Nothing remained of the equipment but to stand again where one has not been for 55 years or so and remember...priceless.

It's what I am home for.

Dave

It's all about the small things Dave.  Always has been, always will be!   :wub: