Update RP-280F 2.1

busht4169

I recently posted my personal experience with the RP-280F Reference Premiere system I purchased.  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/159027-reporting-new-rp-280f/

I wanted to post my feelings on 2.1 channel as well.  For some basic setup history for those of you who care, you can see in my signature my hardware.  I used a miniDSP DDRC 88A Dirac live processor, to calibrate the peaks and lows and minimize phasing/cancelling issues.  Following the same process, yet for 2.1 has yielded magic.

Anyone interested in the new Reference Premiere Series (Replacing Reference II) will not be disappointed.  My listening room is 20Wx24Lx9H with insulated concrete walls (minimizes echoing).  Everything from Metallica's One to my vinyl of Zepplin's Stairway to Heaven is handled with such precise clarity I am staggered these speakers were so cheap...figuratively speaking.  

Using my vinyl, I could hear every pluck of a guitar string, every impact of the bass drum no matter how fast.  The R-115SW handles even the fastest metal (Slipknot and Nitro) with no issue and without becoming overpowering.  True music lovers will appreciate that the RP-280F Floorstanding speakers are so capable even at reference level.  Since I don't listen to organ music, I am happy to report the the R-115SW's 16Hz response is more than enough.  Never was it left huffing and puffing trying to hit something lower.  

Music lovers rejoice.  I love this setup.  It is a great compliment to my music collection.  If anyone would like additional details, either post to this forum or feel free to PM.

• Like 2

how are they for gaming?

Awesome!  I use 5.1 for gaming (Obviously) and crystal clear.  For PS4 and XBOX1, they seem flawless.  I can detect location via surround clearly with no lag or distortion.  Playing the Last of Us Remastered, I can almost feel the wind in certain scenes.  Detail from the L/C/R is the best with games.  Audio frame of reference is spot on.

Haaa... just noticed we were on the 2ch forum.

I'll bring it full circle with some great scores by Harry Greson Williams.

Some of the best music in gaming that rivals that of any movie.

Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvarori ain't too bad either for the iconic Halo score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLRqZPorb0

If I had to pick a Halo Soundtrack...I would say Halo 2 myself.  But they are all rather awesome.  Great choices!

• Like 2

Thanks for the vids, Nemo.  I'm not a gamer so this is out of my usual frame of reference.  For me, being able to branch out into new music is one of the great advantages of being here.

I'll give those a full listen tomorrow.

• Like 1

Anyone interested in the new Reference Premiere Series (Replacing Reference II) will not be disappointed.  

Do you have any experience with earlier RF models? I'm interested in the RP-280, but I'd really like to know if it sounds more like the older RF-3 or RF-35. I didn't care for the RF-82.

Thanks for the vids, Nemo.  I'm not a gamer so this is out of my usual frame of reference.  For me, being able to branch out into new music is one of the great advantages of being here.

I'll give those a full listen tomorrow.

The Metal Gear series from Hideo Kojima (now up #5 with Phantom Pain) has an enormous worldwide followin.One of the groundbreaking iconic games of the past 20+ years. The gameplay, graphics, characters, story-line are exceptional. That includes the epic & emotional score from Harry Gregson-Williams. His full orchestral score is so powerful throughout the game(s).... it's almost becomes a beloved "character" in the game. I have every soundtrack from each game in the series, they stand alone all by themselves. In fact the London Philharmonic (& other Orchestra's around the world) will often devote a "night" to his music. Good stuff.

The Halo series is also a great franchise featuring Martin O'Donnell & Michael Salvatori's haunting & unforgettable Orchestral score. I also have many of the Halo soundtracks as well. Definitely check them out some time. Even check out the games too,  Phantom Pain is amazing. 

Oh (btw)... I'm actually this one:

08.jpg

cerQ0p8G2OTCQ.jpg

Not this one: (lol)

07ff8e314e2798d32bfc8c39f82a9601677de34c

you know i used to love cars nismo. when i found out i was gonna be stationed in japan i could not wait to go over and see a skyline in person on the streets. when i got there and realized they made non turbo automatic front wheel drive only skylines i lost so much interest in them. i mean it was unreal how many were all over the streets. when i left there some of my favorites were the silvias, second and third ten rx-7's and they had so many badass four doors over there like the toyota crowns. i remember going to drift sessions in their industrial areas. them guys are nuts over there. yokohama bridge meets! tokyo auto salon! oh man do i miss japan!

983937_10151519927264545_389510742_n.jpg

Edited by Scrappydue
  • Like 1

ha here is a good one! my favorite rx-7 on base over there! and the black skyline sitting behind it was given to me. a pilot left it when he returned to the states. it had about 2 months worth of insurance left paid on it. i drove the crap out of it. basically tore it up. last day before it went to the crusher i ran it in to a concrete wall and then took a bat to it. its a shame how they do cars over there. no one pays the insurance and all the other stuff on them ahead of time they come pick the car up and junk it. 

249128_10151519926239545_2084766485_n.jp

• Like 1

Wicked good stuff !! My all time favorite car is the Skyline GTR-V-Spec ll... or the R34 Z-Tune.

Not sure about the earlier non-turbo, front wheel drive versions, but both the GTR-V-Spec ll & Z-Tune were All Wheel Drive, Turbo monsters.

The last Z-Tune was a 550hp beast. The 20th Anniversary model was $145K & sold out almost instantly.

Thanks for your pics !! Japan must have been full of memorable experiences. The Rotary RX-7's & the Silvia's are classic track & drift cars. I actually see Silvia's here stateside, much easier to bring them over than a GTR. 

2005_Nissan_Skyline_GT-R_R34_Nismo_Z-tun

Edited by Nismo

busht4169 is saying... "Hey, what happened to my RP-280F thread?" (lol)

Sorry... back to your regular scheduled programming.  :)

It's all good. I drive a 2004 E55 AMG, supercharged with many many upgrades. Has gotten me in trouble numerous times. Anyway. Yeah...speakers. Lol

the 115's can hit 16z??

They advertise that they can, but I did verify using a tone generator and my Dirac. It really starts huffing and puffing at 15, but 16 really does work. But you cam hear the struggle below that through the port. Klipsch isn't lying, 16hz is rock bottom for the Su but it does work.

the 115's can hit 16z??

They advertise that they can, but I did verify using a tone generator and my Dirac. It really starts huffing and puffing at 15, but 16 really does work. But you cam hear the struggle below that through the port. Klipsch isn't lying, 16hz is rock bottom for the Su but it does work.

busht4169 is saying... "Hey, what happened to my RP-280F thread?" (lol)

Sorry... back to your regular scheduled programming.  :)

Hey NISMO, I just made a post about center channels and would appreciate your input if you wouldn't mind.  Thx!