Next Incremental Improvement For my Belles?

Wolfbane

So far, I've changed the tweeters on my 1981 Belles, replaced the tweeters with Crites CT-125's, replaced the original AB Crossovers (1st with Bob's A/4500 XO's) and now have a pair of Dean G built AA XO's I scored from the Garage Sale forum here on the way.

I've also upgraded all the tubes in my Type 45 (2.5 Watt) Amp.

Logically, where do I go from here for the Belles? Replace the stock mid's with ? or?

Need to be affordable (my budget will be ~$500 or less).

Edited by Wolfbane

See https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151762-timing-measurements/page-5#entry1914019

Note that this trick works the same for a Belle as it does for a La Scala. 

The CT125s are good - but they have a little less output (SPL) as the K-77s, so your highs will be slightly attenuated.  You can partially compensate by using equalization to bring up the highs a bit.  Recommend running Room EQ Wizard (REW) running on a laptop with a calibration microphone to help you rebalance the Belles--by taking in-room measurements.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

See https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151762-timing-measurements/page-5#entry1914019

The CT125s are good - but they have a little less output (SPL) as the K-77s, so your highs will be slightly attenuated.  You can partially compensate by using equalization to bring up the highs a bit.  Recommend running Room EQ Wizard (REW) running on a laptop with a calibration microphone to help you rebalance the Belles--by taking in-room measurements.

Chris

Thanks. But I should probably add... no suggestions that if implemented end with me being rolled into a cold, dark 6'X3' hole in the backyard on the next moonless night.

Chris

Thanks. But I should probably add... no suggestions that if implemented end with me being rolled into a cold, dark 6'X3' hole in the backyard on the next moonless night.

Now that just takes all the fun out of it.

Incremental improvement? Put the 77's back in

Price is right as I believe I kept them. Finding where I stuck them will be the challenge if I decide to compare tweeters when I swap out the Crites XO's.

Using the A/4500 will put your K77 diaphragms at risk.  The AA's built by Dean you have on the way don't have zener diodes,  putting your K77 diaphragms as risk as well, however, this may only be relevant if you plan on running a more powerful amp than your Type 45.

My winter tube amp runs a pair of NOS RCA 211 power tubes and is rated at about 18 WPC. I suspect these, at 1/2 volume even Beethoven and ALK can hear these a block away when attached to my Belles and rocking.